1. Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
    Dismiss Notice

Seat Assignment

Discussion in 'Airlines' started by Robert Swope, Apr 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Just A Guy

It does seem pretty absurd from a US perspective, but that's the way BA (and a number of other European carriers) does things. To me, it seems like, if you're spending $7k on a business class round trip to London, it should include an advance seat assignment, but, unless you pay extra, or have status at BA, it doesn't.

Michelle Friedman and Neil like this.
  2. Robert Swope

Neil-- It is not a matter of paying to reserve seats now-- we already tried that. The problem is that the BA website indicates that there are simply no available seats to reserve at this time.

mmb likes this.
  3. JVillegirl541

Staff Member Advocate

Have you gone onto the BA website and tried to do a "trial" booking and see what seats come up as available. When this has happened to me, thru really really sweet interaction with the BA CS rep I have been assured that there are actually seats, but they hold them back. Another time a CSR went in a allowed me to reserve seats. Be super nice and confused!

mmb, VoR61 and Neil like this.
  4. Michael Anthony

Just a Guy is correct. The premium economy product one purchases on BA is well worth the price. For the little bit more you pay, it makes a long haul flight much more pleasant.

I've flown BA many times and always buy premium economy. And yes, you don't see the seat you reserved, until check in. I don't know why, but would assume it's to avoid any problems that might develop. Yet, I've always received the seat I initially chose. I always check in right at the time check in opens, because that can also help if there are problems. Plus, you may see a seat that looks better than the one you chose and you can move to it.

agnostic, JVillegirl541 and VoR61 like this.
  5. Robert Swope

Michael-- Our situation is such that we were unable to reserve any seats initially upon booking the flight. If we had been so fortunate, we wouldn't be worried about staying with those seats or having the opportunity to move to better seats. We certainly do intend to check-in right at 24 hours prior to departure.

6. Mike Z

Staff Member Advocate

I think what he means is that he has always gotten the premium economy seats regardless of what the website shows.

7. Michael Anthony

ROBERT AND MIKE Z: True, on both counts. One I've reserved the premium economy confirmation, it doesn't show I'm in Seat 24a, for example. It just shows confirmed premium economy. You used to be able to enter preferences, like window, don't care, etc, but that all but gone now.

And yes, Mike is right. Once confirmed in premium economy, I've never had an issue. They even have a dedicated lane at airport, which is great. I think you'll be fine. But yes, check in at the moment it opens. It can make a difference as to seat preference. I do it for all flights because if I see a problem, then I've got time to rectify it. Also, when it comes to bumping, some carriers bump based on last checked in.

I hope all goes well. It's a great trip you have planned!

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
    George M and Mike Z like this.
  8. Alan Oakes

The thing that galls me most about BA apart from their enormous fees is that when paying $5-10 k for a business class seat, they still expect you to pay for a pre booked seat fee. I can also say that more often or not 24 hrs out my wife and I have been separated when we didn't pay that fee.

However as I am platinum with American that now allows me to avoid feeif I put my AA FREQUENT flier no in

Just A Guy, jsn55, AMA and 1 other person like this.
  9. jsn55

Staff Member Advocate

I remember reading several years ago that BA charges a fee to chose a seat assignment in first class. That's enough to stop me from every flying on the airline ... completely absurd and insulting to the customer.

10. VoR61

Advocate

agnostic and Just A Guy like this.
  11. Just A Guy

I can certainly understand why this (if it had been true, which it isn't), would make you not fly them in First. Why would it make you not fly them in another class?

12. technomage1

Staff Member Forum Director

We're getting off the posters problem here, and I think it's been resolved anyway, so I am locking the thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.