• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

Sears Home Services and Sears Holdings

Oct 17, 2018
On 1/6/2019 I had the 1st of 7 service calls to fix my IceMaker on my Whirlpool refrigerator Freezer. The last ”repair” was 7/22/2019. Since we were not back to the property until 11/17/2019, we had no way of knowing that it was not working again. Called Sears Home Services again and was told we’d have to pay another Service Call for them to come back. Called the local offices (repairs & customer service) as well as Corporate and got no satisfaction. Just asking that Sears refund the $310. we paid for parts that did not fix the problem and come back and try to fix the problem without another service call. Case # xxxxxxx

Note: Edited by a moderator to remove case number

Last edited by a moderator:

VoR61

Jan 6, 2015
the United States
If you have not done so already, you can escalate this in writing.

Some do's and don'ts when writing
Do not use inflammatory language - be polite, as that increases the likelihood of success
Do not attach files - their email system may discard your email before anyone reads it
Do not start with the CEO - begin at the lowest level in the company contacts shown here: https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/sears/
Give each contact one (1) week to respond before escalating to the next level

Oct 17, 2018
I have email responses from “Strategic Member Support” from Sara Henderson. My Case # is xxxxxxxx.

Note- edited by moderator to remove case number.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 24, 2019
I have email responses from “Strategic Member Support” from Sara Henderson. My Case # is
xxxxxxx.
What did the e-mail response from "Strategic Member Support" say?

I'm sympathetic. We own a Kenmore with a non-functioning ice-maker, which was repaired 3x under warranty. Thereafter, it failed again, post warranty. Sears came out, for free (I had to persuade them to do so), but their diagnosis was that the 4th failure is unrelated to the first three failures. Eventually, I gave up, (in part because the diagnosis may be correct), other than also giving up shopping at Sears.

When I used to know this stuff, Sears was well-known for pushing customer service issues down to the lowest unit with P&L responsibility for the problem. That was in sharp contrast to others who had centralized CS functions which could overrule a local guy.

Note- edited by moderator to remove the case number.

Reactions: NiceJ
Oct 17, 2018
If you have not done so already, you can escalate this in writing.

Some do's and don'ts when writing
Do not use inflammatory language - be polite, as that increases the likelihood of success
Do not attach files - their email system may discard your email before anyone reads it
Do not start with the CEO - begin at the lowest level in the company contacts shown here: https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/sears/
Give each contact one (1) week to respond before escalating to the next level
I did follow all the recommended steps starting with the local Repairs Dept. and Customer Service Dept., then contacted the corporate offices. The last response from the corporate liaison (November 2019) just repeated what everyone else already said. “It was more than 90 days”. The last “repair” was 7/30/ 2019 and we returned 11/10 /2019. We are now back at the property (we are not here year round) and would like to have a working Ice Maker that we already paid to have fixed. I don’t understand why they can’t make an exception in our case because we were’t back here within the 90 day policy to know to know the problem wasn’t fixed.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Because the policy is the policy and they don’t care if you were there or not. Whenever you ask for an exception, it’s always up to the company on whether they want to make a goodwill gesture or not. With Sears in the financial condition they are in, this isn’t a surprise.

If you have used all our company contacts one by one leaving a week in between emails and this is the outcome, you can complete another help request, say you followed our process and have had no satisfaction. If the advocates think they can help any further they will tell you.

Reactions: jsn55 and VoR61
Oct 17, 2018
Iniatially, I only did phone calls to the Service Dept. (1 800-469-4663) and the local Customer Relations Dept. (407-677-3737). They both kept referring me back and forth to one another. And this was after 7 attempts to do the repair from 1/6/2019 until 7/22/2019. So when we got back 11/10/2019 and found the same problem, I looked on your site and contacted Ann Infusino on 11/12/2019. I received a reply from Sara Henderson who acknowledged my email & said she’d get back to me. When I didn’t hear back, I emailed Rob Baker on 11/18/2018. I then got a call from Sara Henderson on the 20th, basically understanding my issue but sticking to the company policy. I included our Case # in my request for your help. I can send it again if you don’t have it. We came back here after the Holidays and would like to have this issue resolved to our satisfaction. While not having a working IceMaker is not a hardship, it’s certainly an inconvenience. Thank you for your consideration in this matter.
Janice Hudson

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You haven’t written to the CEO. Write to him and tell him e w tot what you told us- you would appreciate him making an exception.

If you still get a no- do what I advised in post 6. The advocates need to see every email that was sent and received to see if they think they can help. Unless you write to the last contact, you haven’t completed the process we give you to advocate for yourself.

Oct 17, 2018
The CEO, Greg Ladley is President of Apparel and Footwear. Since my issue has to do with their Home Services, I only contacted Ann Infusino and Rob Baker, the other two names on your corporate list. Should I still contact Greg Ladley?

VoR61

Jan 6, 2015
the United States
The CEO, Greg Ladley is President of Apparel and Footwear. Since my issue has to do with their Home Services, I only contacted Ann Infusino and Rob Baker, the other two names on your corporate list. Should I still contact Greg Ladley?
Before you contact the CEO, you might consider posting your proposed email content here for us to review and comment.

Reactions: jsn55
Oct 17, 2018
Dear Mr. Ladley,
I’m writing to request an exemption to Sears Home Services Policy regarding the 90 Day time limit to avoid another service fee. I’d also like to be reimbursed for the $310 for parts & labor that did not fix my Whirlpool IceMaker. From 1/6/19 until 7/22/19, there were 7 service calls to address this problem, all of which fell into the 90 day policy.
However, when we returned to the house 11/10/19 and found the IceMaker not working again, were told we’d have to pay another fee because of the time frame. Since we’re not at this house all the time, we had no way of knowing it still wasn’t fixed. After several calls to the local repairs & customer service departments, was told they couldn’t waive the fee. I then contacted Ann Infusino & Rob Baker at Corporate Hdqtrs. All I got was an email confirmation from Sara Henderson, who called me a week later and said there was nothing she could do for me.
It’s now 1/21/20, we’re back at the house and would like to have this resolved. We’d appreciate you help in this matter.
Sincerely,
Janice Hudson

VoR61

Jan 6, 2015
the United States
I would be inclined to compose this somewhat differently. What you have posted is well-written, but I would lengthen it just a bit and use bulleted points. This would be my draft to him based upon your posts here:
We have property in XXXXXXX, YY that we visit periodically throughout the year. In it, we have a Whirlpool refrigerator for which we have paid Sears to repair the icemaker. This is what has happened:​
  • From January 6th through July 22nd of 2019 we had 7 service calls during which we paid $310 for parts
  • After that we left and did not return until November 10th, at which time we discovered that it had failed again
  • On November 12th I contacted Ann Infusino and received a reply from Sara Henderson that she would get back to me (specify date if you know that)
  • On November 18th, I had not heard back, so I emailed Rob Baker
  • I then received a second call from Sara Henderson on the 20th, denying my request for a refund
  • Since it was not possible for me to know within 90 days that the icemaker had failed again, I thought a refund request was reasonable. I should not have to pay for repairs that were ineffective.
We are now back at the house and would like to have this resolved. We would appreciate your help in obtaining a refund. My Case # is xxxxxxxx.​
Sincerely,​
Janice Hudson​

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2018
Thank you Neil. I sent your recommended email to the CEO. I’ll let you know whenI receive a reply.
Sincerely,
Janice Hudson

Oct 17, 2018
Neil, I received an email from Belen Jackson with the Executive Member Support Team. He is looking into issue. He left a number to reach him at, but I thought it’s better to email than call. The only thing I wonder about is that he indicated I cancelled the November service call, but did not mention it was because they were going to charge me another service fee. What do you recommend? Also he assigned me a new case number. I tried to attach the email, but it wouldn"t let me. Do you have a direct email that I could forward it to you?
Sincerely,
Janice Hudson

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Call him back, talk to him and tell him why you canceled the appointment- because they were going to charge you and you didn’t think you should be charged.

Tell him you would like an email from him confirming your call and if he says no, get his email address and send him an email listing everything you spoke about ask him to confirm . If he doesn’t, you at least have a written document of what you understood the call to say in case you need to go higher up the chain. Document the date and time you speak to him.

Reactions: Pixie Pie and VoR61
Oct 17, 2018
Just got a call back from Belen Jackson. They will not refund any of the fees I paid, because of the 90 day policy. They would waive the service call, however, I would have to pay for the repair itself because they’re considering this a new service call.
At this point, I have no confidence that they could finally fix the problem on the 8th attempt, and if so why do I have to pay for that ? I declined with the option to change my mind within 30 days. I really only want to be reimbursed the $310. Then I could find a reputable repair service .
Also, she mentioned that Sears said they put in a new IceMaker in May. No, it was just a gasket On May 28th. And a control board was put in on March 18th.. Neither of which solved the problem and cost me $310.
How can I send you her email?

Grateful for your help,
Janice Hudson