Sam's Club Refund

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 28, 2016
What can someone do if an item that is refunded at Sam's Club on 01/20/2016 to a debit credit card doesn't get to the credit union. My credit union told me Sam's Club will have to fix. Sam's Club is telling me it is out of their hands but in the mean time I'm out almost $40.00. The manager at the club told me I would have to wait 30 days. My Credit Union and someone at Sam's headquarters said that the 30 days is false. I am in the mean time at a loss at what to do. I'm on disability and really need the money in my account.

R

Realitoes

Welcome Mimi,

For some mysterious reason, companies can take your money instantly, but it takes them weeks to return it! It makes absolutely no sense in this day and age of instant communications. It has been 8 days and that should be long enough for them to return your money.

Unfortunately, there is not an instant solution to this, but you do need to stop using the phone and start getting everything in writing (creating a paper trail). It maybe that the refund will show up in the next few days, but in the meantime, I recommend you write a short, polite email to Sams Club, asking for a status and assistance with your refund. Use the Company Contacts provided by this site, starting with the Sam's online contact provided. If you don't get a satisfactory response or any response within a week, move up the chain to the executive contacts, writing one at a time, giving each a week to respond. Chances are good the refund will come through during this period, but just in case, it won't hurt to keep writing for assistance.

Please come back and let us know how it worked. Good Luck

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
SAMs Club needs to look into this for you. But sometimes it can take up to 10 days for a refund to be processed.

Use Realitoes suggestions of writing but by the time you start writing the credit might be in your account. Did you receive a receipt in SAMs showing the credit back to your card?

Aug 29, 2015
Debit cards can sometimes be an issue to refund, even though they should not be.
My spouse hates them when he has to charge someone, because if someone uses a debit card to pay and uses it as a debit card, with the pin, he actually has to get a refund CHECK generated to provide the refund. He is not allowed to refund back to the debit card. The refund check takes 30 days to be issued after all the documentation is turned in.

@Mimi would you be satisfied with a gift card instead of a cash refund? They should be able to give you a gift card, usable in any Sams's Club or Walmart nationwide for that amount, and it would be easy to spend that. Also, you might note that in many states, the Sam's Club Pharmacy is available to be used by non-members, with no extra fee. You might then be able to use the gift card at the pharmacy, if they carry anything you are on. I've often found that the Rx prices at Sam's are pretty good.

technomage1

Verified Member
Jan 5, 2015
Aug 10, 2013
Atlanta
I'm surprised they didn't offer a cash refund. If you enter your PIN, most merchants will issue a cash refund. I know that Wal-Mart does, so I would assume Sam's Club does as well. In the future, if you pay using debit and enter your PIN, you can and should request a cash refund.

Jan 8, 2015
Algebralovr raises a good point. Was the charge placed as a debit card using the pin number or was it run as a credit card with signature required? When I use my bank card and run it as a credit card, refunds appear often as pending transactions within the same day, and refunds typically happen within 2-3 business days. I cannot comment on how it works as a debit card since I only use that function at Costco and haven't ever needed to return anything.

Jan 28, 2016
SAMs Club needs to look into this for you. But sometimes it can take up to 10 days for a refund to be processed.

Use Realitoes suggestions of writing but by the time you start writing the credit might be in your account. Did you receive a receipt in SAMs showing the credit back to your card?
I ran the purchase as credit and had to sign. I did receive a receipt for the purchase. Items I previously purchased as credit before at Sam's went back on card with no problem. The difference with this purchase is that when purchased ran it as credit. Then when I returned item I was told I had to use what they called Smart Chip for now on. Sam's is making members use this now. I'm not familiar with what this does other than its something to do with security. I never had problems until I used that Smart Chip. I had no intention of using it as I always run as credit and never debit. I would take a gift card as I had to return dog food because my dog got sick off it. I was going to use money to replace it at a later date.
I will start a paper trail now. This is very scary to me because my disability is limited. I budget always. The money was for the dog food budget. I hope this get solved within a week or so because Feb is already budgeted and this could hurt me financially. Thank for all the help.

Jan 28, 2016
I ran the purchase as credit and had to sign. I did receive a receipt for the REFUND. Items I previously purchased as credit before at Sam's went back on card with no problem. The difference with this purchase is that when purchased ran it as credit. Then when I returned item I was told I had to use what they called Smart Chip for now on. Sam's is making members use this now. I'm not familiar with what this does other than its something to do with security. I never had problems until I used that Smart Chip. I had no intention of using it as I always run as credit and never debit. I would take a gift card as I had to return dog food because my dog got sick off it.
I was going to use money to replace it at a later date.
I will start a paper trail now. This is very scary to me because my disability is limited. I budget always. The money was for the dog food budget. I hope this get solved within a week or so because Feb is already budgeted and this could hurt me financially. Thank for all the help.
Word purchase corrected to read REFUND. Sorry about that.

Aug 29, 2015
That adds a lot of info, actually. It sounds like you swiped and signed, and when you came back they had switched to chip and sign. The chil has a lot to do with security and has been in place in other countries , but is new to the US. A number of the companies are slow to get their chip machines working correctly

You stated you returned the product on 1/20/2016. You should have a return receipt. Don't lose it! The money should go back to your account right away, but for some reason can take up to a month. Meanwhile, if the funds are not there by the end of the day Monday , you might contact both Sam's Club and your bank, state that you arr checking on the status of the refund and give the info off the receipt . There should be a reference number for them to track it in the banking system.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I'm surprised they didn't offer a cash refund. If you enter your PIN, most merchants will issue a cash refund. I know that Wal-Mart does, so I would assume Sam's Club does as well. In the future, if you pay using debit and enter your PIN, you can and should request a cash refund.
Rebecca is right, they should have given you a cash refund.

Jan 8, 2015
Many companies will require you to put refunds back on a card if the item was purchased with a card. this is actually a meaasure to avoid fraud and theft. Would you want a criminal to steal your credit card, buy $500 worth of stuff and then return it for cash? Likewise, a card company charges extra interest in many cases on cash advances. If I go buy a product and then return it for cash, I am gaming the system.

May companies have instituted the smart chip recently here. My Amex has one and whenever I go into lowes I slide the card into the slot and it sits there for 20 seconds or so while the card is verified. The problem is that all the information these days is usually imprinted in the bar code so even if you don't have your card at the time of refund, they can credit your card back anyway. This has happened at both Lowes and Walmart for me.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Many companies will require you to put refunds back on a card if the item was purchased with a card. this is actually a meaasure to avoid fraud and theft. Would you want a criminal to steal your credit card, buy $500 worth of stuff and then return it for cash? Likewise, a card company charges extra interest in many cases on cash advances. If I go buy a product and then return it for cash, I am gaming the system.

May companies have instituted the smart chip recently here. My Amex has one and whenever I go into lowes I slide the card into the slot and it sits there for 20 seconds or so while the card is verified. The problem is that all the information these days is usually imprinted in the bar code so even if you don't have your card at the time of refund, they can credit your card back anyway. This has happened at both Lowes and Walmart for me.
Mike anytime I use my debit card and do a return, they always give me cash back. They tell me it's a cash transaction.

Jan 8, 2015
Mike anytime I use my debit card and do a return, they always give me cash back. They tell me it's a cash transaction.
Did you use it as a debit card or a credit card? When I use mine as a credit card they refund the money right back to my card. (bank account) if it was used as a debit card then it is a cash transaction and should be refunded as such.

Aug 28, 2015
New York
Word purchase corrected to read REFUND. Sorry about that.
You used a card with a visa or MasterCard logo? Either way your refund should have posted. There is an issue or an oversight. Call your issuer and dispute the charge. Tell them you returned the items. If the refund appears during this process, then you can close it. You will have the provisional credit in the interim and hang on to that receipt in case your bank needs proof of return.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Did you use it as a debit card or a credit card? When I use mine as a credit card they refund the money right back to my card. (bank account) if it was used as a debit card then it is a cash transaction and should be refunded as such.
I used it as a debit card, not a credit card. When used as a debit card, they will give a cash refund.