1. Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
    Dismiss Notice

Royal Caribbean refuses to honor our stockholder benefit

Discussion in 'Royal Caribbean' started by coralsprng, Oct 13, 2016.

1. coralsprng

My wife and I are scheduled to sail on the Celebrity Silhouette on October 22,2016 for a 14 day Mediterranean Cruise. .My wife and I are shareholders in Royal Caribbean Cruise Line who offers a $250 cabin credit to stockholders.

On September 27, 2016 I applied for the credit.. A few days later I received an email from Royal Caribbean rejecting my request stating that we were not eligible for the credit because of an "OPAQUE" price code.

My wife and I have sailed on Celebrity in the past and never had a problem receiving the credit due. It is one of the reasons we purchased the stock and sailed on Celebrity.

We were never informed by our travel agent, cruise.com, or the cruise line at the time of booking that we would not be entitled to the stockholder benefit. No where in the cruise documents does it mention an OPAQUE price code or a restricted price of any type.

I called Customer Service at the cruise line and was told I am not entitled to the credit because I am paying an OPAQUE price. They admitted that they do not list the type of rate on their documents or inform the travel agents of the type of price code. I emailed Ms. Gari at Royal Caribbean (I obtained her email address from Elliott.org.) She wrote back that I should call customer service, who I had already called.

I called cruise.com and was told that they did not know it was an OPAQUE price code. I am getting a runaround and cannot get anywhere.

2. jsn55

Staff Member Advocate

If your travel agent didn't explain that you purchased something out of the ordinary, or they don't know what they sold you, they should provide you with the credit. Since it's an OTA, that's probably not going to happen; they really just take orders and probably don't have access to as much information as you do. I would write (stay off the phone) to the cruise line and ask for an explanation. Be polite and tell them that you deserve the credit because you're a shareholder.

Patina likes this.
  3. AAGK

By Opaque does Royal mean your agent used an unpublished fare/rate? Your discount probably only applies to published rates (available to everyone). If you used an already discounted rate then the promotion/offer may not apply. That's how I interpret the response. Usually promotions/discounts/offers can't be stacked unless the terms say otherwise. Did you let your agent know that you planned to use this offer? Maybe she found you a better rate.

jsn55 and Patina like this.
  4. Realitoes

Did you tell the travel agent when you booked the cruise that you wanted to apply your Shareholder's benefit? The agent would have to verify directly with Royal Caribbean to find out if it could be applied towards your specific booking. Royal Caribbean is the one that limits use of the shareholder benefits per their restrictions:

"Benefit is not combinable with other onboard credit offers, general loyalty offers, “dollars off/wave” promotions, savings certificates, onboard chartered sailings, certain group sailings, certain price programs or bookings made at a reduced rate or travel agent rate."

Unfortunately, this really isn't an issue with your travel agent unless you notified them at the time of booking. All you can really do is write Royal Caribbean and request they make an exception in this case.

Neil, jsn55, AAGK and 1 other person like this.
  5. sas80

Staff Member Advocate

I would write RCCL. Start with CS and then, if CS declines, move to the executives. Write one a week and move up the chain if they don't budge. My point of contention is that they way the TOS is worded, it is unknown to the shareholder if they are entitled to the credit. As a shareholder I would at least like to weigh my options to determine if it is more advantageous to book directly with RCCL and get the credits, or to book with another source and not get the credits. Thing is, you cant do that unless RCCL is transparent about it's restrictions.

You can always transfer the booking from your TA to RCCL directly, and probably get the credit. You would need to know if this is financially advantageous and beware of any penalty fees the OTA might impose.

Good luck.

jsn55 likes this.
  6. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

That is exactly right. You needed to tell the travel agent at the time of booking you were planning on applying for the discount. The price you paid was probably a discounted price which can't be mixed with the shareholder benefit. If you didn't tell the travel agent, it is not their fault. They most likely had groups space they booked you into which was lower priced and probably came with an amenity. Are you getting on onboard credit from the agency?

But the price you paid is probably better than you would have received with the credit, so I don't think I would have an issue with this.

jsn55, cp556 and AAGK like this.
  7. Joe Farrell

you're leaving in 8 days - its too late to accomplish anything - they'll just not respond to the email untul after you get back.

Does the $250 shareholder benefit contain words like: "Subject to approval and only valid for certain sailings, or certain price levels or cabin codes etc?"

If it has that language - then not only is your cabin code OPAQUE but so is your DISCOUNTt CODE. . .

Fight it when you get back - but if there is language giving them the final say - then they have the final say. Your travel agent may have to end up eating most of it for not booking you on a publicly availabl booking code.

jsn55 likes this.
  8. AAGK

I would have a convo with travel agent about the rate booked (i assume it was better than the coupon would have offered). I would then try and leverage that 250 into into something extra onboard (a bottle of champagne, some spa credit, etc). Then you will get the benefit of both and not have to deal with this once home as it's unlikely you will see any cash anyway. This approach requires no anger and a great attitude.

jsn55 likes this.
  9. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

This requires the agent to give back money out of their commission which is very little if the cruise was discounted .

If the letter writer did not tell the agent their intentions before they booked so they could have booked them at the full rate vs. the discounted price they paid the agency did nothing wrong. The consumer can't hold back info from the travel agent.

"Benefit is not combinable with other onboard credit offers, general loyalty offers, “dollars off/wave” promotions, savings certificates, onboard chartered sailings, certain group sailings, certain price programs or bookings made at areduced rate or travel agent rate."

Royal doesn't allow double dipping on discounts- the terms state that the discount cannot be applied to already discounted rates. How much clearer can this be?

10. AAGK

You misunderstood. The agent of course should not give back a thing. I meant just mention the coupon and find out from the agent the savings he secured in the place of the coupon, in a friendly, not compensation way. If I learned it was a good deal, I would drop the whole thing. If not, then I still wouldn't ask for compensation. I still may ask for something onboard but not push the issue if the staff wasn't receptive. This is definitely not on the agent at all but the pax seems a bit vague on booking details so he should have them and I'm sure the agent has no prob giving them.