Rocky mountaineer

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Mar 29, 2021
Has anyone been able to get refund on trip with them? My friend Lynn Levy and I booked a trip with them in December of 2019 from Vancouver to Calgary. The trip was scheduled for June of 2020. They notified us that everything in Canada was cancelled due to Covid. We rebooked for June of 2021. On March 16 we spoke with amber Colquhoun at Rocky mountaineer. Canada was still requiring quarantine when entering the country and this was being decided on month to month basis. Our trip was scheduled for June 10 and quarantine is not something we can do as the cost would be prohibitive the only options offered were rebooking later in the summer or next year. My friend and I would both be 80 at the time and travel may not be feasible. Amber stated that the trio fell under an act of god and was not available for refund. The trip has cost each of us over $7000. We did buy trip insurance from Allianz but are in process of contacting them to see if we purchased coverage that covered cancellation for any reason which would refund us 75% of our cost any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated

Jun 24, 2019
The Rocky Mountaineer web site is full of complaints about changing terms and conditions following the cancellation of many tours. My sense is that they simply do not have the money to refund all of their disappointed guests.

Our experience with RM in 2018 was very disappointing and they were not truthful in dealing with us.

Thus, if you can actually get a refund of 80%, as Vor61 suggests above, take the money and run.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I agree with SoCal. Canada is still closed and much of Rocky Mountaineers business is Canada. They most likely don’t have funds for a refund,. If you have a CFAR policy, file a claim but make sure the policy isn’t for a credit - some CFAR policies don’t offer a refund, only a future credit.

Jan 6, 2021
Houston, TX
Their associated policy can be found at this link: Cancellation by Passenger

which states:
DAYS PRIOR TO DEPARTURE: 61+​
DEPOSIT PER PERSON (CAD): 20% of package price​
CANCELLATION PENALTY PER PERSON (CAD): 20% of package price​
If you cancel soon, it seems to me that you would receive 80% of your deposit back
With any luck, you could cancel and get your 80% back from them and the other 20% from your travel insurance. I hope it works out!

Aug 30, 2015
I don't think you could come into Canada even if you did quarantine as tourism is not a listed reason to be allowed to enter, so that should not be a consideration. For all intents and purposes, your entry is blocked. So rather than say you are unable/unwilling to quarantine, the argument would be that you're not allowed in the country. Unfortunately, they only seem to extend the border closure a month at a time, which is not helpful for a trip in June. I've read some stories about this company and it is shameful they don't refund. Good luck.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I don't think you could come into Canada even if you did quarantine as tourism is not a listed reason to be allowed to enter, so that should not be a consideration. For all intents and purposes, your entry is blocked. So rather than say you are unable/unwilling to quarantine, the argument would be that you're not allowed in the country. Unfortunately, they only seem to extend the border closure a month at a time, which is not helpful for a trip in June. I've read some stories about this company and it is shameful they don't refund. Good luck.
This is not the only company that has done this. Many travel suppliers did- they simply don’t have funds to refund. It’s better to issue a future credit than throw their hands up and go out of business and people lose everything.

This is something that has never happened in the history of modern travel.

Reactions: Comicman and VoR61
Aug 30, 2015
This is not the only company that has done this. Many travel suppliers did- they simply don’t have funds to refund. It’s better to issue a future credit than throw their hands up and go out of business and people lose everything.

This is something that has never happened in the history of modern travel.
We have conflicting perspectives on the refund issue. They should not have incurred any significant expense for a future trip at the time that covid-19 came along, so to hold someone's money hostage is not something I agree with. They would have had access to many programs from various levels of government in Canada to help them through this time and there are lots of non-travel businesses who have to figure out how to keep afloat without keeping people's money for years. Why should an airline, resort., cruise ship or train company be allowed to keep customers' money while all of the industries that don't have that advance purchase luxury have to fend for themselves? They should not.

Jun 24, 2019
I agree with Bill. Companies with extensive written terms and conditions on which they and their legion of lawyers reply ought to follow those rules. When disaster strikes, they ought not be heard to change their own rules for their benefit and tell the customer that what the customer read and agreed to does not count anymore. In the case of RM, the have apparently retroactively changed the rules. Since RM is privately held, we don‘t know if RM is sitting on a $1 in their bank accounts or a billion. If they were forthright, they might engender more sympathy.

For many travel suppliers which are publicly held, we can see the financial impact, we can also look up what the government has provided.

RM has an office and staff, has advertising and sales expense, and needs to maintain its trains. On the other had, this was always a business that was closed six months of the year.

We had multiple trips cancelled so far. All of those suppliers refunded our money, except for Al Italia, which issued us credits for a non-refundable fare. RM ought to process refunds or explain why it can’t.

Reactions: krisseye

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
We have conflicting perspectives on the refund issue. They should not have incurred any significant expense for a future trip at the time that covid-19 came along, so to hold someone's money hostage is not something I agree with. They would have had access to many programs from various levels of government in Canada to help them through this time and there are lots of non-travel businesses who have to figure out how to keep afloat without keeping people's money for years. Why should an airline, resort., cruise ship or train company be allowed to keep customers' money while all of the industries that don't have that advance purchase luxury have to fend for themselves? They should not.
I certainly agree it’s not right- I have money tied up with a Greek cruise line the refused to refund us when they canceled our cruise last year. I am in the same boat. We had fully refundable deposits on our cruise, final payment wasn’t even due and the cruise line canceled the cruise and refused to refund us. Greece and Cyprus enacted laws that travel suppliers didn’t have e to provide a refund - they could give a credit instead and if the credit wasn’t used by Dec: 31 this year we could apply for a refund that would be backed by the Greek government.

I’m certainly not saying it’s right- but it is what it is. Remember, they have to pay to store the trains and ships and many ships are still at sea with few because there is no dock space so there are employees to be paid.

Aug 30, 2015
I certainly agree it’s not right- I have money tied up with a Greek cruise line the refused to refund us when they canceled our cruise last year. I am in the same boat. We had fully refundable deposits on our cruise, final payment wasn’t even due and the cruise line canceled the cruise and refused to refund us. Greece and Cyprus enacted laws that travel suppliers didn’t have e to provide a refund - they could give a credit instead and if the credit wasn’t used by Dec: 31 this year we could apply for a refund that would be backed by the Greek government.

I’m certainly not saying it’s right- but it is what it is. Remember, they have to pay to store the trains and ships and many ships are still at sea with few because there is no dock space so there are employees to be paid.
At least the Greek Government has agreed to back the refunds if it comes to that, which is good. I understand that these places have costs.