1. Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
    Dismiss Notice

RIU Palace Aruba - Accident

Discussion in 'Hotels' started by Doreen Welsh, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Doreen Welsh

4/13/2017: RIU Palace Hotel, Aruba. Beaches are public and guests need to be on the beach at 5am to reserve a hut. Coming up from the beach, I slipped and fell on a slick marble floor, breaking my left wrist. No one from the hotel helped get us a taxi to the hospital, wrote a report or offered assistance. No offer of medical bill reimbursement, or acknowledgement of responsibility since they are always mopping the floors (a hotel employee acknowledge the slippery floors)

What's your desired resolution? Attorneys are not interested in helping me as there isn't a large enough $$ amount for them. I would like my medical bills paid (Aruba and surgery on 4/19//17 at the Rothman Institute in PA) and an apology/acknowledgement of the hotel's responsibility for the safety of their guests. This was our 6th trip to the RIU in Aruba and I think they could have expressed more concern. If they are willing to trade two free weeks at the hotel, I would be willing to consider that, also.

What's the value of your claim (in US $)? 6500

Date of transaction/travel date: 2017-04-09

2. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

Did you buy travel insurance? That would have covered your bills.

Did you file an accident report at the resort?

3. AMA

AMA

Why isn't your own health insurance paying for it?

4. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

It is in Aruba. Most US health insurance doesn't cover outside the U.S. Only the surgery done here should be covered by her insurance.

5. Doreen Welsh

Yes ... "shreck" at the front desk took my name, room #, info. When I requested a copy of t he report, I was told they couldn't find it.

6. Doreen Welsh

In Aruba, payment is demanded upfront before you can be seen or treated at a hospital. They take no insurance.

7. jsn55

Staff Member Advocate

If you did not file a formal accident report with the hotel, they'll not know to follow up with you. As far as any assistance, unfortunately everyone is so willing to cast blame that a hotel never comes forward with assistance, they wait to be asked. In the case of a lawsuit, assistance can be twisted by an attorney to indicate that the hotel might be liable for the injury.

8. Doreen Welsh

The hotel knew full well about the accident. Their "apology" was to send a fruit plate to my hotel room. I have the names of all management at the hotel as well as comments made by employees regarding the "slippery" floors. We also have pictures of the accident sight showing "no slippery floor signs." All information was given to "Shreck" as she called herself.

9. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

Unfortunately, when you are traveling you need travel insurance to take care of accidents like that. Did you buy travel insurance?

Were you there in a time share?

krisseye likes this.
  10. jsn55

Staff Member Advocate

Now that you've mentioned no 'wet floor signs', it's a completely different matter. At the beach, in a tropical climate, you expect to tread carefully. But if a hotel employee has just swabbed the marble down and not put out signs, that's a definite problem. This would be a legal matter; hotels do not capitulate voluntarily, if they did everyone and his brother would be claiming injury.

Just the week before your fall, I tripped and broke my wrist at a wedding reception. I wasn't otherwise hurt, and I knew enough not to get up right away, so I lay there looking around wondering if there was enough light to see that corner that I must have tripped on. There was enough light, so I just relaxed and waited for the ice bags. It was hard to convince the bride's parents that I wasn't going to sue everyone in sight because I had tripped at their party.

11. Tanya

Aruba may not have the same negligence laws as the US. Have you tried contacting an attorney in Aruba? I know there are multiple attorneys in the US who specialize in international law, but the amount is too small for most to take unless you are willing to shell out the attorney fees upfront. That being said, you may try writing to the execs of the hotel and see if any of them will offer you some compensation, just not sure how likely it will be due to many of the hotels being located right off the beach and having swimming pools, the floors are almost always slick...

jsn55, krisseye and Neil like this.
  12. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

Patina and jsn55 like this.
  13. Paladin1758

My Blue Cross covered an incident in Jamaica after I submitted receipts

14. LeeM

Every health insurance company is different; mine won't cover anything outside of U.S. I never travel without travel insurance as these sort of costs are difficult to bear and the price of travel insurance is such a small portion of an overall trip.

Was anything in writing from Shreck acknowledging the information you provided, etc.?

Neil likes this.
  15. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

The majority of folks with health insurance aren't covered outside the U.S. So everyone has to check with their own health insurance before traveling to make sure they have or don't have coverage and plan accordingly.