Ripped Off By American Airlines! Help!

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 25, 2018
This pertains to my request for refund and communications with a Tracy Inger :) of American Airlines Customer Service Relations - AA Ref#The matter still remains unresolved till date (3 years!) due to the complete lack of regard and concern displayed by the American Airlines staff. Please help with guidance to me on how to resolve this matter.

I'm a senior citizen with mobility issues. I'm 80 years old and my wife 68. I have Parkinson's which has an effect on my mobility. In 2013, my wife unfortunately developed cancer but thankfully after about a year of treatment, has been in remission. Thanks to the wonderful support staff and care we were able to get for her in Orlando. Following having gone through a rigorous course of cancer treatment for her, we made plans to travel overseas to visit my grandchildren. Two of my son's have business there.

Given both our ages and health, my daughter paid an extra USD 3,500 to upgrade our Economy tickets to First Class. The journey was to begin in Orlando Florida and terminate in Lahore Pakistan.Wheel chair assistance was requested and provided for my wife to and by AA. Upon arrival to Orlando Florida AA check in counters, we were informed by ground crew that the flight was delayed due to technical issues with the aircraft. The flight remained on target to take off but we encountered a significant delay but finally took off to Chicago O'Hare where we were scheduled to board our connecting flight to Abu Dhabi and from there connecting to Lahore Pakistan. To make a long and painful story short we arrived to Chicago O'Hare 3 hours AFTER the flight to Abu Dhabi had departed and having missed that connection, obviously the rest of the entire journey was null and void. When faced with the re routing of the rest of the journey, the American Airlines Staff (at this point Etihad who was a co-share on our American Airlines ticket) told us there were no seats available in first class for the next 8 days so the only 3 options were:
1) At my expense, check into a hotel in Chicago for the next 8 days and wait to board the next available flight that had seats in first class
2) go back to Orlando and reschedule the entire journey for a later date
3) Continue the journey in economy class as there were seats available leaving the next day.

The last being my only viable option, and in spite of my reasonable protest, I was forced to travel in economy, which had it not been for our health issues, especially my wife's condition where she o be able to lie down, wouldn't have been a problem. This journey was so taxing on my health because I had some medical issues in my legs two week prior to travel which actually required hospitalization for two nights in Orlando, that upon arrival to Lahore I was bed ridden with regular visits from the doctor owing to the tremendous fatigue endured in this 30 plus hour travel. Upon arrival to Lahore I told my daughter and other son who lives in Houston Tx about what happened to us, and authorized him to contact American Airlines and demand reparations for the way we were treated. To my and my entire family's utter horror we were told to take $500 dollars worth of travel vouchers coupled with sincere apologies from American Airlines for our ordeal. The upgrade my daughter paid for Economy to First Class was nearly $3500!!! After a year of follow up by my son, we finally were promised we would at the very least be given the difference of economy to First Class, and that it was going through processing so we'd have to wait. After three months of follow up an automated message was sent telling us the application for the refund had been denied!!!!!!

It's been 3 years now and I have suffered tremendous stress as a result of this episode. I've never been treated this shabbily. At this point, all I want is to be REFUNDED THE MONEY I PAID to this giant company.

I ask anyone to kindly advise to me what I can do to seek redress as American Airlines doesn't have an office I can go to nor do they have a contact number I can call to speak with an actual human being. I would greatly appreciate any and all help from anyone in this matter.

Thanks and my best Regards,
Akram Khan

Edited by moderator to remove personal information

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Unfortunately, the only thing AA owes you is the difference between what you paid for your first class seats and the economy seats. That they didn’t do that is unacceptable.

We have company contacts on top of our pages. Have you contacted the executives we show about this or have you only dealt with Customer Service?

Apr 25, 2018
Unfortunately, the only thing AA owes you is the difference between what you paid for your first class seats and the economy seats. That they didn’t do that is unacceptable.

We have company contacts on top of our pages. Have you contacted the executives we show about this or have you only dealt with Customer Service?

All I was able to ever contact was Customer Service and that too only through their website. After about 5 months of beghing for a resolution, i.e., asking for the fare difference between economy and first class, of approximately $3,500, I was finally referred by CS reps I was communicating with to another website page that informed me my request for refund had been denied! Disheartened, flabbergasted and exhausted I continue to suffer in silence. Important to note, the CS Reps I spoke to also confirmed to me the fare difference in exact amount that was paid for the upgrade.

I am still only requesting the refund for my fare difference and would appreciate your help in me getting this.

Thanks and

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
We don’t do this for you- we give you the tools to advocate for yourself.

Go to the Customer Contact Page on top of this page. Read what it says about how to write- one executive at a time but start at the first executive listed.

You must cut your letter in half and stick to facts only. Do it in bullet points. All the stuff about your age and health need to be removed- it doesn’t matter. The essence of your complaint is that your flight you had first class seats in was canceled, you were rebooked in another flight in coach and then y credit card used to buy the tickets was never refunded for the difference.

That’s it- get rid of everything except that. Put in who you spoke to and who you wrote to and that you’ve only been offered $500 vs what the first class cost was.

Move up once a week through the Executives.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I agree with Neil, Akram. The person reading your letter will not wade through page after page to understand your issue. They read complaint letters all day and if they can't understand the problem immediately, they'll set your letter aside. Your issue is very simple and can be explained in a paragraph or two. You booked in first, you flew in economy. You are owned the difference in fare from AA.

Please create a concise, chronological list of the facts and post it for us to review before you submit to AA. After all this time, it will take careful communication to obtain your refund. But I think we can help you get it.

Apr 25, 2018
Thank you very much Neil and JSN55 for your input. I have sent an email to Sean Bentel, who is the first in the list provided for contact on your website.

I hope I'm contacted but if not will follow the schedule of contact suggested by you and hopefully will get the matter resolved.

With thanks and my best regards
Akram Khan

Apr 25, 2018
Hi Neil

So I sent the mail to the first person listed in the American Airlines contact info off of your website. A Vice President of Customer Relations.

I re wrote the email as per your guidance.

Three hours later I got a call from the Ameticam Airlines CS Representative, a Gia Corbin, not the person I sent the email to, who told me flat out that sorry there's no longer a record of any flight information anymore dating that far back and so, "sorry for your troubles but there's no refund we can provide." Realizing this was a form response type of call I received back the first time I contacted them two and a half years ago, I tried to reason with her but the answer at the end was the exact same and so I took the reference number of this call and her name and now here I am seeking guidance from you pls on what I should do from their flat out refusal to listen to me.

With thanks and my Best Regards
Akram Khan

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I'll be very blunt, Akram. Far too much time has passed. I was hoping that perhaps a miracle would occur, situations like this need to be handled within months, not years. I am so sorry.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Is it of any consequence, that I have a record of all the follow up I did for the first 6 months since the event took place? I was promised a refund and then tricked.
Why did so much time go by? If there's a valid reason, perhaps you can find a sympathetic executive. Records as old as yours are the equal to a stack of boxes stacked in the basement. But if you offer them a compelling reason that this problem is 3 years old, someone might help.