1. Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
    Dismiss Notice

Resort Fees

Discussion in 'Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)' started by Robin, Feb 25, 2016.

1. Robin

What is with this trend of Resort Fees? It is ridiculous to pay a resort fee at hotels that are anything but "Resorts" including the Monte Carlo in Las Vegas.
    When I ask the management, I get answers ranging to use of the pool to Wi-Fi. Give me a break. If I don't use any of the amenities they may list, it still doesn't matter.
    What I figure is this; Instead of posting the real rate of say $125.00, they post nightly fee of $100 and later you see the add in of taxes and "fees".
    What can we do about this?

AAGK likes this.
  2. johnbaker

johnbaker Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

Write your Congressperson ... No seriously. A law banning this practice from interstate commerce is about the only way its going to stop.

In the extreme, be ready for the $5 hotel room with the $200 resort fee. I'm all for ala carte pricing but that only works for fees you can avoid. Resort fees don't fall into that category.

jsn55, Neil and Realitoes like this.
  3. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

John is right. As far as I am concerned, all those resort fees are are money makers for the hotel. Your choice is to pay it or go somewhere else but it is almost impossible to find a hotel in Vegas that doesn't charge them anymore. One starts, sees they can get away with it and then the rest of the hotels do it too.

Our elected officials are the only ones that can stop this.

jsn55 likes this.
  4. dourdan

once time when I was staying at the Flamingo for 20 days. The person checking me in looked at me, looked at the reservation. and said "There is usually a $100 a day resort fee, but I realize how this might be unpayable due to the duration of your stay, BUT I can make a note in your reservation that you did not pay. This means If you use the gym/spa, and pool you will have to buy a ticket, similar to someone who was not staying at the hotel. And you will pay a daily fee for wireless, if you choose to use it."
    I guess sometimes angels walk among us.

jsn55 likes this.
  5. AAGK

Resort fees are absurd. However, if we do away with those, they will probably be replaced with some other fee loophole.

jsn55 likes this.
  6. jsn55

Staff Member Advocate

Any mandatory fee is not a fee, it belongs in the room rate. Hotels are being dishonest and greedy.

7. Realitoes

What really makes them absurd is they are mandatory, not optional. If the FTC would rule that mandatory fees must to be included in the rate, much like DOT requires with air fares, it would make comparison shopping a bit easier.

Of course, if that happens, hotels would probably start breaking out optional fees (like the airlines), so you will have to pay extra an fee for add on services (WiFi, Gym, pool, breakfast, etc.)

8. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

Except the airlines still don't breakout all optional fees like luggage, you still have to look for them and our wise congressmen want to rescind this requirement.

Realitoes likes this.
  9. Realitoes

True, but making them optional means if you don't use the service you don't pay for it - not so with the resort fees.

The real issue is would breaking out these additional services, making them available for an optional fee, actually make the rate/fare lower that if they priced them inclusively?

10. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

The only thing that even makes sense to charge extra for is internet. They justify these higher fees by saying the resort fees give you access to the gym and the pools and a bunch of other crap that we never paid for before. It's simply a big lie to make extra money. Chris has a story on the blog today about a congressman who is sponsoring a bill to get rid of the fees or display them at booking, which they should do. We shouldn't have to look in fine print to see if there are resort fees or not.

11. Realitoes

"No person with respect to whom the Federal Trade Commission is empowered under section 5(a)(2) of the Federal Trade Commission Act (15 U.S.C. 45(a)(2)) may advertise in interstate commerce a rate for a hotel room that does not include all required fees other than taxes and fees imposed by a government."​

The wording of the legislation is "required fees", so just like the airlines, they can turn the resort fee into various optional fees which will not have to be disclosed in the rate.

jsn55 likes this.
  12. johnbaker

johnbaker Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

I'm actually ok with that... Don't want to use the pool.. don't pay the fee

jsn55 likes this.
  13. Rebecca

I'm with you. I hate when they say they have a "gym" and it's actually just a treadmill and a 30 year old bowflex. Lets see how many people pay to use that!

Neil likes this.