1. Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
    Dismiss Notice

reservations.com is this a legit company?

Discussion in 'Travel agencies' started by teatime, Sep 12, 2016.

1. teatime

wanted to make a reservation at the Dunes Manor Hotel in Ocean City, Md for 9/25/16 for one night. I googled the hotel, and the first reservation site at top of page was reservations.com, above Expedia or Trip Advisor. The hotel's actual website near the bottom. I didn't give it tremendous thought, thinking this is how the hotel must be doing reservations these days. I clicked on the rate, and saw the additional "fees" and since I had questions, I called their 800 number. I ended up booking the room, (this is on 9/8) gave them my credit card and email address for the confirmation. I waited nearly 24 hours and still had no confirmation, checked junk mail as well. Called their number and with an automated voice prompt had them "resend" the confirmation (this is on 9/9). Still no reply. I called the hotel directly (on 9/9) and they have no record of a reservation. This is biggest red flag. I called reservations.com back and they say there must be a glitch. I even have them repeat back to me my email address carefully, just in case it was recorded incorrectly. They have the correct address. I call my credit card company, VISA, and the charge is on my card.

So 9/9 I call back reservations.com and cancel the reservations because this all sounds really fishy. They say yeah no problem, tell me they will refund the whole thing and give me over the phone a cancellation confirmation number (which BTW is the same number as the reservation confirmation #) and tell me they will send the confirmation email.

Needless to say, I have not received the cancellation email either. I subsequently booked the same room through Expedia and got confirmation within minutes. I have spoken with VISA to dispute the reservations.com charge.

Can you shed any light on this? Maybe it is a glitch, but they didn't have any problem posting the charge to my credit card. I am also concerned about their access to my credit card #. I have already had to replace the card in past year due to fraudulent activity. Ugh.

Thanks for your help.

2. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

AAGK and krisseye like this.
  3. sas80

Staff Member Advocate

You did good. You followed the typical procedure attempting to work with the initial vendor you used to get confirmation and satisfaction of their reservation. You gave them enough time to follow thru and then decided to dispute the charge.

Depending on what those links say, you may want to cancel the card and have the credit card company re issue you a new number. Stave off potential headaches later.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
    jsn55 likes this.
  4. Christina H

A number of these unethical and/or illegal websites pay for ads or search engine placement and end up as one of the first on the list on a search. Some of them use deceptive measures to look official, such as many of "tech support" ads. Always try to book direct and check the URL of the website. This sounds like a horrible company.

AAGK and Neil like this.
  5. jsn55

Staff Member Advocate

Please, people, don't give your credit card information to some website that comes up in a search! I second SAS - cancel the card and obtain a new number. If a hotel can't do their own bookings online, I'd pick another hotel. I rarely use an OTA, maybe for a tiny hotel out in the Black Forest.

AAGK and Neil like this.
  6. teatime

Follow up, just got off the phone with VISA and reservations.com has refunded the charge in full. As far as outside booking agent, I have used Expedia for years and never had a problem.

7. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

Then why didn't you book with Expedia? Please read the complaints on this site about any of the OTA's.

When you book with an OTA you add a layer of "customer service" to your booking that ends up being a problem if something goes wrong. You can't simply deal with the hotel to fix it which you could if you booked directly. And you get better rooms. The OTA's usually are given the worst rooms than those that have paid a little more booking direct.

AAGK likes this.
  8. AAGK

Then stick with Expedia and not a random company. Seems you got lucky here. Don't give your credit card info to a company that you are unfamiliar with. It could be a glitch, or the hotel may not accept bookings through this company. Who knows? I can set up a website and pay google to say I take bookings from the hotel if I want to and take money.

Neil likes this.
  9. Tween Trails

In
    To be fair to Teatime, reservations.com uses multiple names, sets up what appear to be actual hotel sites, and conceals information about their added fees.

jsn55 likes this.
  10. Tween Trails

Sounds good but I ran into an instance in which reservations.com had the hotel convinced that they were Expedia!

jsn55 likes this.
  11. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

You might want to report this company's practices to the Attorney General in your state.

jsn55 likes this.
  12. AAGK

Maybe it is a part of Expedia? Expedia seems to own several of these companies. Oddly, I recently had a hotel tell me a particular room I wanted was reserved for Expedia to sell.

jsn55 likes this.
  13. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

Expedia buys blocks of rooms and resells them.

jsn55 likes this.
  14. Vanyali

no, Reservations.com is not legit.

This is how you get your money back:

This company tacks on extra fees that are not reflected in the price you agree to when you book a hotel stay ($50 for 2 night stay for me), then lies to you about the hotel refund policy (told me that hotel wouldn't cancel reservation, though direct call to the hotel verified that cancellation for full refund was fine) and then tacks on a nonrefundable $15 fee. One customer service rep at reservations.com actually admitted to me that the website got a full refund from the hotel already, but was still trying to avoid passing the refund to me.

They will not want to give you any refunds, but if you stay on the phone with them long enough and call them back when they hang up on you, eventually you can get all of your money back, including the $15.

It took me about 2 hours total phone time. I don't know whether it helped that I had already opened a dispute with my credit card. I also threatened to sue reservations.com, and pointed out the difficulty they would have defending the suit in my state (you sue them where you are, not where they are).

I would not admit anything over the phone -- they were obviously trying to trap me into agreeing to their fees on their recorded phone call.

I was on hold for at least 20 minutes a couple of times but wouldn't go away.

Eventually they agreed to refund everything, including the $15 extra charge.