1. Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
    Dismiss Notice

Reservation refund

Discussion in 'Vacation Rentals' started by Lynn3925, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Lynn3925

I am writing you about a travel reservation problem. I recently tried to reserve a condo in Toronto with Trip Advisor for a 3 nights in April. The calendar showed the condo available so I paid a deposit with Pay Pal. After I completed the reservation online I got the onscreen message that ' those dates not available '. After trying the reservation again I got the same message. There was no other explanation. After about an hour and not hearing of a confirmation, I went on to make another reservation with Airbnb. About a half hour later I got the confirmation on the first reservation. I immediately called them and explained my mistake and they understood the confusion but they have decided to keep our $503. They say Trip Advisor can keep their $125 fee and the condo owner can keep the rest at their discretion. His choice is to keep it all. Do I have any way to get our money back. Can we not pay the credit card for disputed charges?

2. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

What company was this actually booked through? Trip Advisor doesn't do their own bookings.

Did you receive any type of confirmation when you made the original reservation? Any acknowledgement?

3. jsn55

Staff Member Advocate

How awful. It doesn't seem that you have any clear road to get your money back. If TripAdvisor's rules state that there are no refunds, the best thing to do is write them a letter asking for an exception to their rule. Use our Company Contacts and compose a concise, polite email explaining your situation. It might be more productive to ask for a future credit towards another booking instead of a refund. That's sometimes effective with hotels and airlines, with the vacation rental biz, I don't know if it's appropriate.

In the future, don't book travel of any kind through an OTA, or an entity such as TripAdvisor. When there are problems, you are stuck between them and the property and rarely can get anything straightened out in your favor. These booking agencies are internet-based, they have little or no customer service.

ADVOCATE ADVICE We are hearing regularly from people who book something on the internet, receive an odd response or nothing at all, then decide that the booking did not happen. They turn right around and book a different property for the same dates. I know everyone gets excited about planning trips and vacations, but if you're booking your own travel you need to stay on top of the details. If you have reason to think the booking did not go through, wait at least 24 hours and then set off to see if you have a res or not. Do not make another booking until you've verified the one you already made. Always read all the details of any transaction you're going to make on the internet before you hit the 'buy' button.

Michelle Friedman likes this.
  4. Hamid

share the company name, or call them, this must be coming from a sort of technical issue