Reservation on Royal Caribbean Canceled Without Notice

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 26, 2016
I booked a transatlantic cruise on Royal Caribbean’s Navigator of the Seas departing on May 8th thru an online travel agency at Sky Auction.com and paid my deposit. I just found out that someone cancelled the booking and refunded my deposit on the day the balance was due but no one contacted me. I called Royal Caribbean and they called the travel agency and said they would get back with me. No one has yet to contact me. I have tried for three weeks to get an answer from someone. The people at Royal Caribbean said it has to come from the online travel agency which will not respond.

My question to you is why do you do business with such a disreputable travel agency? I had to book the last cabin available thru Royal Caribbean today and it is an inside cabin for a 13 day cruise, practically steerage!

I am extremely unhappy that Royal Caribbean does not have better control over who they do business with. I have contacted the Dallas Morning News Travel Ombudsman and the Conde Nast Travel Magazine Ombudsman, and will continue to pursue this matter until I have a straight answer from someone. The Dallas Morning News Travel Ombudsman is getting ready to take it viral.

Carol Phillips

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 28, 2014
Coastal South Carolina
Trying to understand the situation here. It appears to me that Skyauction.com links shoppers to several online travel agencies (OTAs) and bookings are made through those agencies?

Without knowing which OTA was used, it's impossible to offer contact information and suggestions.

I will ask this: If the cruise is to take place May 8, final payment would have been due in February or March. Was final payment made? And how did you find out just now that the booking was cancelled and refunded?

Please let us know the details and we'll see if we can't offer some assistance ...

Apr 26, 2016
Trying to understand the situation here. It appears to me that Skyauction.com links shoppers to several online travel agencies (OTAs) and bookings are made through those agencies?

Without knowing which OTA was used, it's impossible to offer contact information and suggestions.

I will ask this: If the cruise is to take place May 8, final payment would have been due in February or March. Was final payment made? And how did you find out just now that the booking was cancelled and refunded?

Please let us know the details and we'll see if we can't offer some assistance ...

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
Need more information. RCCL allows many "Thousands" of travel agents to sell cruises. As in every business/industry there are bad apples. If the balance on your cruise was not paid in full on the day the balance was due then the RCCL computer system would have automatically cancelled your reservation and notified your travel agent of that cancelation.
Who was your TA and had you arranged final payment. RCCL has a contract with who ever you booked with and all conversation has to go thru that TA.
Lots of questions here are to who your invoice actually shows your TA is. And the fine print on your confirmation invoice from that TA.

Apr 26, 2016
The OTA was Magical Holidays, which I believe may own Sky Auction.com. The final payment was due on February 23rd. Instead of using the credit card on file to charge the final payment the deposit was refunded on February 23rd but I did not catch it. The charge transaction and the refund both say paid to/by Royal Caribbean. I have tried to get an answer from someone for three weeks about it but Magical Holidays does not return calls or email inquiries by either me or Royal Caribbean. Royal Caribbean did not tell me it had been canceled, but when I tried to use their link to do the online check-in it would not work. I had to go back and review all credit card statements which is when I found out the reservation was canceled.

It was going to cost me $2,600.00 to book coach seats to London to hook up with the tour we had booked there. Yesterday an inside cabin became available so I booked and paid for it, but I originally had booked a Superior Balcony Cabin. I would never have made the reservation if all that was available was an inside cabin for a 13 day cruise, but they had me over a barrel. I feel that someone owes me an explanation and some kind of compensation for having to go steerage class.

Apr 26, 2016
Need more information. RCCL allows many "Thousands" of travel agents to sell cruises. As in every business/industry there are bad apples. If the balance on your cruise was not paid in full on the day the balance was due then the RCCL computer system would have automatically cancelled your reservation and notified your travel agent of that cancelation.
Who was your TA and had you arranged final payment. RCCL has a contract with who ever you booked with and all conversation has to go thru that TA.
Lots of questions here are to who your invoice actually shows your TA is. And the fine print on your confirmation invoice from that TA.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
Sadly this is a Travel Agent issue and not the cruise line. Hopefully in the next week you can get a better cabin!

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
The original booking/invoice says SkyAuction.com.
There is contractual information on the invoice and on welcome emails. Read the fine print or delete your personal details and scan and post here. RCCL cancelled because they did not get pmt what arrangement did you make with your TA for final pmt? Did you have any contact with them?

Apr 26, 2016
All I received was the original invoice which did not give any instructions on actually making the final payment. I assumed it had been billed to my credit card. See attached file.

My credit card statement shows payment was made directly to Royal Caribbean:

09/01 ROYAL CARIBBEAN CRUISES 800-327-6700 FL 900.00

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
Oh @Marlene Seidel did you have any contact with this agency after this original invoice. Did you speak with them on the phone ? This is a mess!
The fact that RCCL charged the deposit is normal. TA no longer runs the charge thru their agency, they call and give the clients card # and authorize the initial deposit. The cruise line can do nothing further until they get another call from your TA with authorization for the final pmt.
Run a search of your email spam folder as that is likely where further correspondence ended up.

Once again this is miscommunication between you and the travel agency and the Cruiseline is completely out of the loop in these situations.

I am so sorry, I would be super upset to loose my balcony cabin too. Has RCCL given you any hope of Waitlist for a better cabin?

Feb 9, 2016
Are you a frequent cruiser? Can you call Crown and Anchor?

I've cruised with RCCL a lot. Even when I had TA reservations, I was always able to at least TALK to RCCL about my reservation. Have you tried calling RCCL and being super sweet and nice, professing your love for RCCL and basically expressing how upset you are that you lost your cabin, letting them know that the OTA isn't responding at all, and asking them to please tell you what might have happened?

Projecting myself in that manner has worked for me before....you just cant call up mad, bitter, etc, no one wants to communicate with an angry person.

Apr 26, 2016
Oh @Marlene Seidel did you have any contact with this agency after this original invoice. Did you speak with them on the phone ? This is a mess!
The fact that RCCL charged the deposit is normal. TA no longer runs the charge thru their agency, they call and give the clients card # and authorize the initial deposit. The cruise line can do nothing further until they get another call from your TA with authorization for the final pmt.
Run a search of your email spam folder as that is likely where further correspondence ended up.

Once again this is miscommunication between you and the travel agency and the Cruiseline is completely out of the loop in these situations.

I am so sorry, I would be super upset to loose my balcony cabin too. Has RCCL given you any hope of Waitlist for a better cabin?

Apr 26, 2016
Are you a frequent cruiser? Can you call Crown and Anchor?

I've cruised with RCCL a lot. Even when I had TA reservations, I was always able to at least TALK to RCCL about my reservation. Have you tried calling RCCL and being super sweet and nice, professing your love for RCCL and basically expressing how upset you are that you lost your cabin, letting them know that the OTA isn't responding at all, and asking them to please tell you what might have happened?

Projecting myself in that manner has worked for me before....you just cant call up mad, bitter, etc, no one wants to communicate with an angry person.

Apr 26, 2016
Yes, Royal Caribbean has put me on some kind of wait list to be upgraded, but I have no idea about what the possibilities are. Have you ever been wait listed for an upgrade? Thanks

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
Yes, Royal Caribbean has put me on some kind of wait list to be upgraded, but I have no idea about what the possibilities are. Have you ever been wait listed for an upgrade? Thanks
Yes and yes it works, but not always. Squeaky wheel gets the grease but you have to be super sweet and act excited!