1. Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
    Dismiss Notice

Repeated attempts to claim mileage from Turkish Airlines but no success

Discussion in 'Airlines' started by globalbabe, Dec 14, 2015.

1. globalbabe

I took a flight on TAP Portugal from Geneva to Lisbon on 31 Dec 2014 in C Class. At the time of checking in for the flight, I provided my Turkish Airlines Miles & Smiles frequent flyer number (I was an Elite/*Gold member at the time), which was printed on my boarding pass.
    Unfortunately the 1,395 eligible miles never posted to my Turkish Airlines account, so I lodged a claim through their website in March. The airline denied my request, saying my passenger record could not be found, and also denied my follow up request to have the miles credited. I called their customer service help line and was advised to request an official, signed statement of travel from TAP Portugal, which I obtained and submitted to TK through their customer service website again in mid-May. I then got several more denial responses, despite resubmitting my boarding pass, e-ticket and TAP Portugal travel attestation, including notifications in my account that the miles had already been credited (which they hadn't).
    Since then I have called the TK customer helpline several times more and asked how to get the miles credited, only to be told over and over that I have to submit my follow-up requests through their customer service website. In October, after becoming an Elite Plus member with TK, I then tried to make an official complaint over the phone and that didn't even get a written response to my mileage claim at all. I have now tried to request these miles at least 5 times through through the website and 3 times over the phone.
    Do you have any advice on how I can escalate my claim and successfully get the miles credited before the 12 month deadline for submitting claims? Or am I flogging a dead horse and it's time to give up?
    Thanks for your advice.

2. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

Here are our contacts to TAP:
    http://elliott.org/company-contacts/tap-air-portugal/
    Write to this customer service address and give them a week to reply. If they don't help you, write to the first executive shown. Give him/her a week to reply, then escalate to the next if necessary. Repeat weekly until you have gone through all the executives.

If after writing to them all you still don't get a good answer, let us know and we can see if Chris can take the case.

AAGK, globalbabe and technomage1 like this.
  3. jsn55

Staff Member Advocate

Good advice, and you should probably add a line about their deadline for awarding miles .... it does not apply to you, since you've been trying to get this done for nearly a year. Say it sweetly, of course, but get that fact established.

AAGK and globalbabe like this.
  4. globalbabe

Thanks very much for the fast replies. I have already spoken to TAP Portugal customer services several times to ask for their help (that was a saga in itself, just to get the formal attestation document that I travelled with them) and was advised that they can't do anything, as the mileage awarding comes from TK, and I would need to follow up with TK customer service and make my claim through them, not TAP. How does contacting a TAP Executive help this process? Would they contact Turkish and ask them to award the miles? Is it worth trying to contact both TAP and TK Executives simultaneously?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
  5. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

I would write to both airlines executives since it isn't clear who is responsible for what.

The executives can override customer service and in a lot of circumstances do.

AAGK, jsn55 and globalbabe like this.
  6. globalbabe

Thank you very much for the advice - wish I had found this forum sooner! I got a reply from the primary contact at TAP within 3 1/2 hours of emailing him, asking his colleague to follow up my case. Let's see how this unfolds!

AAGK and Neil like this.
  7. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

Keep us informed!

8. globalbabe

Someone from the TAP Customer Service team who works with the main contact on your page for TAP Portugal just replied within 24 hours that Turkish Airlines needs to submit an "MI document" to TAP and once they do, TAP Victoria will approve the miles (although I am not sure what an MI document is). So that seems to be as far as TAP can take it at the executive level.

I already sent my mileage request email yesterday to the Turkish Airlines executive identified as the primary contact on your page, so will see if he replies within a week, as you have recommended. If not, I will try escalating to the next executive, adding the note about submitting an MI document and providing the email address that TAP Victoria gave me.

AAGK and jsn55 like this.
  9. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

Good going. Keeping fingers crossed this gets fixed.

jsn55 likes this.
  10. globalbabe

The Executive at TAP Customer Service in NJ has continued to be very helpful and has actually contacted Turkish Airlines several times on my behalf. She got as far as speaking to several TK customer service representatives, who told her that the claim would be processed once another mileage request was made from TK to TAP and that I needed to call to verify some personal information. However, once I did, I asked for the three names she had spoken to as well as their supervisor and was told they didn't know about the case or any of the individuals by those names. Fortunately, I did reach a sympathetic ear in TK customer service who lodged my 9th claim for the miles through their website (rough Google Translate version of report follows) and verbally told me it *would* go through this time:
    "95xxxxx created by member of our Elite Plus, 91xxxxx, 91xxxxx, No. 90xxxxx, as repeatedly requested the file, made with TAP airlines to Geneva-Lisbon has repeatedly requested processing business class flights account of M & S. But she received the same negative response each time. Flight (C) class business. Our members have added all the necessary documents to file. Our members can request to be processed as soon as the account for this flight"​
    After one week, I haven't had a reply to this complaint or from the TK Executive that I wrote to, so have written to another person on your contact list today. I have noticed that TK tends to not to automatically award miles for about 1 in 10 of my flights on * Alliance airlines and I have to manually request the miles through their website. I've had two other cases earlier this year where they denied my claims for eligible miles, both Swiss Airlines, but then did so after two to three more attempts. They may have a truly fabulous business class lounge in Istanbul, but customer service is NOT their strength.
    I feel a bit like a dog with a bone on this quest to gain a mere 1,395 miles, especially when I accrue over 100,000 air miles annually (primarily on * Alliance carriers), but I can't give up after a year on principle!

11. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

That's why we list all the exec. names we can find. You are following the right path in going to the next executive. Repeat this weekly until you have exhausted all, if you can't get an answer then it's time to move to see if Chris can help.

AAGK likes this.
  12. globalbabe

Round and round we go: I just received a bizarre reply from Turkish Airlines that shows they now think that I am claiming mileage for the TAP Portugal mileage programme, which I have never ever requested in any of my claims (and I don't even have a TAP account), rather than claiming miles to my TK account for a flight on TAP Portugal.
    --
    Dear ,
    We have received your message dated December 18th, 2015.
    Please be informed that, in order to add your flights to your other frequent flyer account, you may contact with TAP Portugal Airlines customer service. Therefore, we are sorry for that we are unable to meet your demand positively.
    Please be informed that according to Miles&Smiles program rules, miles are not transferable between Star Alliance partner airlines' frequent flyer program (FFP) accounts and can not be combined in one single account. Remove or transfer of miles from one FFP to another is not permitted. Once the transaction is approved and billed, this can not be reversed and reclaimed to another FFP account. Therefore, we are sorry for that we are unable to meet your demand positively.
    Thank you for contacting us and we look forward to be of service to you again.
    --
    I haven't had a reply to my two emails to the two TK Executives. If I try a third, should I cc the first two or not?
    Any other advice?

13. VoR61

Advocate

Thank you for the update @globalbabe

I would not recommend copying the other two, but if you would please you can help us help you by posting your emails here. Be sure to remove any personal information.

That way we can review and comment before you proceed ...

14. globalbabe

Thanks, @VoR61. Here is my email (prior to my latest request on 18 December):
    --
    Dear
    I am a TK Miles & Smiles Elite Plus member (TKxxxxxxxxx) and I am writing to seek your assistance in having miles flown with TAP Portugal (TP953, 31 December 2014, Geneva - Lisbon, Z Class, E-ticket xxx xxxxxxxxxx) credited to my Turkish Airlines Miles & Smiles account. I provided my Turkish frequent flyer number to TAP at the time of check-in and it was recorded on my boarding pass.
    Unfortunately the 1,395 eligible miles never posted to my Turkish Airlines account, so I requested mileage accrual through the TK website in March. Unfortunately my request was denied, with a response that my passenger record could not be found by TAP Portugal. I called the TK customer service help line and was advised to request an official, signed statement of travel from TAP Portugal, which I obtained and submitted to TK through the customer service website again in mid-May. I then got several more denial responses to my request for mileage accrual, despite resubmitting my boarding pass, e-ticket and TAP Portugal travel attestation, including notifications in my account that the miles had already been credited (which they hadn't).
    The requests that have made to date for this case are as follows:
    20 March – Request 90xxxxx
    12 April – Request 90xxxxx
    12 May – Request 91xxxxx
    14 May – Request 91xxxxx
    20 Oct – Complaint 95xxxxx
    Each time I have called Turkish Airlines, your customer service staff have asked me to contact TAP Portugal to ask for the miles to be credited. When I have called TAP Portugal customer service, I have been informed that I have to contact Turkish Airlines.
    After numerous calls to both airlines’ customer service centres and multiple requests through the Turkish Airlines website, which have not helped solve this problem, and as a loyal Turkish Airlines Elite Plus flyer, I would now like to ask for your help to arrange to have these eligible miles credited to my Turkish Airlines account before the 12 month deadline for requesting mileage accrual (this will be 31 Dec 2015).
    As supporting documentation for my request, I am attaching the following documents:
    * TAP Portugal boarding pass
    * TAP Portugal e-ticket
    * TAP Portugal statement of attestation of completion of travel on TP953
    * Turkish Airlines account statement showing record not found of travel on TP953
    * Turkish Airlines account statement showing flight not credited on 31 Dec 2014
    * Turkish Airlines account statement showing (incorrectly) TP953 flight has already been credited
    I would be happy to provide any further information that may help process this request.
    I look forward to your positive feedback.

15. VoR61

Advocate

This is a little long, but easy to follow. You've stated your case politely and specified what you want. I would proceed to the third contact.

I would add to your email the names of the other executives to whom you have reached out. Is the next step the CEO?

Neil likes this.
  16. globalbabe

I have now written to the first three Turkish Airlines executives on your list of contacts and had no replies from any of them. Should I make one last attempt and write to the TK CEO?
    And is it worth replying to the last email I got from customer service posted above on 7 Jan, advising them they have misinterpreted my request to have mileage credited to my account?
    Thanks again for all the helpful advice.

17. VoR61

Advocate

How long did you wait between each contact?

18. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

Did you wait a week in between writing to each of them? That is what you are supposed to do. If it has been less than a week, you shouldn't write to anyone else.

VoR61 likes this.
  19. globalbabe

Definitely followed your advice on that one :) The first contact was on 15 Dec, second on 24 Dec and the third on 11 Jan. So it's been more than two weeks since emailing the third contact.

JVillegirl541 likes this.
  20. Rebecca

Just a quick thought. Is it possible you were somehow enrolled in TAP's mileage program (perhaps you created a login on their website and it enrolled you)? And this is holding it up? I am by no means a mileage expert, but I did supervise the department that sent form letters. Often, they are working quickly and may not have even read your actual email. But very rarely do they send something that is completely irrelevant. My experience and your description of events (for example their requesting this mysterious MI document) makes me think TA somehow thinks you were credited the miles by TAP.

My suggestion would be to contact TAP and verify you do not have a mileage account with them. I suspect this is a possibility. As it seems they have been polite and helpful, it couldn't hurt.