Refund from Carnival - Policies say "NO REFUNDS"

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Mar 14, 2018
Ventura, CA
This is the letter/s I sent to all the executives, guest administration, guest care services, customer service relations, corporate, and my bank. I hope a few people read this and are aware that they change their operations or should I say untrained people, so we never know what to expect. PLEASE READ and understand that this was a gift from my husband and was so very disappointed.

March 9, 2018

Guest Administration:

I’m sorry to have to write this letter but I have an issue with your company. I paid for a cruise on Carnival about two weeks ago, got all my papers together, called your customer relations number the day before and spoke to, I believe her name was Penny. We discussed what I had and asked if my information was good to go on the cruise the next day and she said that she saw no problem with what I was taking with me as long it was a true copy of the original. Because I use and AKA I also copied my application for marriage which showed my true birth name and the AKA just to cover myself if there should be any questions or problems.

My problem is this, I was born in Germany and have my naturalization papers, which I took to the boarding area and was told that my papers were no good. I had the lady go get her supervisor and she came and told me the same thing, again. Then I asked for her supervisor, she had me sit down, embarrassed as heck, as everyone was looking at me, and finally another gentleman who came along with the two-other women, after all the planning and very excited and then they tell me that I can’t go.

Now, I over-heard a couple of ladies talking about their paperwork and they had really poor copies of one of the lady’s birth certificate, a black woman, and she was able to go on the cruise, my papers are my birth certificate in a sense, that’s just not right. Oh, by the way, I went on the 7-day cruise to Mexico 3 years earlier and took the same paperwork with me and had no problems......interesting don’t you think, and I couldn’t get on this time??

Since I was very early, 12:00 PM, basically being some of the very first people to check in, I checked my luggage and they told me to have a seat and wait until they found my luggage. I was so embarrassed I went outside in the cold crying, because this was my Christmas present from my husband. I sat there for an hour, then asked to speak to the supervisor again about my luggage and she said that it takes a long time to find someone’s luggage. Now how hard is it to find a red medium sized bag with a green personal ID and the cruise ships luggage tag as well, after all it was one of the first group of bags taken onto the ship. During this time, I had asked for a bottle of water and they said they didn’t carry any around that area and told me to “go drink out of the fountain.” Since I got up early, to get myself ready, make sure I had everything and get it loaded, knowing I had a good 3-hour drive in Sunday traffic, I was also very hungry. I then asked them if they possibly had something I could have to eat, and they told me to “Go to the Queen Mary, pay the entrance fee and go to their restaurant or walk downtown” and that really got to me, on top of everything else. I couldn’t drive as I had put my car keys and my cash in my luggage for safe keeping in case my purse was stolen. I’m a 68-year-old lady and wasn’t going to walk clear downtown for something to eat. I’m sure they could have been kind enough to offer some cash for a vending machine as my money was also in my luggage for safe keeping; and yes, I had my credit cards with me, but I can’t use that in a machine, now can I?

So, I sat another hour, went and asked about my luggage and she had said she had someone looking for it. Another half hour came went by and a nice black lady, I guess one of the supervisors from the baggage area, where you drop off your luggage, came and asked me what my bag looked like. I told her it was a red, medium size rolling one with a green personal ID and the cruise ship tag right next to it. Another half hour went by, I asked again and a few minutes later they informed me that I could come get my bag, why couldn’t they take the time to bring it outside? I had to go back inside and embarrass myself again, after sitting alone, outside for 3 hours crying, because this was my Christmas gift from my husband. Then I asked the supervisor about my refund and she said that I would have to take it up with the corporate office.

Now understand that I’m a lady who has taken 2 other trips with my husband, once on Miracle and had a bad experience with the food and they also ran out of milk, so we tried again going on a 14-day trip to Hawaii, a couple of years ago, that trip was great. So, this time my husband wanted to send me on this trip alone, because of my medical depression, thinking that because I love cruises and wanted to totally relax and not worrying about anything or anyone, I could feel a little better. Crying all the way home, surprised that I didn’t get into a wreck, because of all this stress I got the hives and now feeling worse with my depression. After paying $575.09 for an inside room, being retired and on a limited budget, not being able to afford a balcony where I could sit and relax watching the water and then being treated this way is not good customer service. Unfortunately for me you are in control of most cruise lines which means I will probably never take a cruise again.

I believe you should train your customer service people the all the same to make sure this type of situation doesn’t happen again. Because of Penny and what she told me, I am sitting home crying and typing this letter, asking you to refund my trip. I want all my money back, after all I didn’t go on my trip and was treated so poorly. Is this the way the elderly should be treated?
If you can’t do anything about this I can also go to our attorney and let him know what happened and he can deal with your company.

Sincerely,
Gina Waycasy
Enclosed: Original copy of letters sent to all upper staff personnel including, CEO Mr. Arnold Donald
Cabin confirmation Naturalization papers
Application for marriage Boarding Pass
Drivers’ License Public Health Questionnaire
1521063101911.jpg
1521063102476.jpg 1521063102966.jpg
1521063103494.jpg
WHAT ELSE DO YOU NEED??? So why couldn’t I go on my cruise? I want all my money back.
Thanks for the great trip!!

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Are you a US citizen? The documents you brought are not valid to board a ship. If you are a US citizen you need a passport in the same name as the ticket or a drivers license with picture and original birth certificate.

If you are not a US citizen, you need other proof of I.d. A marriage certificate is not valid I.d. A green card is usually required.

Unfortunately, all cruise lines state in their terms and conditions that the passenger is responsible to ensuring you have the correct documents. A phone rep who can’t see your documents can’t tell you over the phone.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Gina, I am so sorry that this happened and you weren't able to cruise. It must have been a terrible disappointment. I read your letters to management, but the core of your issue is denied boarding. I cannot tell why you were not allowed to board. Could you please make a concise listing of the facts, in chronological order, so that we can understand exactly what happened and perhaps give you some guidance with this problem. Please do not refer to others by their race or ethnicity, this detracts from your message.

Mar 14, 2018
Ventura, CA
Are you a US citizen? The documents you brought are not valid to board a ship. If you are a US citizen you need a passport in the same name as the ticket or a drivers license with picture and original birth certificate.

If you are not a US citizen, you need other proof of I.d. A marriage certificate is not valid I.d. A green card is usually required.

Unfortunately, all cruise lines state in their terms and conditions that the passenger is responsible to ensuring you have the correct documents. A phone rep who can’t see your documents can’t tell you over the phone.
Neil, if you read the whole letter I did state that I am a citizen and brought all the papers that I needed including, because I use an alias/AKA, I also included that in my paperwork when I checked in, so I just don't understand, as I said, I took the cruise to the Mexican Riviera a couple of years ago with the same paperwork and had no trouble.

Mar 14, 2018
Ventura, CA
Gina, I am so sorry that this happened and you weren't able to cruise. It must have been a terrible disappointment. I read your letters to management, but the core of your issue is denied boarding. I cannot tell why you were not allowed to board. Could you please make a concise listing of the facts, in chronological order, so that we can understand exactly what happened and perhaps give you some guidance with this problem. Please do not refer to others by their race or ethnicity, this detracts from your message.
JSN55, I stated the facts according to what happened. You need more, let me know.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Neil, if you read the whole letter I did state that I am a citizen and brought all the papers that I needed including, because I use an alias/AKA, I also included that in my paperwork when I checked in, so I just don't understand, as I said, I took the cruise to the Mexican Riviera a couple of years ago with the same paperwork and had no trouble.
I’m sorry I didn’t see that- your letter is way too long and this can be why you aren’t getting what you need.

To sail, you need either a passport or a birth certificate AND drivers license or one of the acceptable methods shown on the website in the name in the booking. I don’t know what you mean by you use an AKA- the reservation must be in the name in your i.d. But apparently you shouldn’t have been let on last time if you didn’t have proper I.d. If you brought your naturalization papers, were they in the same name that was on the reservation? What was the second form of ID you brought besides your naturalization papers?

When was the last time you sailed with that I.d? You say “a few years ago”.

From Carnivals website:

US Citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end in the same U.S. port) and travel to destinations in Mexico, Canada, the Caribbean, the Bahamas, and Bermuda are able to re-enter the United States with proof of citizenship other than a passport or passport card. Acceptable proof of citizenship includes an original or certified copy of a government issued birth certificate (raised seal and signature) and a laminated government issued picture ID (typically, driver's license), Consular Report of Born Abroad Certificate, or a Certificate of Naturalization. NOTE: Baptismal records and certificates issued by a hospital are not acceptable.

From what you are showing- it doesn’t look like you brought 2 forms of acceptable I.d.if you weren’t using a passport.

If you can state the name you booked in and the names that appear on your identification, we can try and figure out whether you were improperly denied boarding and then tell you where to go to get help if you were improperly denied boarding.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
Your situation requires a Passport due to the confusion over your legal name, birth name, AKA which is not a legal name. I’m so sorry you missed your cruise and without a proper passport it WILL happen again. The rules are getting stricter all the time and because you got lucky before does not mean they correctly allowed you to sail.
The cruise line owes you nothing, this is a daily situation at cruiseports around the word.

Write a letter and make sure your letter is half what you wrote above, Short, polite and very brief. Maybe they will help but I find it very doubtful.
Good luck!

Mar 14, 2018
Ventura, CA
I’m sorry I didn’t see that- your letter is way too long and this can be why you aren’t getting what you need.

To sail, you need either a passport or a birth certificate AND drivers license or one of the acceptable methods shown on the website in the name in the booking. I don’t know what you mean by you use an AKA- the reservation must be in the name in your i.d. But apparently you shouldn’t have been let on last time if you didn’t have proper I.d. If you brought your naturalization papers, were they in the same name that was on the reservation? What was the second form of ID you brought besides your naturalization papers?

When was the last time you sailed with that I.d? You say “a few years ago”.

From Carnivals website:

US Citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end in the same U.S. port) and travel to destinations in Mexico, Canada, the Caribbean, the Bahamas, and Bermuda are able to re-enter the United States with proof of citizenship other than a passport or passport card. Acceptable proof of citizenship includes an original or certified copy of a government issued birth certificate (raised seal and signature) and a laminated government issued picture ID (typically, driver's license), Consular Report of Born Abroad Certificate, or a Certificate of Naturalization. NOTE: Baptismal records and certificates issued by a hospital are not acceptable.

From what you are showing- it doesn’t look like you brought 2 forms of acceptable I.d.if you weren’t using a passport.

If you can state the name you booked in and the names that appear on your identification, we can try and figure out whether you were improperly denied boarding and then tell you where to go to get help if you were improperly denied boarding.
Heil, I don't think you've paid attention to what I wrote. As I stated, an AKA means I'm using another name, nickname, but brought proof of EVERYTHING, including my AKA which was on my marriage application. I had everything to show them who I was............look at the documents.

Mar 14, 2018
Ventura, CA
Your situation requires a Passport due to the confusion over your legal name, birth name, AKA which is not a legal name. I’m so sorry you missed your cruise and without a proper passport it WILL happen again. The rules are getting stricter all the time and because you got lucky before does not mean they correctly allowed you to sail.
The cruise line owes you nothing, this is a daily situation at cruiseports around the word.

Write a letter and make sure your letter is half what you wrote above, Short, polite and very brief. Maybe they will help but I find it very doubtful.
Good luck!
As I wrote to Neil, if you look at the attachments you will see that my name, AKA, everything was covered.

Sep 19, 2015
So the certificate of naturalization and all papers are in one name and the reservation was in the AKA (also known as)? Is the driver’s license also in the previous name? Are the documents certified copies? To me the biggest issue is the difference in the name of reservation to documents .

There is no legal document for an AKA. If my legal name is Mary Smith but my pen name is Mary Magnificent I would have my reservation in the name of Mary Smith— or legally change my name to Mary Magnificent and get new ID. Carnival and other cruise lines require that the name on the reservation match the ID names and if there is any change to have legal paperwork, and this info is on the website.

I am a bit perplexed as to why money and keys were put in luggage and not kept in the purse which means under one’s control. Staff are not required to offer bottled water. Complaining that the staff would not give or loan cash for a purchase from the vending machine does not help the this letter and is honestly a ridiculous complaint. It does take time to offload the luggage.

Complaining that you could not afford a balcony room to watch the water also does not help.

Repeating what was “overheard” about the quality of the copy of another person’s birth certificate and then mentioning it was a “black woman” does not help. Her documents are not relevant.

This letter is too long and filled with irrelevant and distracting information that does nothing to make one want to make an exception or even to help. And the fact that it has been sent to every executive, customer care, guest services and the bank makes it even less likely to get a positive resolution.

Mar 14, 2018
Ventura, CA
So the certificate of naturalization and all papers are in one name and the reservation was in the AKA (also known as)? Is the driver’s license also in the previous name? Are the documents certified copies? To me the biggest issue is the difference in the name of reservation to documents .

There is no legal document for an AKA. If my legal name is Mary Smith but my pen name is Mary Magnificent I would have my reservation in the name of Mary Smith— or legally change my name to Mary Magnificent and get new ID. Carnival and other cruise lines require that the name on the reservation match the ID names and if there is any change to have legal paperwork, and this info is on the website.

I am a bit perplexed as to why money and keys were put in luggage and not kept in the purse which means under one’s control. Staff are not required to offer bottled water. Complaining that the staff would not give or loan cash for a purchase from the vending machine does not help the this letter and is honestly a ridiculous complaint. It does take time to offload the luggage.

Complaining that you could not afford a balcony room to watch the water also does not help.

Repeating what was “overheard” about the quality of the copy of another person’s birth certificate and then mentioning it was a “black woman” does not help. Her documents are not relevant.

This letter is too long and filled with irrelevant and distracting information that does nothing to make one want to make an exception or even to help. And the fact that it has been sent to every executive, customer care, guest services and the bank makes it even less likely to get a positive resolution.
Who the heck are you to tell me that my letter was too long and not relevant to my situation. I know exactly what I wrote and it's relevant as an older woman, you must be young and full of criticism, put yourself in my place as old, tired of waiting, have all the paperwork in order to see what's going on.............WHO ARE YOU?

Carrie Livingston

Staff Member
Advocate
Jan 6, 2015
St Louis
Who the heck are you to tell me that my letter was too long and not relevant to my situation. I know exactly what I wrote and it's relevant as an older woman, you must be young and full of criticism, put yourself in my place as old, tired of waiting, have all the paperwork in order to see what's going on.............WHO ARE YOU?
@ImGeurcute, you came here and asked for advice. The people who are responding are trying to help you. We have helped many people with problems but will have questions and they should be responded to without rudeness. This thread will be locked if you continue this behavior.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
As I wrote to Neil, if you look at the attachments you will see that my name, AKA, everything was covered.
I am so so sorry it just doesn’t work this way... AKA is not going to work. The name confusion and what your LEGAL name is what has caused this. The name on your US Naturiazation papers should MATCH your newly Minted US Passport. The Cruise Line can’t and won’t be responsible for transporting a passenger without Legal paperwork. The fact that it worked before does not mean it was correct.
Sorry you missed your cruise :(

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
We have company contacts on top of our page. The only thing you can do is appeal to Carnival. We can’t help you any further - we posted directly from Carnival what they accept as I.D. and what you are showing us is not what is legally acceptable.

Your only option is to take this up with directly with Carnival. We have directions on how to write on the Company Contacts.

Good luck and let us know how it works out.

Aug 29, 2015
For future travels, please get a US passport. With the laws changing as to what is permitted (state issued photo ID, etc) it seems that as passport is becoming a necessity.

In this situation, having a birth certificate, drivers license, naturalization paperwork, and marriage certificate all required to prove identity, name bridge and right to be in country is a hassle and causes issues since it outside of the ordinary. You need a US passport to do it all.

Also make sure that all reservations are in the exact name on the passport - using an AKA is not appropriate for a situation such as this.

The rest is a distraction. No one cares that you had to wait. It happens. You dropped off bags, but didn't have the paperwork to be permitted to board. They also tell you not to check cash. Keep it with you. Stating you are on a fixed income doesn't really help, either. Most people are.

Good luck next time.