1. Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
    Dismiss Notice

refund for unsed ticket due to immigration issue

Discussion in 'Airlines' started by traveling man, Mar 12, 2017.

1. traveling man

on Jan 22 my friend from Kenay and i arrived as scheduled into Johannesburg from Livingstone Zambia. due a error on his entry date.. his visa was filled out by South African embassy in Nairobi....into south africa he was told he could not enter. the woman said "too bad go home bye bye" end of subject case closed.
    since he has no money and i paid for his tickets inc home on Feb 8th i could not let them deport him to Zambia. he would be stuck in a foreign country, no money, no food and no way home.

so after my trying to set things straight for 8 1/2 hours i gave in and bought him a ticket on Kenya airways to Nairobi and immigration put him on the flight with multiple others the embassy screwed up on. i still had his orig ticket home with KA and did not think to,use it. with nightmare at the airport i did not think to change the ticket.

my travel agent cancelled the ticket and tried to explain situation but was told to use the website.i went on website to see if i could get money back but useless so,i called KA office innNairobi and they said to,use site which says to,call and round and round

all i want is either a refund or a coucher for future travel for unused ticket due to his deportation and my buying him another ticket, which was a few hour adventure with immigration holding him i had to,keep sending airline reps to check on him and get the info for his ticket,

as this is a refular routine day at immigration, embassies screw up visas and they send them packing a d balme airlines for not checking visas before departure, i have all the info, orig ticket number, ticket number and boarding pass for flight from joburg and deportation letter.

What's the value of your claim (in US $)? 575.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2017
  2. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

He will not get a refund. Every airline posts information in their terms that the passenger is responsible for having proper documents to travel. They do not offer refunds if the proper documents are missing, see below from their terms and conditions; and no airlines provide refunds for this.

From Kenyan Airways terms and Conditions

13.2 TRAVEL DOCUMENTS Prior to travel, you must present all exit, entry, health and other documents required by law, regulation, order, demand or other requirement of the countries concerned, and permit us to take and retain copies thereof. We reserve the right to refuse carriage if you have not complied with these requirements, or your travel documents do not appear to be in order.
    13.3 REFUSAL OF ENTRY If you are denied entry into any country, you will be responsible to pay any fine or charge assessed against us by the Government concerned and for the cost of transporting you from that country. The fare collected for carriage to the point of refusal or denied entry will not be refunded by us.

I am afraid your friend owes you the money you paid for his ticket. Even if they did provide credits they would be in his name' and are usually not transferable.

Patina and Michelle Friedman like this.
  3. traveling man

we came in on a different airline and he had an existing paid return ticket to Nairobi. in the chaos i did not think and bought him a return ticket so the airline actually got more for the ticket i,paid than his orig ticket cost.

4. JVillegirl541

Staff Member Advocate

Bottom line your friend has a credit due him for his return ticket that is unused. The credit will be in your friends name and can't be transferred to anyone else.
    It's not the airlines fault that someone made errors on the Visa and while the airlines try to be vigilant in stopping those passengers with faulty papers from boarding the flights it is not always possible. They are not an immigration authority and can't be held responsible.

Your are correct this is an unfortunate set of circumstances and your friend is caught in the middle. But you can't blame the airline for a Visa mistake made by the Consulate Staff and you are unlikely to get any money from a Govt Official who simply made a mistake.

You will need to have your friend reimburse you for the airlines ticket you purchased for him. He is lucky to have such a good friend!

jsn55 and Neil like this.
  5. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

He SHOULD have a credit but if there were separate tickets and he was a no show, the airline might not have a credit for him- it depends on the class of ticket.

And as jsn said, if there is one it will be in his name and a cancellation fee will be assessed.

Unfortunately you tried to do the right thing for your friend and unless he reimbursed you, you will be stuck here. The credit cannot be transferred to you IF there is one.

JVillegirl541 likes this.
  6. traveling man

the funny part is immigration told him and a few others to go back to the embassy and get their money back for,the visa's they screwed up. one guy applied for 3 month multiple entry visa as a business man and normally has no problems. this time they screwed up gave him 3 month single entry and cost him lost business.

seems the embassy in Nairobi has a buch of idiots working there.

there were guys from India and DRC with visa issues also.

if it was not so sad that all these people,came thousand and thousands of miles only to find out there was a mistake, usually a number transposed somewhere then it would be a reality show.
    immigration is a nightmare to deal with. if you have a 3 month visa like my fried did i do mot understand why you must eneter on an exact date...what happens if there are weather or mexhanical delays and flight comes in past midnight ? will they turn a whole plane around ? as long as you legally obtained the visa and leave within the time limits allowed and commit no crimes then i see no,problem. but imam not someone on a power trip either. the rudeness was amazing. go, home, bye bye, uou cannot stay you have to go.

just like a child taunting someone.

7. JVillegirl541

Staff Member Advocate

So has your friend returned to the Embassy and gotten his Visa corrected? Check and see how much of a credit he may still have from the return leg not flown. I believe you had a TA who made arrangements for you and handled the cancellation. Maybe your friend will still be able to visit!

8. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

We just returned from Nairobi and we had issues at the airport with luggage and were told 3 different things on whether we needed to get a transit visa coming back from Tanzania. We had bought a single entry visa when we arrived because we were transiting back from Tanzania and the airline should have checked our bags through because there was reciprocity.

The tour operator that bought our Precision Air tickets from Tanzania to Nairobi put 7 people on one PNR and the airline could not check us through because everyone had different flights, leading all of us to have to pick up our bags and exit the transit zone, which should have required a transit visa. They finally just stamped our passports and waived us through. It was a mess and I was thankful that it was us and not a client.

The Precision Air staff also made a mess of the luggage and put the wrong luggage tags on everyone's luggage. There is still
    A bag in Nairobi that Delta cannot get the airport to release because it is tagged with someone else's name.

Nairobi is quite mixed up that's for sure. I think your friend should go back to the embassy and see what they can possibly do.

jsn55 likes this.
  9. JVillegirl541

Staff Member Advocate

Yiks! :(

10. kenish

Staff Member Advocate

@traveling man , your document attachments contain detailed information that ID thieves will love! Please remove the attachments (thank you for providing them but they aren't necessary), or at least redact the personal info. The documents can be viewed by any internet user.

<I see they are removed, thank you Moderator!>

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  11. traveling man

Seems thst people have this mixed up.

I live here in the states.

He is a kenyan.

On my way through earlier year we were both going to South Africa. I need no visa he did.

We were going to spend 2 weeks together in SA, when the nightmare with immigration happened.

What they do is send you home and give you 72 hours to go appeal the decision but since it cost me over $500 to send him hime and would have cost me at least another $500.. If he got it straightened out to fly him back and with it not being his money he did not care about the cost so i had no desire to have him come back for a week .

12. traveling man

I just saw this and was going round and round trying to,guess how to do it, then i saw you deleted tyem. Thanks !

13. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

This is exactly how it works when you don't have proper documents. It is each persons responsibility to check requirements for entry where ever they travel. They cannot allow someone in who doesn't have proper documents.

He should go back to the embassy and see if they will do anything since they completed his paperwork. Of all places the Embassy should have properly filled out the paperwork.

John Galbraith likes this.