Refund for portion of unused ticket.

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 31, 2017
My nephew recently had a Sunday evening return flight from HOU to ATL on Delta. The plane he was supposed to fly on had mechanical issues so it was canceled. Knowing that he had to get back to his military base in Alabama that night, he purchased a ticket on Spirit, switched to IAH and flew to ATL. Delta was contacted last night through their Facebook portal and they recognized that the return ticket had not been used and that there was a balance left on it. The agent said he was eligible to receive the remaining balance. We wanted to find out what the balance was, but the agent said he wasn't allowed to give that information out to my nephew and he would find out what was left when he booked his next Delta flight and gave the booking agent the unused ticket number. Has anyone ever heard of something like this before? I figured that they would place the remaining balance in his Skymiles wallet for future use. Thanks for whatever information you can impart. Just trying to gather some information before we contact Delta again. :)

Sep 19, 2015
Also note that the customer service reps on Facebook do not have access to a lot of info such as complex ticketing problems, refund issues and lost baggage. For that one has to call or email.

As JohnBaker noted your nephew can apply for a refund as the airline cancelled the flight for mechanical reasons.

May 31, 2017
Also note that the customer service reps on Facebook do not have access to a lot of info such as complex ticketing problems, refund issues and lost baggage. For that one has to call or email.

As JohnBaker noted your nephew can apply for a refund as the airline cancelled the flight for mechanical reasons.
Thanks. I was wondering what the customer service reps could actually do on Facebook. You answered that for me. I just tried the link that john baker sent, but once i input the ticket information, it wasn't recognizing the cancelled part of the ticket. My nephew is in flight school right now and I was trying to help him out. But I will toss it back at him to take care of.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
They will actually refund him since they canceled the flight. He might want to check the credit card he used to buy the ticket - they may have already credited him back. Otherwise, since the link soesn't work because only one piece of the itinerary was canceled, he can use our Company Contacts on top of our page and contact Customer Service at the airline. It should be a simple fix.

May 31, 2017
They will actually refund him since they canceled the flight. He might want to check the credit card he used to buy the ticket - they may have already credited him back. Otherwise, since the link soesn't work because only one piece of the itinerary was canceled, he can use our Company Contacts on top of our page and contact Customer Service at the airline. It should be a simple fix.
Thanks so much. In the scheme of things, it isn't a huge deal like some of the things I see on here. :) My guess is that once he actually talks to someone, it will be taken care of. His time is precious right now at flight school and I was just trying to help if I could. I do appreciate your company contacts. They helped me out with a Verizon Wireless issue last year. I will tell him to check his credit card too. Again, many thanks.

May 31, 2017
Hi Neil, Just wanted to let you know that my nephew received a FULL REFUND of his ticket with Delta,. I encouraged him to submit a short, polite email through Delta's website to request whatever balance might be remaining on the unused part of the ticket. The Delta response was pretty quick and the outcome quite unexpected as he was only seeking a partial refund. Kudos to Delta! They helped me out with an issue last year too when my 91 year old aunt couldn't fly to her grandson's wedding because she had a pacemaker implanted. I worked with two different customer service reps who were awesome, and they gave her a full refund on the ticket. (which they didn't have to since it was a non-refundable ticket) I appreciate the ability to reach out for advice here. I always learn something! :)

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Glad it all worked out. I would think that Delta respected your nephews Service to our country in providing a full refund.

As far as your Aunt- she should have bought Travel insurance. She most likely wouldn’t have to throw herself in the mercy of the airline since those situations are what travel insurance is for.

May 31, 2017
Glad it all worked out. I would think that Delta respected your nephews Service to our country in providing a full refund.

As far as your Aunt- she should have bought Travel insurance. She most likely wouldn’t have to throw herself in the mercy of the airline since those situations are what travel insurance is for.
Yeah, I know. I tried several times to get her to purchase the insurance when we purchased the ticket, but no go. We had done it for a flight to a wedding for another grandson two years ago. But for some reason I couldn't get her to go for it this time. Maybe she thought she didn't have to use it the first time, might not need it for the second time. At least Delta came through, which I wasn't expecting at all cause it was a non-refundable ticket. I just gave it a try just in case and they were gracious enough to do the refund. I would never gone past the original request since it was our fault not to have the insurance.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I'm laughing, Jeannie, why should your aunt buy travel insurance when she has YOU? Delighted that your nephew got a full refund and I'm happy to agree with Neil ... respect for his service.

Delta's on a roll ... I just heard from a colleague ... she called to change tix dates for an important medical appointment and DL waived the change fee ... all she did was ask. How lovely it would be if our American-based airlines would go back to the original concept of taking care of their customers.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I'm laughing, Jeannie, why should your aunt buy travel insurance when she has YOU? Delighted that your nephew got a full refund and I'm happy to agree with Neil ... respect for his service.

Delta's on a roll ... I just heard from a colleague ... she called to change tix dates for an important medical appointment and DL waived the change fee ... all she did was ask. How lovely it would be if our American-based airlines would go back to the original concept of taking care of their customers.
And that’s the problem- she has been finding people sympathetic that refund but her luck is going to run out one of these times and the answer is going to be no for a refund- which could have been avoided by buying insurance. And buying directly through the airline is the least expensive policy she can but because it’s usually not age based.

May 31, 2017
And that’s the problem- she has been finding people sympathetic that refund but her luck is going to run out one of these times and the answer is going to be no for a refund- which could have been avoided by buying insurance. And buying directly through the airline is the least expensive policy she can but because it’s usually not age based.
You are absolutely right Neil. I do realize that I was lucky to have found sympathetic customer service agents. I always advise my friends and family to get the insurance. Obviously, they don't always listen. :) Thanks again for your advice.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Jeannie you can lead a horse to water but you can’t make them drink. And could also tell them that if they don’t buy insurance and have to cancel for a covered reason- they are on their own trying to fix it, lol