Recently married; honeymoon ticket in maiden name, passport in married name

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 5, 2018
Well, I spoke with the Visa and Passport agency in Miami and the generic number for the Miami Passport Agency (the 24/7 one) and they both said they cannot issue me a new passport since I have not had my name legally changed back to my maiden name - I would have to have a court order or a divorce decree. The women were both very nice and told me to appeal to the Consular Agency of the US in Tahiti, to which I wrote an email this evening. And I will try Expedia again tomorrow to get them to speak with Qatar to put the original statement in writing that I can come and go due to my maiden name being my middle name and appearing on my new passport.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2016
Well, I spoke with the Visa and Passport agency in Miami and the generic number for the Miami Passport Agency (the 24/7 one) and they both said they cannot issue me a new passport since I have not had my name legally changed back to my maiden name - I would have to have a court order or a divorce decree. The women were both very nice and told me to appeal to the Consular Agency of the US in Tahiti, to which I wrote an email this evening. And I will try Expedia again tomorrow to get them to speak with Qatar to put the original statement in writing that I can come and go due to my maiden name being my middle name and appearing on my new passport.
That's unfortunate. I was hoping this would work.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I dunno, Kate, with an incredible trip like this, maybe you should just divorce him this afternoon and get remarried on the beach. You've got your head on straight and I'm confident that you'll get through this in the end. Have a GREAT time!

Apr 5, 2018
I dunno, Kate, with an incredible trip like this, maybe you should just divorce him this afternoon and get remarried on the beach. You've got your head on straight and I'm confident that you'll get through this in the end. Have a GREAT time!
Haha!! Sounds like a good alternative for sure!

Apr 5, 2018
That's unfortunate. I was hoping this would work.
Me too. On a side note, the man in charge at the Consular Agency of the US in Tahiti wrote me back quite quickly after I sent him an email. He said he might be able to help and will keep me posted...maybe something will come through that way. In the meantime, I am still trying with my emails to Expedia and Qantas, and will try and call again this weekend.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Me too. On a side note, the man in charge at the Consular Agency of the US in Tahiti wrote me back quite quickly after I sent him an email. He said he might be able to help and will keep me posted...maybe something will come through that way. In the meantime, I am still trying with my emails to Expedia and Qantas, and will try and call again this weekend.
That’s a good sign. Let us know what happens.

Aug 9, 2017
I'm talking many years ago, so this may not even be available today. In the case of my new wife (at the time), we used her passport issued in her maiden name that matched the name on plane tickets, but an "endorsement" or "amendment" (I forget the exact wording) had been added by the passport agency to reflect her married name. Essentially the passport showed both names of the "before" and "after" marriage.

Jul 13, 2016
I'm talking many years ago, so this may not even be available today. In the case of my new wife (at the time), we used her passport issued in her maiden name that matched the name on plane tickets, but an "endorsement" or "amendment" (I forget the exact wording) had been added by the passport agency to reflect her married name. Essentially the passport showed both names of the "before" and "after" marriage.
Yes, I had that done when I got married. I was in a similar situation to Kate216. My passport was in my maiden name, my driver's license in my married name, with my maiden name as my new middle name. I was living in England and my husband and I went to Cyprus on holiday with plane tickets in my maiden name to match the passport.

While there, we booked an excursion to Israel, in my MARRIED name. Thank goodness I had both forms of ID with me, as they were not going to let me board. After 20 minutes of discussion and much comparison of my two photos, I was allowed to board. When I got back to London, I went to the American Consulate and had the amendment done. But this was back in 1994!

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If you simply make sure you book your tickets in your passport name if you are traveling internationally or your drivers license (if it’s enhanced) for domestic and you won’t have problems.

This letter write has a problem because she changed her passport. If she had waited until she flew and then changed the passport- she wouldn’t have this problem. And she can’t go back to her unmarried name to have a passport reissued.