1. Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
    Dismiss Notice

Rebate

Discussion in 'Comcast' started by Flying Cat, Mar 20, 2015.

1. Flying Cat

I'm reposting this at the request of someone in the comments of an article...

I'm not really sure which I should put this in, Comcast and Verizon, which I think is part of the problem here.

I purchased a Verizon iPhone through their www.comcast.com/wireless promotional site, which promises a $200 rebate card. It confirmed I was eligible, and completed the purchase without incident. The site says 6-8 weeks to receive the card. That was 11-12 weeks ago. I called the third party card issuer/rebate processing company, and they said that they would "escalate" my claim, as it had been held up for some reason, and promised that I might or might not receive a card in the mail in 2-4 weeks after their standard 7-14 day "escalation review process." They do not, as a policy, contact anyone directly regarding their claim either during or after the escalation process.

What a mess!!! I've contacted both Verizon and Comcast, who vehemently deny any culpability. They point fingers directly in the other's direction. I've contacted Verizon through their Twitter account. I've contacted Comcast via email and spoke with "executive" support.

AHHHH!!!!!

2. Grant Ritchie

Grant Ritchie Dependable adequacy :-)

Dear Flying Cat,

You haven't asked us for anything, but my opinion's free, so here goes. I'd say Comcast is the responsible party here, so If you're still waiting for them to do the right thing and would like to give them a poke, here's how.

Usually, I'd advise you to complete and submit the "Contact Us" form that most responsible companies have. But this is Comcast, so of course, they don't offer that courtesy to their customers. Your first contact will have to be by way of their "Chat" function which you'll find here:

Explain your situation, try to work things out, and give them a week to make things right. If they don't or you don't like what they have to say, escalate your appeal to the executives you'll find listed here:

Send short, polite emails to, one at a time, with a week between each, both Primary Contacts, both Secondary Contacts and the Chief Executive.

Save all your correspondence and if you don't receive satisfaction, feel free to complete and submit the Elliott.org "Help" form you'll find here:

Good luck! That's "if" you decide to do anything about this. :p

Grant

3. Flying Cat

I really appreciate the thoughtful reply Grant. I went with the tried and true short, polite but firm emails expressing disappointment they they didn't meet their commitment.

I was actually going to post back here later today to say that my particular case has a happy resolution. I submitted a claim with the Better Business Bureau online. Verizon subsequently contacted me and stepped up big time and credited my account the $200. It probably doesn't hurt that I've been a customer in good standing with VZW for close to 20 years. There's a chance that someday a $200 rebate card will land on my doorstep as well but I'm not exactly holding my breath.

I'm happy myself with the resolution, but honestly, it leaves a sour taste in my mouth. They paid me off (what they owed me) to shut me up. How often do they do this and never pay up? I'm sure many customers aren't quite as persistent/have a degree in communications/work in IT as a systems admin and know the lay of the land as well as I do with telecoms?

I work with these companies day in and day out as part of my job and I had to reach out to a consumer advocate and the BBB. And my case wasn't out of the ordinary at all. When Verizon and Comcast entered into this co-marketing agreement, there should have been established a clear resolution path. It's clear that no one I contacted on either side had any training on how to handle my case. Both tried to shift me off to the other at least twice before we resolved the issue. Either company should be able to provide a clear answer upon contacting them.

I hate to say that legislation is the answer to everything, but the question becomes, are they forcing us to legislate this? Should it have to come to that? Shouldn't they honor their commitment? If I owed them $200, there would be absolute hell to pay.

4. Grant Ritchie

Hi FC,

Oh, good! I'm glad things worked out. It sounds as if Verizon stepped up when they really didn't have to. I'm not surprised. They're good people... unlike Comcast. :mad: And I forgive Verizon for trying to send you back to Comcast a couple of times, cuz it sure looks to me as if Comcast was the bad guy here.

We see a lot of "companies behaving badly," especially in the car rental business, and you're right... the people that stand up for themselves win, but most people don't stand up for themselves. Sad. :oops:

Thanks for letting us know how things worked out.

Grant :)

5. JVillegirl541

Staff Member Advocate

On the Chat function be sure and take screen shots to document your conversations!

Grant Ritchie likes this.
  6. Grant Ritchie

Good advice, JV. Thanks!

Grant