Quest (medical lab testing) holds credit card on file

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 6, 2016
On recent visits to Quest Diagnostics, they insist one must provide a credit card in order to have labs drawn. They provide a notice that it will be charged after insurance has been billed. I am concerned, because Quest always makes mistakes on billing. It's challenging to reach them and have them corrected. I anticipate even more problems if they have already billed the credit card. Especially because I have secondary and tertiary insurance. I called Discover card to see if there was anything I could do pre-empt this, but they were not much help. Any suggestions here?

Jan 6, 2015
This has been the case for us with every lab we use. I assume they do so because some claims are denied (by the insurance) while others have a copay.

And I further assume they do this as billing patients after the fact is costly and time-consuming ...

Feb 9, 2016
I do not have the same experience with you in regards to Quest. I am always able to take my orders to them, submit my insurance info/paperwork, have labs done and then wait on the bill to come in the mail before I pay it. I usually call and pay it with my credit card :)

Feb 6, 2016
Thanks everyone for your comments.

We have to use Quest per our health insurance.

I have thought about sending Quest a letter revoking access. I called Discover Card about this, but they wouldn't give me a straight answer but implied if I consented once, I can't revoke it.

Better, I called Quest billing. They insisted that providing a credit card was optional. So I need to work that out with my wife on this one, as she insists that they required it. But better, Quest billing acknowledged that based on her secondary insurance (Medicaid Disabled), Quest writes off the balance. They told me to call back a week after the primary insurance processes it. I said I didn't have time for that. They then added it to the system, saying it should be there. They acknowledged that it was on file beforehand, but that's what the local office does.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Since several of us have the opposite experience, I'm wondering if Quest imposes this requirement based on the company that provides the patient's primary/secondary coverage. If they've had problems collecting A/R in the past, they may see this as a way to avoid dealing with an insurance company who isn't very efficient or responsive. OTOH, could it be a state thing? In California, I've never been asked to provide a credit card before service.

Feb 6, 2016
As far as the variation, it could be based on the site. We find that the staff there are quite overworked, so it may be a training issue. And I think having secondary insurance, may be when problems start.

So I just saw my primary insurance processed the claim, with an out of pocket of $44. So this should come to zero because of our secondary. The guy made a note of it, so let us see what happens.

Apr 30, 2016
Quest Diagnostics is a very reputable company, and I have personal experience with Quest. I think the purpose in asking for a credit card in advance is to avoid costs in sending a bill via snail mail as most insurance policies do not cover the total charge. I would not fret over them having my credit card number in advance as they would have it after if I paid by credit card. I am more concerned about using my credit card at a restaurant where it leaves my sight for processing.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
There are, in fact, strict rules as to who can store credit card info and who can just use it for the imminent purchase.
I don’t know these rules, but I know they exist.
Furthermore,by giving someone your CC info for ‘general use’ you might as well give them a blank check. Good luck disputing a charge with either the vendor or the credit card bank.
If you gave them the CC info, must be you gave them permission to charge it. JMHO.

Last edited:

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
As they say, I must 'respectfully disagree' with you, Pegx. In northern California, Quest has had issues with mis-information sent to doctors, and many billing issues. And that's just my personal experience over the years. I would not allow them to keep my credit card on file for any reason. Fortunately, I have choices so I don't have to deal with them any more. If I had no choice, I'd set up a credit card with a limit of $100 for them to keep.