• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

Purchased a non-refundable flight on United through Priceline, now unneeded due to a death in the family.

Jan 21, 2020
Hello,
I am in a situation where I bought a flight that is non-refundable and non-transferable on Priceline for the second week of February this year. The visit is now unneeded and I am out $400. I am a teenager and new at booking flights, this was unexpected and I am hoping Priceline will understand. If anyone has any advice on how to get a refund if possible, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

Jan 21, 2020
I also booked a king executive suite through Priceline which was $230 and am needing help on trying to get a refund through the site the hotel was all for giving me a refund until they realized it was through Priceline which is where they directed me through them.

VoR61

Jan 6, 2015
the United States
You can escalate this in writing. Normally, a death in the family is cause for a refund.

Some do's and don'ts when writing
Do not use inflammatory language - be polite, as that increases the likelihood of success
Do not attach files - their email system may discard your email before anyone reads it
Do not start with the CEO - begin at the lowest level in the company contacts shown here: https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/priceline/
Give each contact one (1) week to respond before escalating to the next level

Reactions: jsn55 and Patina
Sep 19, 2015
Often the airlines will refund a non refundable ticket when one of the travelers on the reservation passes away -- same with hotels.

Most of the major airlines do not allow for a ticket to be transferred.

If the trip is for the second week in February, how does a death now impact the travel?

One may have better luck asking for a credit with no change fees. Was this a basic economy ticket for travel?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Often the airlines will refund a non refundable ticket when one of the travelers on the reservation passes away -- same with hotels.

Most of the major airlines do not allow for a ticket to be transferred.

If the trip is for the second week in February, how does a death now impact the travel?

One may have better luck asking for a credit with no change fees. Was this a basic economy ticket for travel?
That is precisely the question. Was the travel to visit the person who was ill? We need more information on why the trip can’t be taken in February. We are missing something here.

Reactions: Bill___A
May 7, 2019
That is precisely the question. Was the travel to visit the person who was ill? We need more information on why the trip can’t be taken in February. We are missing something here.
You know, if the OP is child (a teenager under 18), I suggest he send an email to the Priceline contacts posted here — one at a time, beginning with the customer service rep and leaving one week between emails for a reply before proceeding up Priceline’s executive chain — that explains his situation as forthrightly as his post does, admitting that he is asking for an exception to the nonrefundable rule.

I suspect he will find a sympathetic ear among the Priceline execs. I know I would be sympathetic.

Jan 22, 2020
Perhaps the person he was planning to visit is the one who passed away.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Perhaps the person he was planning to visit is the one who passed away.
That is possible - and getting a death certificate if there was no insurance might help.

But the question others brought up was if he was a minor is this a valid transaction. My question was where he got the credit card to book the trip. If the card was in his name - then it would seem to be a valid transaction.

Reactions: VoR61
Mar 17, 2015
The transaction may be voidable, but it really does depend on the credit card he used, and if it was a credit card, it is probably attached to a parent/guardian's account. I know there may be ways around it, but even in the Priceline terms and conditions it states explicitly that you must be 18 to use, purchase, etc..... the site. I think the better way to go is to ask for an exception due to the death of the person you were going to visit.

Sep 19, 2015
At this point no one knows if the OP is under 18 or if the travel was to visit a relative. The under 18 is just speculation.

Without any further information from the OP we are just guessing.

Reactions: jsn55

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
u
Simply moving the cursor over a poster's name(or clicking on a smart phone) reveals basic information from their profile-including their age, if they provide it. In this case, the OP lists his age as 19.
We have seen plenty of people lie about their age when they sign up though. But this I tend to believe so that throws the minor theory out the window. He also hasn’t come back to answer our questions and I can see he’s been here since he posted.

Luke, we can’t help if you don’t answer our questions and we’d like to see if we have any suggestions if you can tell us what we need to know.

Jun 13, 2018
I'm really just throwing things at the wall to see what sticks but does the card you used have travel insurance? If so I wonder if that could help you. Depending on where you are flying from or to, there could be a storm causing flights to be canceled. If that happens then you could possibly get a refund as well

May 7, 2019
Simply moving the cursor over a poster's name(or clicking on a smart phone) reveals basic information from their profile-including their age, if they provide it. In this case, the OP lists his age as 19.
Ah, did not know that. Our poster is a legal adult, and, like the rest of us, must live with the consequences of his decisions and choices — in this case, buying a nonrefundable ticket with no insurance that would cover the circumstances of his planned cancellation.