1. Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
    Dismiss Notice

Problems on a Royal Caribbean cruise

Discussion in 'Royal Caribbean' started by Don Haag, Mar 27, 2016.

1. Don Haag

I could use your help twisting the arm of AOH (Transamerica Casualty Insurance Co.), the sweetheart insurer for RCI (Royal Carribean Cruise Line) Travel Protection Program. Our cruise started Nov. 2 2015 and ended 5 hours later when my wife was injured and spent the rest of the time in bed, in pain (and is still in on-going pain). We were at sea and couldn't get off the ship for 3 days until we reached Aruba. Everything was prorated at 8/11, which is pathetic, but we understand their rationale. The rub is there was no reimbursement for insurance coverage (AOH claims this was an optional extra and is not covered), the port charges were also prorated and even though there were no ports and because we didn't have receipts, none of the expenses after we left the ship were covered. (We claimed $108.60.) I was a little preoccupied with a sick wife in a wheelchair, 6 suitcases, and 1 carry-on, getting tickets for a flight and just getting home (to a hospital state-side) to worry about receipts. Besides, I've never heard of a Caribbean cab driver or red cup that gives receipts. Anyone with an ounce of brains would be able to figure out that there are expenses of going from the ship to the airport, expenses at the airport, expenses for snacks and meals (we left the ship at 10AM and arrived home at 11PM) and expenses from our airport to home.

Even if they don't like my numbers, there should be some reasonable reimbursement for these expenses.

My out of pocket for the cruise only was $2834.62, of which AOH reimbursed $1726.32 and airfare home ($675.40), and RCI refunded $207.20 of the gratuities.

For medical, they reimbursed me $22.79, my co-pay for drugs. If I didn't have my own 100% coverage of medical insurance, they may have paid for the 3 doctor's visits and the 3 hospital procedures, including any future treatments. However, next year, when my premiums increase because of these claims, AOH will be out of sight. I really think my insurance company should be reimbursed for these expenses, if only at a 50% rate.

2. cp556

cp556 Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

@Don Haag - First, I hope your wife is recovering and feeling better.

I can knowledgeably discuss cruises, but travel insurance can be a tricky business. Usually, however, insurance premiums are NOT refundable regardless of who issued the policy.

The proration of the refund is understandable, although not ideal since your wife was not able to participate in the onboard activities and restaurants during those three days. And, receipts are generally required even for the most logical expenditures (transfers, food, etc.)

You say your wife was injured. Onboard? The fault of the cruise line?

3. jsn55

Staff Member Advocate

I may have taken a stupid pill, but I can't quite grasp your story. Here's what you posted: I could use your help twisting the arm of AOH (Transamerica Casualty Insurance Co.), the sweetheart insurer for RCI (Royal Carribean Cruise Line) Travel Protection Program. Our cruise started Nov. 2 2015 and ended 5 hours later when my wife was injured and spent the rest of the time in bed, in pain (and is still in on-going pain). We were at sea and couldn't get off the ship for 3 days until we reached Aruba. Everything was prorated at 8/11, which is pathetic, but we understand their rationale. The rub is there was no reimbursement for insurance coverage

Please clarify for me: how did your wife injure herself, what AOH is exactly, why you couldn't get off the ship for 3 days, what insurance coverage you expected reimbursement for, and what is prorated at 8/11?

AAGK likes this.
  4. Realitoes

Don,

Have you reviewed the policy to ensure they have paid all that they are suppose to. If they haven't, have you filed an appeal with insurance to clear up any discrepancies?

It is very common for the medical insurance portion of these plans to be secondary to your own medical insurance. Normally it will only become primary when your own insurance does not provide coverage.

I did find an outline of the coverage on the Royal Caribbean page. It does state:

"benefits payable as a result of incurred Covered Expenses will only
    be paid after benefits have been paid under any Other Valid and
    Collectible Group Insurance in effect for you. We will pay that portion
    of Covered Expenses that exceeds the amount of benefits payable
    for such expenses under your Other Valid and Collectible Group
    Insurance."
    I may be missing it, but I don't see any coverage for travel expenses to/from the airport except:

"expenses incurred for non-emergency medical evacuation, including medically appropriate transportation and medical care en route, to a Hospital or to your place of residence, when deemed medically necessary by the attending Physician, subject to the Program Medical Advisors prior approval"
    Unfortunately, insurance companies follow their policies almost to the letter. If you can find any language that supports your claims, you should appeal, and then possibly file a complaint with your state insurance commission if that doesn't work.

jsn55 likes this.
  5. AAGK

Not to pile on, but we do need more detail. Also, it is probably best to exclude expenses such as ride to the airport and snacks bc, you would have to pay those things anyway, injury or not, and they are a bit distracting.

Patina and jsn55 like this.
  6. AAGK

Health care premiums are not like car insurance. They don't increase bc you go to the doctor a lot. They either go up for everyone in your group or they stay the same.

7. AAGK

Finally, YOU DO NOT HAVE STANDING, to seek a reimbursement on behalf of your insurance company so don't concern yourself with that.

kenish and AMA like this.
  8. AMA

AMA

I don't understand the posters who are trying to get one-off limited travel insurance to pay their medical bills which are, themselves, covered by their Blue Cross or whatever sort of health care coverage they have. It's double-dipping. If I buy travel insurance and I break my ankle at the resort's pool, I expect travel insurance to cover the remainder of my hotel bill because I have to go home. I do not expect the travel insurance to cover my orthopedic surgeon's bill - that's why I have health insurance.

Patina, Algebralovr and AAGK like this.
  9. AAGK

@AMA Agreed! This is apparently the new thing.

AMA and Algebralovr like this.
  10. AAGK

I started noticing these cases recently. Travel insurance is not a replacement for medical insurance once you are back in the United States, even if the illness or injury is the fault of the cruise or whatever.

AMA and Algebralovr like this.
  11. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

I am with those who do not understand what the letter writer is asking for. Please explain the questions that Judy asked.

12. JVillegirl541

Staff Member Advocate

Why is this titled about Royal Caribbean who "seems" to have nothing to do with the Letter Writers issue?
    This appears to be a Travel Insurance issue per the original post. Did I miss something?

Hope your wife is on the road to recovery!

13. kenish

Staff Member Advocate

Also, I believe the carrier is Transamerica. AON is a well-known reinsurance company that may be mentioned in your paperwork. But, I believe the underwriter is TA and that's who you need to be working with. I've never heard of "AOH".

To repeat others- you car insurance does not refund any of your premium after a collision, and homeowners doesn't refund premiums after a fire. Travel insurance is no different. Also, it sounds like this policy is clearly secondary to your group medical/ Rx insurance. So they're correct to pay you whatever expense remain after your group medical coverage; in your case you state that's zero. And, like any insurance, you must document each and every expense.

I hope your wife is better but we really cannot help further until you answer the questions other Advocates are asking.

Neil likes this.
  14. Algebralovr

I'm in the middle of a travel insurance issue myself, after hubby became ill on a ship, and there were no facilities. Luckily, it was not life threatening and we could wait until we arrived in Port Everglades for him to get significant treatment.

The way this should work: You see the Dr on board when you first become ill or become injured. The Dr decides if you can be treated on board. If you can, the Dr treats you, you may have to modify your activities, but can hopefully enjoy part of your vacation. Depending on the insurance you purchased, you may need to submit to your regular health insurance first, and the travel insurance MAY reimburse you for the days you were confined to your room if the Dr confined you to your room.

If the Dr decides the injured or ill person cannot be treated on board, the ship may be turned around or diverted, or an airlift may even be ordered. It sounds as though this was not needed for your wife's situation.

Travel insurance then picks up the pieces to take care of what medical bills your regular insurance did not cover, airfare to get you back to where you started since you had to change your plans, and reimburses you for the days remaining in your cruise you were not able to enjoy. While you did not enjoy the sea days on the way to Aruba, it sounds as though the situation was not so serious that the Dr ordered the ship turned around. Therefore, you would not be reimbursed those days unless your wife was confined to her quarters and the medical chart noted that, and your particular insurance policy specifically said it paid if the insured was confined for medical reasons.

You still ate for those couple of days on board, the room steward still provided cabin services, and you still owe port fees for your port of origin as well as Aruba where you disembarked the ship. Each policy states what it pays out in the case of trip interruption, which is what you had. Your trip was interrupted and you were medically required to return home for treatment. What does your policy state it reimburse?

Lastly, I don't believe they are a "Sweetheart Insurer" for the cruise line, but rather the cruise line offers a base line policy so that all passengers are offered travel insurance. It is a bulk policy, certainly, and because of that, the costs (and coverage) are fairly low when compared to travel insurance purchased privately from a broker - particularly for some age groups.

We are all thrilled that you DID purchase travel insurance, since otherwise you would be here asking for help to try to get the cruise line to refund the cost of the cruise, etc.

Tricia K., Neil, AMA and 5 others like this.
  15. sas80

Staff Member Advocate

2 people, 1 carry on and SIX suitcases ??!!

Sam, Warren, krisseye and 2 others like this.
  16. Joe Farrell

Actually - he does have standing because if he was injured he needs to repay his insurance company if there is any other entity repaying the claim. His medical insurance will want the claim reimbursed and THAT is the obligation of the travel insurer - they do not have the luxury of riding piggy back on his own personal insurance.

personally, if she was injured on board I'd talk to someone whose business it is suing cruise companies -

sas80 likes this.
  17. AAGK

I thought the same thing!

jsn55 likes this.
  18. AAGK

That would only be the case if he received overlapping payment. Then of course he would be expected to turn the money over. Under these facts, it seems like his medical is paying and his secondary picked up the slack. All works as it should. What should he care which insurance company picks up the tab. My experience has been that folks who take that position are usually trying to create a scenario where they receive double payment.

Algebralovr likes this.
  19. sas80

Staff Member Advocate

not to be mean, or sarcastic, and I could be wrong, but im smelling troll

AAGK likes this.
  20. Algebralovr

Unless you pay extra, travel insurance is generally secondary for medical expenses. You must submit to your regular medical insurance, receive a denial, then the travel insurance will pick up. If you have a deductible, the travel will often pay your out of pocket expenses including the deductible and co-insurance amounts.

As for suing the cruise company, not everything needs to be litigated. We don't know the situation of the injury.

I've seen people slip on the stairs and fall partly because they failed to hold onto the provided hand rail. If they had held the hand rail, they likely would not have fallen. During the safety briefing, they recommend that you hold the hand rail when using the stairs, and there are hand rails provided along the halls. Why do so many people fail to use them? Why would the cruise line be liable if someone slipped if they failed to use the hand rail where one was provided? I'm not saying this was what happened, but it is an example.

AMA likes this.