Priceline Discrimination

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 9, 2017
I booked hotel in Boston through Priceline online last August/2016. One of the most important selection was indoor pool hotel which I selected before I booked. Priceline should show all amenities even though express deal. It was unknown amenities. It showed three star hotel express deal before selection. However it was not at all. It is not a gamble. Priceline took advantage from those cases and earn millions of dollars from consumers like me. Consumer has no protection what so ever. Priceline has a pages policies and lawyers. Priceline well secure by our money is not right. Consumer not get enough explanation before transaction complete. After payment transaction shows amenities. It was bingo for Priceline and disaster for consumers!!!!
Consumer lose money and in order to get money back has to hire lawyer and spend more money!!!!
I think it is a discrimination. Let's say it was mistake I called them right away they should compromise the other way. That would be professional respond.

I paid it $ 735.28 and a minute later they showed totally different hotel as a booked. Immediately I called Priceline to refund my money back and I told them it is a discrimination and they are not honest at all.

They declined to refund money back. In the same minute I called my Citibank service and I asked to blocked to my credit card and not to let Priceline get money. However they were faster than us. As a my consumer point of view is Priceline find good opportunity corner as secure themselves with their policies. consumer and not enough explanation before transaction complete. that is the most profitable

I asked Citibank to dispute money.it took more than a six months to finalize. Priceline refused to payback my money. I am devastated. I never stayed at this hotel and I paid full.

I am asking only my rights to be full filled.

Case number/reservation number (removed by mod)

Thank you

Gulser Yaman

Interior Designer

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 27, 2016
Unclear what happened here. Please lay out your concern in bullet points, and remove the emotion.

Please let me know if the below is accurate:

*You booked a hotel through Priceline.
*It was an express deal, in which you find out the name of the hotel after you've booked.
*You choose the filter to only show hotels with swimming pools.
*After you paid, you were shown the name of the hotel, except it doesn't have a swimming pool.
*Priceline refused to refund your money.

Is that correct?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
IMG_1937.PNG So you are saying you chose a deal that had a pool icon on it and the hotel the gave you didn't have one? Like the 3.5 star one above? Are you absolutely sure that there was a pool
Icon on the list you chose?

Jul 27, 2016
View attachment 1445 So you are saying you chose a deal that had a pool icon on it and the hotel the gave you didn't have one? Like the 3.5 star one above? Are you absolutely sure that there was a pool
Icon on the list you chose?
You can also filter the list (on the left) to require a swimming pool. Doesn't say indoor or outdoor, though.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
If the hotel you 'bid' on showed a pool and the one you got didn't, you should write a letter to Priceline customer service. Be concise and factual and ask them for a refund. You should review all their terms & conditions so you know what you're dealing with. Rambling letters with claims of 'discrimination' will just get discarded.

Why did you not stay there after you'd paid for it?

ADVOCATE ADVICE
If you want a hotel with certain amenities, do your research and book directly with the hotel. A service like Priceline is for people who don't much care about the hotel, they just want a cheap place to stay. When using the internet to look for accommodations, it's good to remember that anyone can post anything. A slick website is just that ... you have no clue who you're dealing with.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
We have executive contacts for Priceline. I don't know if they will do anything after all you've done and an attempted charge back but if you can prove the listing showed a pool I think
they should have done something.

Sep 19, 2015
I have to agree with Neil after a chargeback has been attempted a company may not want to revisit the issue.

However that does not mean one should not try. A short polite letter may help. Please leave out all comments about discrimination as there was absolutely none there; same with the comments about pages of policies and lawyers. That will not help your case.

It is perfectly conceivable that there was a programming error or that they showed a category with the famous "hotels like x or y" all with pools yet once booked the traveler is in hotel zzzz which lacked the pool.

If a particular amenity is required I would advise a traveler to book directly with the hotel but call first and verify that the amenity (pool, gym, etc) is available during the stay.

So I would advise to write a polite letter and ask, as it is a fair anount of money.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I would suggest not using these opaque sites period. It's bad enough that you have no support using an OTA anyway when you do a normal booking. Chancubfnsn opaque one is worse.

Just book directly from now on to be sure you get what you want.

Did you really just not show up because there was no pool? Not sure I would have been willing to lose that much money because there was no pool. But that's just me.

Jul 27, 2016
I would suggest not using these opaque sites period. It's bad enough that you have no support using an OTA anyway when you do a normal booking. Chancubfnsn opaque one is worse.

Just book directly from now on to be sure you get what you want.

Did you really just not show up because there was no pool? Not sure I would have been willing to lose that much money because there was no pool. But that's just me.
Opaque sites can be great, so long as you (a) understand what you're getting, and (b) are looking for what they provide.

If you're looking for the perfect room in the perfect hotel for a romantic getaway, and want the help of the hotel staff to make the weekend perfect, then opaque certainly isn't the way to go.

If you're looking for "a place to sleep for a night when I'm in Chicago for a meeting, and I really don't care if it's a Marriott/Sheraton/Wyndham whatever, a king or two queens is fine" then they can be excellent, and dramatically cheaper than non-opaque OTAs, traditional TAs, or booking directly.

There are also sites (betterbidding.com, for instance) which a savvy consumer can use to determine (with a high degree of certainty) what hotel they'd get for an opaque offer like Priceline Express Deals or Hotwire, or to work out a Priceline NYOP strategy that will get you what you're looking for.

Nov 14, 2016
It's tough to tell given the broken English what the crux of the issue truly was. Was the problem the specific hotel choice? Was it a pool? Was it specifically an indoor pool? Without the OP coming back and answering these specific questions we're not going to be able to assist.

Gulser, if you do come back, please be as specific as possible when answering the following questions:

1. What was the search that you performed when you looked at hotels? Did you include only hotels with pools? Was your need specifically an indoor pool which is something Priceline does not distinguish?

2. What was the problem with the hotel that Priceline chose? You said Priceline used a "totally different hotel" but that's the whole point. It's an opaque site. So is the problem with the hotel or a specific amenity like a pool?

3. When you called Priceline, why did you demand a refund rather than asking them to book a hotel with the desired amenity (if that was the issue)? Did they offer anything?

4. When was this reservation for (date)? What hotel did they reserve? What was the cost?

To be candid, there's likely not much hope for much of a resolution here. There's likely no proof that you were guaranteed a specific amenity or hotel. This case is over a year old. This type of mistake is most commonly user error. The cc dispute has been tried and lost. The best we can do - once we have the above information - is perhaps to help you craft a polite email to Priceline asking for some sort of credit.

Advice
Please note that throwing out words like discrimination, lawyers or telling someone that they're dishonest is NEVER going to help get a customer service representative to want to help you. When working with CSRs via phone, chat or email always be polite. Their jobs are often ones where they hear nothing but complaints day after day. You need to stand out with your professionalism and demeanor to get them to want to help you. Even if they can't help you, the system notes that they record to describe the conversation can help you as you escalate an issue. A supervisor is far more likely to help when they know you haven't been screaming at their employees.

Last edited by a moderator:

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Opaque sites can be great, so long as you (a) understand what you're getting, and (b) are looking for what they provide.

If you're looking for the perfect room in the perfect hotel for a romantic getaway, and want the help of the hotel staff to make the weekend perfect, then opaque certainly isn't the way to go.

If you're looking for "a place to sleep for a night when I'm in Chicago for a meeting, and I really don't care if it's a Marriott/Sheraton/Wyndham whatever, a king or two queens is fine" then they can be excellent, and dramatically cheaper than non-opaque OTAs, traditional TAs, or booking directly.

There are also sites (betterbidding.com, for instance) which a savvy consumer can use to determine (with a high degree of certainty) what hotel they'd get for an opaque offer like Priceline Express Deals or Hotwire, or to work out a Priceline NYOP strategy that will get you what you're looking for.
I agree. But apparently this consumer really absolutely needed that pool for some reason. I myself would not have canceled because there was no pool. That's a lot of money to lose.

May 17, 2016
I booked hotel in Boston through Priceline online last August/2016. One of the most important selection was indoor pool hotel which I selected before I booked. Priceline should show all amenities even though express deal. It was unknown amenities. It showed three star hotel express deal before selection. However it was not at all. It is not a gamble. Priceline took advantage from those cases and earn millions of dollars from consumers like me. Consumer has no protection what so ever. Priceline has a pages policies and lawyers. Priceline well secure by our money is not right. Consumer not get enough explanation before transaction complete. After payment transaction shows amenities. It was bingo for Priceline and disaster for consumers!!!!
Consumer lose money and in order to get money back has to hire lawyer and spend more money!!!!
I think it is a discrimination. Let's say it was mistake I called them right away they should compromise the other way. That would be professional respond.

I paid it $ 735.28 and a minute later they showed totally different hotel as a booked. Immediately I called Priceline to refund my money back and I told them it is a discrimination and they are not honest at all.

They declined to refund money back. In the same minute I called my Citibank service and I asked to blocked to my credit card and not to let Priceline get money. However they were faster than us. As a my consumer point of view is Priceline find good opportunity corner as secure themselves with their policies. consumer and not enough explanation before transaction complete. that is the most profitable

I asked Citibank to dispute money.it took more than a six months to finalize. Priceline refused to payback my money. I am devastated. I never stayed at this hotel and I paid full.

I am asking only my rights to be full filled.

Case number/reservation number (removed by mod)

Thank you

Gulser Yaman

Interior Designer
Please explain why you are throwing around the word "discrimination." Priceline doesn't know, or care, who or what you are.