Priceline Car Rentals

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Nov 30, 2014
On October 8, I experienced an issue attempting to bid on a rental car through Priceline. My bid was $12/day.

Somehow I received a confirmation from Priceline that my bid of $32/day was accepted. This was an obvious error as I had no intention to accept a counter offer priced at $32/day. I already had a cancellable reservation at much less and I was attempting to get a lower price. My only explanation as to what may have happened
was that the screen did not refresh so I resubmitted my offer and inadvertently accepted the Priceline counter offer. I was having trouble with the airport Wi-Fi all evening so that is my only explanation.

Again, I had no intention of accepting this bid and did not pick up the car so I respectfully asked Priceline to consider removing this charge from my credit card. My first contact with Priceline occurred via online chat only seconds after I received the confirmation. I received their typical response, sorry, can't help. I was a loyal customer, but no more. Any advice or should I consider this a lesson learned, stay away from Priceline and warn all others to do as well?

Christopher Elliott

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Aug 22, 2007
Orlando
www.chriselliotts.com
I've talked to Priceline about erroneous bids like this. Sometimes, but not always, they will cancel out a transaction that is obviously wrong. If you went from $12 to $32, then that might be a typographical error.

I think your chances of getting this overturned are not so good, but I would be happy to run this by Priceline. They keep the entire transaction record, so they can provide me with the whole picture. Just let me know if that's something you want, and I'll ask.

Grant Ritchie

Dependable adequacy :-)
Oct 1, 2014
Chris,

Should we give Mr. D the Priceline contact information we have so he can make his own appeal before you get involved? That would give him more chances to get to "Yes."

Mr. D, whataya think... wanna take a crack at it before Chris steps in?

Nov 30, 2014
Chris,

Should we give Mr. D the Priceline contact information we have so he can make his own appeal before you get involved? That would give him more chances to get to "Yes."

Mr. D, whataya think... wanna take a crack at it before Chris steps in?
Sure Grant. If you have a contact that might yield a better response than the company line Priceline's customer service provided I'll take that chance. I believe it's important to note that I contacted Priceline within a couple minutes after I saw the error. It's not like my trip got cancelled...

Attachments

Grant Ritchie

Dependable adequacy :-)
Oct 1, 2014
Hi Joe,

Here's a link to our latest Priceline contact page:

http://web.archive.org/web/20140813051739/http://elliott.org/contacts/priceline/

Send a short polite email laying out your case to the Primary Contact you'll find listed there. Wait a week for a response, then, if necessary, escalate your appeal to the CEO.

If you come up empty, you can still turn to Chris, but the way I look at it, this gives you two additional chances to get a "Yes."

Good luck!

Grant