Priceline 4-Star Deal not for a Four Star Hotel

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 18, 2018
I made a reservation for a "4 Star" Hotel in Mesa, Arizona for Saturday April 21, 2018, for $88 before tax.

Note this is the information provided:

Enjoy a peaceful retreat at this recreation-rich, charming property.

When you book a 4-star Express Deal, you'll get high standards of service, upscale amenities and beautiful decor.

Our 4-star collection includes independent hotels and well-known brands like:

4-star brand logo HILTON 4-star brand logo HYATT 4-star brand logo KIMPTON 4-star brand logo MARRIOTT 4-star brand logo WESTIN

I got booked at the Arizona Golf Resort, an aging, dated facility that has comments on other travel websites about cleanliness. I had an employee that stayed there less than six months ago and the room conditions were so bad we relocated her to another hotel.

I have a chat transcript that I can email to you upon your reply. They are refusing to allow me to change or cancel my reservation.
What's your desired resolution? At this point, I will book another hotel via another website. I wish to receive a refund or a credit towards future use.

This big problem here is that this hotel property should not be listed as a 4 star hotel. Even without my employee's bad experience, this facility falls way short of the national brands listed..
What's the value of your claim (in US $)? 112
Date of transaction/travel date: 2018-04-17

Sep 19, 2015
A four star class rating system usually refers to the amenities and not the quality -- as in a place with a pool, restaurant etc -- in no way is it an affirmation of quality.

One can have a hotel with a lot of amenities but is not clean and worse than a smaller hotel with less amenities.

This is the problem with the opaque sites -- there are no standards for the hotel class system

You can write to Priceline and ask for special consideration but they are not obligated to refund the money.

I did a test booking for the same date and place.

There is a section which shows the customer rating -- a rating of 6 would not encourage me to book.

Attachments

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
This is what Priceline says about their hotel ratings online:

cannot accommodate or guarantee that special requests will be met.

Hotel Star Ratings
Priceline.com's star rating system is provided for your reference. Like other well-known hotel rating systems, priceline.com considers a number of factors in evaluating the quality of participating hotels such as: amenities, facilities, reputation, brand, other rating services, customer feedback from guests who have stayed at the hotel, etc., to assign a single star rating. Priceline.com screens participating hotels carefully and updates our information periodically to ensure the validity of our ratings. Our ratings systems may sometimes differ from those of other rating systems that you may be familiar with. We do not warrant or guarantee that our star rating system is equal to or consistent with any other star rating system and reserve the right to change a hotel's rating at any time with or without notice.

They don’t warrant their rating system.

Apr 18, 2018
Here is my chat transcript:

Hi, my name is Trixie and I'll be assisting you today.

Hello Trixie

I am sorry to hear that. let me review the reservation.

Thank you

You're welcome

Paul, I understand you need to change your booking and I wish we can de that We rate each of our hotel partners on many different criteria, including cleanliness, guest satisfaction, decor, etc. In fact our hotel ratings, in most cases, are actually stricter than other national rating companies.
We're confident that your hotel will work to exceed your expectations, In addition, I did check.and your hotel has an average guest rating of 6.2, which is based on actual reviews from priceline customers like yourself.

Trixie, I had an employee stay at that hotel in the Fall of 2017. The room conditions were so bad that we had to move her to another hotel the next day, It is not a 4 Star hotel. It should be a 2 star hoteL Please correct your rating system please and allow me
to change my reservation please.​

I am sorry if the previous stay was not what you had hoped for, We take guest feedback very seriously, and given the opportunity, we do address complaints directly with our hotel partners to ensure that future customers do not have the same issue. If you do have any issues at all during your stay, please notify the hotel staff immediately and allow them the opportunity to address your concerns. If you are not satisfied with the resolution they provide, please feel free to contact us, and we will be more than happy to contact the hotel on our behalf to try to resolve your issue. As for your request to move hotel, we are not able to do that as per policy

May I speak to a manager please?

If there's just someone who can authorize the cancellation that you are requesting, I will immediately connect you to that person; however, there is no one who can override the policy that we have presented to you prior to purchase.

Please connect me to someone who can authorize the cancellation please. Thank you
This is a Priceline error. This facility is not a 4 Star hotel similar to the examples you provide on the website listing for the offer.

I wish there is an option for us to cancel or change your booking.

I appreciate your comment Trixie but I would iike to speak to a manager or even a manager in your marketing department This is a big error on Priceline's behalf

I totally understand that you want to speak to a supervisor regarding this. I can connect you over. Please stay on the line as I find you an available supervisor now.

Thank you Trixie.

You're welcome

Hi, my name is Kristee and I'll be assisting you today
Hi Kristee please review my discussion with Trixie please thank
you.​
Hi, Paul. I am the immediate Supervisor of Trixie. Please give me a quick moment to access your record to see where you left off.
Thank you for waiting and I am sorry if your previous stay was not what you had hoped for. We take guest feedback very seriously, and given the opportunity, we do address complaints directly with our hotel partners to ensure that future customers do not have the same issue. If you do have any issues at all during your stay, please notify the hotel staff immediately and allow them the opportunity to address your concerns. If you are not satisfied with the resolution they provide, please feel free to contact us, and we will be happy to contact the hotel on our behalf to try to resolve your issue.

I appreciate your input Kristee. There are two issues here: 1 The hotel is not an acceptable hotel for me to stay at 2 This is not a four star hotel. It is a family run dated hotel facility that does not maintain their rooms to the level of cleanliness standard that one would expect from a 4 star facility. Please allow me to change my
reservation. Thank you.
I understand your frustration
I wish that I am able to do more. we rate each of our hotel partners on many different criteria, including cleanliness, guest satisfaction, decor, etc. In fact our hotel ratings, in most cases, are actually stricter than other nationai rating companies
We're confident that your hotel will work to exceed your expectations. In addition, I did check and your hotel has an average guest rating of 62, which is based on actual reviews from priceline customers like yourself.
Are you still there?

Kristee I am sorry but I have to disagree with the information you are sharing with me. If a four star hotel has an average rating of 6.2 out of 1O something is wrong. A four star facility should be getting guest ratings at a minimum in the 8s.
Again this is a Priceline error, This is not a 4 star facility. Please allow me to change my reservation, Thank you.

I wish I am able to provide you a more favorable resolution; however, your reservation is restricted and it remains non- refundable.

May I speak to your manager please? Again this is not my error as a consumer, I was grossly misinformed by Priceline stating that this facility is a 4 star facility

I wish that we have the option; however, I am the highest person that you can chat with.

I will print the transcript, do my research online and find out who I need to contact and send this email to them. You are a publicly traded company so that should be easy to find. You have been very professional and courteous, I am giving you one last opportunity to respond please, thank you.​

I wish we can offer other options: hcwever, the reservation is restricted.

Ok thank you for your time Kristee I will pursue further on my own​
I'm sorry if we're unable to provide you the answers you were looking for, Paul. Thank you very much for chatting with us today. I sincerely hope you have an excellent day.
Kristee has disconnected

Sep 19, 2015
Travelocity also lists the hotel as a Four Star category

Most of these ratings are based on amenities and not on service or how up to date -- like a conference center may get a hotel more stars than one without, but the 4 stars can be badly run.

May I ask why, if you knew there were not great hotels in the area, did you book an Express Deal where there is no indication of what the hotel will be? One look at the normal booking engine shows that there are around 3 Four Star Hotels with ratings in the 6 range, which is not great, and one being the Golf Resort. (The ones with higher customer ratings seem to cost a little more). It just seems risky to book an Express Deal and chose a hotel with a rating in the 6 range, and it looks like there is in 1 in 3 chance of getting the undesirable hotel?

You may have better luck writing to the company contacts.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I have to agree with Christina - they are not saying it is a 4 star hotel - they are calling it a 4 Star DEAL according to THEIR guidelines - that is not the same as a normal hoel booking. And my question is the same as Christina's - why use a blind booking engine? You should have used the regular booking engine and booked a refundable rate.

We use Apple Vacations a lot. I pay absolutely no attention to their Apple ratings - they have 3 star hotels rated with 5 and 6 apples and I know very well they are not any better than a 3 star.

We have company contacts for Priceline. You've dealt enough with Customer Service - write to the first executive and see if they will help. You might have to go all the way p the chain (and we can't guarantee that they will go anything for you since you opted for the blind booking engine knowing it was non refundable) but hopefully one executive might look at the hotel and see what they can do.

Let us know how it works - read the guidelines in company contacts on how to write and only write to one at a time, leaving a week in between letters.