Pre-existing condition or cancel for any reason insurance?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 10, 2017
The vast majority of prescribed medications for common conditions such as HBP, diabetes, GI problems, thyroid problems etc. can be and are prescribed as 90 days supply with 3 refills for a year's supply. Pain medications and some other DEA limited medications can be given in limited amounts (and some states are restricting further) and cannot be refilled or called into a pharmacy. They require a new prescription for each refill.
I know all about the rules and regulations regarding narcotics as I prescribe them fairly regularly to oral surgery patients. In my state I have to run a report on anyone getting them. I was referring to controlled substances in particular with the once a month/No refills statement. That is why i asked how long the trip would be. You'd think it wouldn't be a problem for the OP to get an adequate supply of any Rx medication before the trip. I was perplexed as to why this particular Rx could potentially present difficulty to obtain.

Sep 22, 2015
How long do you plan to be gone on this trip? Most medications can be authorized for a 1 month supply at a time. Is it something that can't be prescribed with refills and requires your doctor to give a new Rx each time? It's usually once a month. Those meds normally require a paper Rx and can't be called in anyway. In that case it wouldn't matter where your doctor was as you'd have to pick up the Rx in person.
Most Rx meds can get a 90 day supply

Apr 10, 2017
Most Rx meds can get a 90 day supply
Exactly. I am just trying to figure out why this medication presents such challenges and can't be filled ahead of time and in adequate supply. I am not trying to pry into the OP's personal medical history, I am genuinely curious as this is unusual.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
Exactly. I am just trying to figure out why this medication presents such challenges and can't be filled ahead of time and in adequate supply. I am not trying to pry into the OP's personal medical history, I am genuinely curious as this is unusual.
I think the most difficult part of this thread is not being able to have details but still offering sound advice. I don't feel anyone including you is trying to pry into someone's personal business but without that info it makes giving any substantial advice challenging. I do believe the OP has found resolution regarding trip insurance though, so that is positive!

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I think the most difficult part of this thread is not being able to have details but still offering sound advice. I don't feel anyone including you is trying to pry into someone's personal business but without that info it makes giving any substantial advice challenging. I do believe the OP has found resolution regarding trip insurance though, so that is positive!
It's interesting that in nearly three years, I don't remember an ongoing thread with many posts that describes a situation that I absolutely cannot understand. I still don't know what the problem was, but I agree with you, I think we solved it for her

Oct 30, 2015
North Laurasia
I have purchased both types of travel insurance. In February, I was preparing to get on a plane to CA (which was only a couple hours flight) so I purchased the cheaper policy (not a CFAR).
The morning I was supposed to fly, I instead came down with food poisoning.
No way would I have wanted to be on the plane, not with that...........

So I called the airline...this is important, because you have only a certain amount of time before you board where you can legally cancel. The airline tickets were non-refundable but I was told I would receive a credit if I flew within 6 months on the same airline. So I wasn't out any money there.
Where I WAS going to be hit was the accommodations I had reserved in CA. I called them, too, and while I had 'lost' my first day's deposit, I didn't have to pay for the rest of my planned stay.

Then I went to the ER where I finished emptying out...:-(

When I made a claim with the Travel Insurer, I went by their book. I sent them all the documentation they demanded, to include an email from the vacation rental, showing that I'd forfeited my deposit, included my credit card statement showing the amount paid, and...this was important...also included the paperwork from the ER with the attending ER Physician's name and phone number. (for the ER, not the doctor). (the hardest part was getting a phone number for the ER!)

I also talked to the Insurance company and told them I would not be claiming the airline tickets as the airline (Southwest) was going to credit me with the whole cost of the tickets if I used them). The agent said that was important information, thank you.
The result is I got my deposit back, except for taxes, without any kick from the Insurance company.

I went on the trip I'd planned a month later. The tickets cost me nothing, except that I lost the money I'd spent for early bird check in. Southwest tells you right up front those fees really are non-refundable.

Lessons learned. Keep the airline informed within their time frame (it's on your e ticket paperwork).
Call the motel etc if you're not going to be able to take the room, rental.
Finally, don't eat sushi the night before you fly.