Physical Assault on 68yr old man by c35yo on Epic

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 15, 2015
I was assaulted on the Norwegian Epic by a deranged passenger. NCL refuses to supply me with any information including the name of my assailant. The ship Security staff lied over and over that they were conducting an investigation into the incident going so far as to refuse to even interview the witnesses who had volunteered to make statements. I feel so helpless and angry that I was turned into the criminal by NCL. Since I was not physically injured, no lawyer will speak to me since they think there's no money involved. I am truly not interested in getting money over this I am just outraged to be treated so shabbily by a company I feel completely violated their contractual obligation to provide a safe environment on what is supposed to be a pleasurable experience. I will greatly appreciate any suggestions as to where and how I might get help. Thank you.

Carol Phillips

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 28, 2014
Coastal South Carolina
@Ambrose Terrence - If I read this right, you're asking for suggestions as to where/how you can get help. We'll be happy to reply and offer our best advice, but my first question would be: what type of help are you looking for?

Do you want details from the cruise line on the investigation NCL did on the incident? An apology? Acknowledgement that the environment was unsafe?

Not knowing the details of your assault, I guess we're requesting some additional information from you so that our replies can be on target.

Please let us know and let's see how we can best help you.

Sep 22, 2014
The FBI is authorized to investigate any crimes against an American citizen anywhere in the world. The problem is one of manpower not jurisdiction. So the seriousness of the altercation factors into their decision. So, you may consider filing a complaint with the FBI. But, from what you describe, it may not be big enough for them to get involved.

If you decided to file a complaint with the FBI, remember to be completely candid since lying to a Federal Agent is a felony.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2015
@Ambrose Terrence - If I read this right, you're asking for suggestions as to where/how you can get help. We'll be happy to reply and offer our best advice, but my first question would be: what type of help are you looking for?

Do you want details from the cruise line on the investigation NCL did on the incident? An apology? Acknowledgement that the environment was unsafe?

Not knowing the details of your assault, I guess we're requesting some additional information from you so that our replies can be on target.

Thank you for your kind response. I guess I can best answer by saying 'yes' to all of the above. Mostly, I am just seeking an acknowledgment from NCL of the pain, stress, anger, humiliation, fear and trip-ruination this incident caused me and my wife. I don't think people should have to go such things.

The following is a cover letter I wrote to Mr. Elliott containing more details.

September 15, 2015

Mr. Elliott:

Thank you for offering a place where people can at least try to find some satisfaction with travel problems. I hope you will be able to help with mine.

I am a 69-year-old, 5’11” man. On April 24, 2015, I was assaulted while on board the Norwegian Epic. A very fit but very disturbed 35-year-old 6’3” (at the least) man, ran at me from behind while I was walking arm in arm with my wife while leaving the ship’s theatre. He jumped on me, pushed me to the floor and proceeded to punch me while yelling “You bumped into me! You bumped into me!” He had apparently been stalking me for two days waiting for an opportunity because of a perceived verbal slight in a crowded elevator two days before at which time there was absolutely no physical contact nor heated words exchanged.

I wanted to file criminal charges against the man who attacked me and sought the assistance of the security staff on board the ship. Here is the problem: at no time did the security staff of the ship (nor the ship’s Hotel Director who strolled onto the scene well before “Security” appeared) to be the slightest bit interested in what had happened to me. They never interviewed or took statements from people who witnessed the attack and who volunteered to give statements, and they continually and shamelessly lied about conducting an investigation into what happened.

My anger against the obviously disturbed young man has somewhat subsided. After the attack he kept yelling, “I’m a retired military officer! I’m a retired military officer!” I can assume that he is suffering from some combat or service related disability. My anger at the ship and its security staff and Norwegian Cruise lines has not. My wife and I were treated like criminals from the very beginning. Reluctant to even take our statements, NCL made us pay $184 to have the ship’s Dr. look me over (an examination that could have been conducted with more expertise and thoroughness by Hello Kitty). They at all times treated us in an arrogant and insulting fashion. Mr. Ceballos, the ship’s security officer lied about many aspects of the incident in saying he was investigating what happened and interviewing witnesses, that he would file charges with police and maritime authorities in Funchal, the ship’s only port of call, that we would receive a copy of his investigation from the home office in Miami at the ship’s final port of call, and that he would provide us with the name of my assailant in that report. All of this turned out to be false. The only action the ship took in connection with my attack was to make my wife and I move out of our cabin and into another cabin because my attacker’s cabin was near to ours and they were apparently afraid he would attack me again.

We used the only shore day of the cruise to go into the Police Station in Funchal (having been advised by Mr. Ceballos to go there) where we waited about an hour and a half to be told that no report had been filed by the ship. The Funchal police took us back to the dock where we met up with the Maritime Police who also told us no notice had been given to them of my assault – again, contrary to what Mr. Ceballos told us he was going to do.

The remaining six days of the crews were, of course, a nightmare for my wife and I what with constantly having to look over my shoulder and around every corner for fear I would be jumped again. No restrictions whatsoever were put upon my assailant.

Fortunately, I was not seriously physically injured in the attack and I will not claim that I have been. Apparently, however,I am not able to take any legal action against the cruise line because the lawyers I have contacted feel that since I was not physically injured in any major way, no money would be forthcoming.

I am turning to you in the hope that you may have some suggestions or some source to which I can make the cruise line in someway accountable for the shoddy and miserable and inconsiderate manner in which I was treated. Are they not in anyway responsible for providing a safe environment for cruise travelers? Can they not be held in any way accountable for destroying any sense of security and enjoyment my wife and I could experience both on the cruise and in our subsequent two months of travel due to the lingering effects of the attack?

I so appreciate your responding. I don’t know if anything will happen or not, but it is wonderful to know someone is at least listening.

Thank you.

I should add that when I asked NCL for a copy of the investigation using the number that they gave me, they eventually sent me back only a copy of the written statements that my wife and I gave at the time of the assault. I was not given the name of my assailant, nor the names of the witnesses who volunteered to give statements who later told me that they had never been contacted or asked to give statements. (I know only their first names and their cabin number.)

We did not return from our trip until July 6, so I realize much time has elapsed. But I am told by the lawyers to which I turned (but who were not willing to help me) say that I have up to six months to file a notice of intent to take legal action and a year to file any possible suit. That is not necessarily what I want to do but if that is the only way to get their attention, I will do so.

Sorry to write so much. but, again, I am very grateful for your listening and reading.

Ambrose BruceTerrence

Sep 15, 2015
Just tell us what you're looking for, Ambrose, and we will point you in the right direction.
Hi and thank you for replying to my post.

I will respond as I did to another post. Mostly, I am just seeking an acknowledgment from NCL of the pain, stress, anger, humiliation, fear and trip-ruination this incident caused me and my wife. I don't think people should have to go through such things on what is supposed to be a pleasant experience.

The following is a cover letter I wrote to Mr. Elliott containing more details.

September 15, 2015

Mr. Elliott:

Thank you for offering a place where people can at least try to find some satisfaction with travel problems. I hope you will be able to help with mine.

I am a 69-year-old, 5’11” man. On April 24, 2015, I was assaulted while on board the Norwegian Epic. A very fit but very disturbed 35-year-old 6’3” (at the least) man, ran at me from behind while I was walking arm in arm with my wife while leaving the ship’s theatre. He jumped on me, pushed me to the floor and proceeded to punch me while yelling “You bumped into me! You bumped into me!” He had apparently been stalking me for two days waiting for an opportunity because of a perceived verbal slight in a crowded elevator two days before at which time there was absolutely no physical contact nor heated words exchanged.

I wanted to file criminal charges against the man who attacked me and sought the assistance of the security staff on board the ship. Here is the problem: at no time did the security staff of the ship (nor the ship’s Hotel Director who strolled onto the scene well before “Security” appeared) to be the slightest bit interested in what had happened to me. They never interviewed or took statements from people who witnessed the attack and who volunteered to give statements, and they continually and shamelessly lied about conducting an investigation into what happened.

My anger against the obviously disturbed young man has somewhat subsided. After the attack he kept yelling, “I’m a retired military officer! I’m a retired military officer!” I can assume that he is suffering from some combat or service related disability. My anger at the ship and its security staff and Norwegian Cruise lines has not. My wife and I were treated like criminals from the very beginning. Reluctant to even take our statements, NCL made us pay $184 to have the ship’s Dr. look me over (an examination that could have been conducted with more expertise and thoroughness by Hello Kitty). They at all times treated us in an arrogant and insulting fashion. Mr. Ceballos, the ship’s security officer lied about many aspects of the incident in saying he was investigating what happened and interviewing witnesses, that he would file charges with police and maritime authorities in Funchal, the ship’s only port of call, that we would receive a copy of his investigation from the home office in Miami at the ship’s final port of call, and that he would provide us with the name of my assailant in that report. All of this turned out to be false. The only action the ship took in connection with my attack was to make my wife and I move out of our cabin and into another cabin because my attacker’s cabin was near to ours and they were apparently afraid he would attack me again.

We used the only shore day of the cruise to go into the Police Station in Funchal (having been advised by Mr. Ceballos to go there) where we waited about an hour and a half to be told that no report had been filed by the ship. The Funchal police took us back to the dock where we met up with the Maritime Police who also told us no notice had been given to them of my assault – again, contrary to what Mr. Ceballos told us he was going to do.

The remaining six days of the crews were, of course, a nightmare for my wife and I what with constantly having to look over my shoulder and around every corner for fear I would be jumped again. No restrictions whatsoever were put upon my assailant.

Fortunately, I was not seriously physically injured in the attack and I will not claim that I have been. Apparently, however,I am not able to take any legal action against the cruise line because the lawyers I have contacted feel that since I was not physically injured in any major way, no money would be forthcoming.

I am turning to you in the hope that you may have some suggestions or some source to which I can make the cruise line in someway accountable for the shoddy and miserable and inconsiderate manner in which I was treated. Are they not in anyway responsible for providing a safe environment for cruise travelers? Can they not be held in any way accountable for destroying any sense of security and enjoyment my wife and I could experience both on the cruise and in our subsequent two months of travel due to the lingering effects of the attack?

I so appreciate your responding. I don’t know if anything will happen or not, but it is wonderful to know someone is at least listening.

Thank you.

I should add that when I asked NCL for a copy of the investigation using the number that they gave me, they eventually sent me back only a copy of the written statements that my wife and I gave at the time of the assault. I was not given the name of my assailant, nor the names of the witnesses who volunteered to give statements who later told me that they had never been contacted or asked to give statements. (I know only their first names and their cabin number.)

We did not return from our trip until July 6, so I realize much time has elapsed. But I am told by the lawyers to which I turned (but who were not willing to help me) say that I have up to six months to file a notice of intent to take legal action and a year to file any possible suit. That is not necessarily what I want to do but if that is the only way to get their attention, I will do so.

Sorry to write so much. but, again, I am very grateful for your listening and reading. Whatever suggestions or comments you might have, Ms. Serienagy, will be appreciated.

Ambrose BruceTerrence

Sep 15, 2015
The FBI is authorized to investigate any crimes against an American citizen anywhere in the world. The problem is one of manpower not jurisdiction. So the seriousness of the altercation factors into their decision. So, you may consider filing a complaint with the FBI. But, from what you describe, it may not be big enough for them to get involved.

If you decided to file a complaint with the FBI, remember to be completely candid since lying to a Federal Agent is a felony.
Thanks for your response.

I don't suppose it is a matter for the FBI but mostly because I think the man who assaulted me is suffering from a service-related disability. After he attacked me, he was yelling, "I'm a former military officer! I'm a former military officer." If such is the case, I would hardly want to charge such a person. I would, however, like his name so that I can follow up and see if other people have had problems with him, if he is a danger to others, etc. My distress is now much more with Norwegian Cruise Lines and their, in my opinion, disgraceful, dishonest and callous attitudes toward the incident.

In any case, thanks again for your concern.

Sep 22, 2014
Thanks for your response.

I don't suppose it is a matter for the FBI but mostly because I think the man who assaulted me is suffering from a service-related disability. After he attacked me, he was yelling, "I'm a former military officer! I'm a former military officer." If such is the case, I would hardly want to charge such a person. I would, however, like his name so that I can follow up and see if other people have had problems with him, if he is a danger to others, etc. My distress is now much more with Norwegian Cruise Lines and their, in my opinion, disgraceful, dishonest and callous attitudes toward the incident.
In any case, thanks again for your concern.
You should do what you think is best under all the circumstances.

Aug 28, 2015
New York
@Ambrose Terrence The cruiseline is not a therapist. It is not even a human. It is a corporation You will not receive the validation you seek from them for your pain, humiliation or anything else. Whether what happened to you is because of the ship's negligence or whether it was just a random criminal act that could have happened anywhere and couldn't have been prevented is not for me to say. Your request, if that truly is all you seek, is not reasonable. If you are seeking damages, a refund, etc- that is a different story.

Carol Phillips

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 28, 2014
Coastal South Carolina
@Ambrose Terrence -
Thank you for providing the details on the incident that occurred onboard Norwegian Epic. I cannot imagine how you and your wife must have felt for the remaining days of a long Trans-Atlantic cruise, wishing to avoid this gentleman. Even on a nearly 1100-foot long vessel, there's no place to really be certain that you are not within sight of this person ... especially for 5-6 days at sea.

Although NCL assumed no responsibility for what happened, nor honored their verbal statements to you about what would be done, I think that their changing your cabin tacitly acknowledged that they were concerned about your possible safety.

So, here's my two cents on what I'd do:

In our list of COMPANY CONTACTS above is information for NCL.
http://elliott.org/company-contacts/norwegian-cruise-line-ncl/
At this point, I'd probably write to Vivian Ewart, explaining briefly what occurred. Leave emotion out of it ... "just the facts, ma'am". Be SURE to include the ship, sail date, and your reservation number.

I would not use words such as "lied", "deranged", or the like.

Since you aren't after money or damages, and since you fortunately were not injured, I'd take the tack of "how disappointed" you are with NCL and how they handled this incident. You may wish to tell them if you felt unsafe, about being told to see the police in Madeira (although I'm not sure what jurisdiction Portugal would have in this case), about not receiving promised reports, etc, etc.

I believe that a cruise line has a responsibility to provide safe, comfortable passage for its guests, and I'm guessing that your remaining days aboard Norwegian Epic were not totally comfortable.

Send the email, allow one week for a reply, and if there is no reply or an insufficient one, send another email to the next executive in line ... and repeat if necessary. The idea is to allow each level to respond before approaching the next level.

At the least, this procedure will allow you to know that you've advised the cruise line of your disappointment in how they handled the issue.

And please let us know what transpires.

Sep 15, 2015
@Ambrose Terrence -
Thank you for providing the details on the incident that occurred onboard Norwegian Epic. I cannot imagine how you and your wife must have felt for the remaining days of a long Trans-Atlantic cruise, wishing to avoid this gentleman. Even on a nearly 1100-foot long vessel, there's no place to really be certain that you are not within sight of this person ... especially for 5-6 days at sea.

Although NCL assumed no responsibility for what happened, nor honored their verbal statements to you about what would be done, I think that their changing your cabin tacitly acknowledged that they were concerned about your possible safety.

At this point, I'd probably write to Vivian Ewart, explaining briefly what occurred. Leave emotion out of it ... "just the facts, ma'am". Be SURE to include the ship, sail date, and your reservation number.

Since you aren't after money or damages, and since you fortunately were not injured, I'd take the tack of "how disappointed" you are with NCL and how they handled this incident. You may wish to tell them if you felt unsafe, about being told to see the police in Madeira (although I'm not sure what jurisdiction Portugal would have in this case), about not receiving promised reports, etc, etc.

I believe that a cruise line has a responsibility to provide safe, comfortable passage for its guests, and I'm guessing that your remaining days aboard Norwegian Epic were not totally comfortable.

Send the email, allow one week for a reply, and if there is no reply or an insufficient one, send another email to the next executive in line ... and repeat if necessary. The idea is to allow each level to respond before approaching the next level.

At the least, this procedure will allow you to know that you've advised the cruise line of your disappointment in how they handled the issue.

[/QUOT
@Ambrose Terrence -

Thanks again. I will certainly think about doing what you suggest; in fact, I probably will do it. I hate re-living this over and over. I don't like the idea of giving up on legal action since I think NCL has shown they don't particularly care.
I am grateful for your suggestions.

Sep 15, 2015
The words that jumped out at me were: "perceived verbal slight.'
What did you say? Exact words please.
This is what happened two nights before I was assaulted.
I stepped onto an elevator on the Epic, turned around and as the door closed, the woman standing next to me announced that the elevator was too crowded for her. She kept the door from closing, got off, turned around and yelled that she would meet the other member(s) of her party on the seventh floor. The door closes.

Someone from the back pipes up with some remark that I did not hear. The man standing next to me says, “I don’t think he cares.” I said, quite calmly, “Well, you will have to judge for yourself.” He said, “I will.” I then said, “You know, you could have gotten off and made room for her yourself.”
Period. End of discussion. No physical contact was made nor was anything said in an even mildly heated way.
Two nights later, my wife and I are sitting in the theatre waiting for a show to begin. This same man comes and sits next to me and says only, “You pushed my mother.” I replied, “I did no such thing. Your mother left the elevator voluntarily.” I repeated what I had said before, “You could have left and made room for her if you were so concerned.” With that he simply glared at me and left. I was not particularly concerned.
As we usually do, my wife and I waited for about 15 minutes after the show for the crowd to leave. We got up, walked toward the exit, arm in arm, at which point that same man, of course, ran up from behind me, shoved me to the ground, jumped on top of me and proceeded to punch me as he yelled, “You bumped into me! You bumped into me.”
I would appreciate knowing if you think what I called a "perceived verbal slight" in any way justifies a very strong, around 35 year-old man attacking an at-the-time 68-year-old man from behind while he is casually walking out of a theatre with his wife.

Ambrose, nothing justifies a 35 year old attacking a 65+ male or female unprovked by violence.
As for Epic refusing to carry out a proper investigation and file the appropriate complaints - I can think upo a few causes of action - but you have to first do the research to see if maritime law supports your claim that they have a duty at the outset to do something about it - this is the type of thing where you contact an investigative reporter in the Miami area who planning a big expose on crime on cruise ships - and get a couple digs in.

Aug 10, 2013
Atlanta
Of course it is never appropriate to respond to anyone with violence, the only exception being if you are truly fighting for your life. Unfortunately, crimes often go unreported and uninvestigated on cruise ships. It seems your intention isn't so much to punish the attacker or get a windfall from NCL, but you are frustrated with the circumstances. I can completely understand that; it is frustrating that a crime can occur out at sea and no one does anything about it.

My suggestion would be to focus your energy on changing the laws in the first place. There are advocacy groups currently lobbying to change the status quo by enacting legislation forcing cruise lines to address, accurately report, forward information to authorities and preserve crime scenes, among other things. You can start by writing a letter to your congressman and senators, who may take a bit but do always reply, and get their stance on the issue. Some googling provides the names of several organizations that are working towards this common goal. Try contacting them and seeing what you could do to help. I am thinking, honestly, that you're Not really going to get anywhere with NCL. But you could be part of the solution, which should be all of our goal when we encounter something we find unjust.

Sep 22, 2014
There are three questions raised in the mind of a criminal investigator:
What were the words and actions of both parties: during the intial elevator episode, during the after theater episode, and during the period of time in between.

Anyone who has cruised regularly, knows that words of dispute occur many times a day on elevators when all on shore etiquette is thrown overboard.
(It usually starts by people in the rear refusing to move to the back of the elevator and a new person wedging their way on with the remark "there's always room for one more.")

The dispute continues to fester and becomes a feud when the people invevitably encounter each other later in the ship's confined spaceand give each other "The Look".
Sometimes "the look" escalates into a "accidently on purpose" bumping or tripping which leads to direct physical confrontation.

This two part (possibly three part saga) altercation could very well have boiled down to a "he said VS he said" situation. If that's what NCL's security team determined they would have had very limited courses of action.

As a trained investigator I learned there are AT LEAST three sides to every story:
He Said and She Said and The Truth.

I'm done with this issue and moving on to other cases.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2015
There are three questions raised in the mind of a criminal investigator:
What were the words and actions of both parties: during the intial elevator episode, during the after theater episode, and during the period of time in between.

Anyone who has cruised regularly, knows that words of dispute occur many times a day on elevators when all on shore etiquette is thrown overboard.
(It usually starts by people in the rear refusing to move to the back of the elevator and a new person wedging their way on with the remark "there's always room for one more.")

The dispute continues to fester and becomes a feud when the people invevitably encounter each other later in the ship's confined spaceand give each other "The Look".
Sometimes "the look" escalates into a "accidently on purpose" bumping or tripping which leads to direct physical confrontation.

This two part (possibly three part saga) altercation could very well have boiled down to a "he said VS he said" situation. If that's what NCL's security team determined they would have had very limited courses of action.

As a trained investigator I learned there are AT LEAST three sides to every story:
He Said and She Said and The Truth.

I'm done with this issue and moving on to other cases.
I understand you are done with this but might I just say I appreciate your commenting. It's in the end, not your business so why wouldn't you just wash your hands with such a casual dismissal. Thanks again.

technomage1

Verified Member
Jan 5, 2015
Weird. I've never had problems in an elevator - aside from nearly getting stuck in one once with a bunch of Japanese tourists - it's odd what will set people off and what some consider polite others consider rude.
The other day in the grocery store I patiently waited for a lady to finish looking and clear the aisle so I could pass - considering it rude to rush her - only to get a snide comment asking in a nasty way if I wanted by. She considered rude - I guess - for me not to say excuse me. Sigh.
Having said that, dealing with the aftermath of many tours down range myself, you do spoil for a fight sometimes. After my first Iraq tour, I darn near killed an older man who was horribly rude to me* - I did stop myself from responding in any way, verbal or physical - and to this day I'm sure he has no idea how close he came to dying that day. Dead before he hit the ground was a distinct possibility. Kicking a rattlesnake, especially one trained to kill, is stupid any day of the week.
Having said that, time and help made things better. From the sounds of it, he need help. Failing to report a veteran to the proper authorities isn't cutting him a break. Without help to reacclimatize he will escalate and seriously harm himself or others.
*I swear to you people are ruder nowadays. Odd anywhere, and suicidal in a country where guns and concealed carry are legal. Small wonder we have the gun violence we do. Not that I have ever owned a personal weapon, mind.

Aug 28, 2015
New York
I do believe there is a lack of elevator etiquette,. I can be a bit claustrophobic and would definitely find it rude that 2 people squeezed in to such a degree the door wouldn't even close, rather than just take the next one, so that I had to separate from my group. It is supposed to be a vacation, not rush hour. (An etiquette breach is never an excuse for physical violence, though)

Aug 28, 2015
I am one of those odd ducks who does not agree with the statement that "there are always 2 sides to every story". I believe that sometimes in life, it is really clear who is wrong, especially if one of the participants is crazy.
A deranged passenger is.....deranged .....and neither logic nor ignoring the person will improve the situation. The only way to deal with deranged people is avoidance, unfortunetly… the elevator sharing of space was unavoidable and unforeseeable, as was the later attack.
Unless you want to sue the person or the cruise line, or become an advocate to change maritime laws, or initiate a newspaper expose, then I think your avenues of pursuit may be over. I think this is an awful experience, and there is no excuse for what happened to you. And I think you should chalk this up to the fact that you can't control the behavior of any person other than yourself, and you should put the incident behind you and move forward. Just be grateful you were not physically harmed.

Status
Not open for further replies.