1. Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
    Dismiss Notice

Payless Car Rental, SanDiego CA

Discussion in 'Car rentals' started by Lar2017, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Lar2017

On Sept.17th my wife rented a car from Payless in (airport) SanDiego,CA. She returned the car on the 18th and it was checked out by a Payless Rep named Angel who said all was good.

On 9/19 Payless had charged $25.54 for a days rental, and a deposit of $250 on the 20th and said it would return deposit on her C.C. within 7 days. We did not get our deposit back, so on 9/29th I called and left a message with Payless about the deposit.

I did not receive any call back, so on Monday 10/02 I called again, left a message again no call back, So I disputed the $250 charge with my C.C. company. The next day (10/03) my wife got a call from Payless stating that they found damage to the vehicle.?

This was 3 weeks to the day my wife turned the car in and we never heard from Payless. The damage they showed was UNDER the driver side front bumper which unless you get down on your knees to look you cannot see the damage. Angel the Rep did not see it, and how can we be sure that actually occurred when my wife had the vehicle?

It's strange that no one called us UNTIL I disputed the charge on our card. I believe that they have a responsibility to locate any damage while the driver of the vehicle is still present, not 3 weeks after the fact!

Also, when I heard of this I checked into Payless online and they have done this before. The one that stands out is a woman who was notified 2 months later about some damage to a vehicle she rented, but was not told the day she turned her rental in.

My wife only drove the car a total of 27miles, parked in another parking garage on the 18th for 9hrs, the she drove it back to the airport. Payless has no proof the damage happened while she had it for one day. Just their word against ours.

We have rented many cars at airports (wife used to work for United airlines) for 40yrs and this has never happened to us, she knows she did not hit anything and was shocked to hear this accusation from Payless.

What's your desired resolution? To drop the $854 claim (they stated it may be even more as this is their estimate) as we feel this is a bogus claim with no substantial proof.

Date of transaction/travel date: 2017-09-18

2. sas80

Staff Member Advocate

that's what they tried o get me for, except they noticed it when I dropped it off. Who would ever think to get on the ground and look at the body of the vehicle underneath?

red this
    http://forum.elliott.org/threads/how-to-deal-with-a-car-rental-damage-claim.1514/

Compose your letter. Deny you damaged the vehicle. Explain your circumstances. Ask for all documentation cited in that link. At the end reiterate that you did not damage the vehicle and ask them to drop the claim.

Post it here if you want us to review it before you send it.

Process is - start with customer service, email there. Wait one week. If no reply or reply contains "sorry you are on the hook" send the letter to the first executive.

etc, etc, etc

In between each reply feel free to post here what they said and we can coach you.

Neil, jsn55 and Carrie Livingston like this.
  3. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

4. SunflowerLinda

Same thing happened to me a couple a years back by Sixt in Orlando. Now I do get down on my hands and knee's and take pictures of the area below the bumper. Don't forget the roof and the inside of the car. Good luck with your claim, my credit card paid mine.

TropicalRichmond and sas80 like this.
  5. Lar2017

Thank you Linda, still playing the waiting game.

6. joycexyz

And let's add undercarriage (crawl under the car!) and trunk interior and engine compartment. Photograph every inch! Self-defense.