Park City, Utah - Hyatt Place

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 28, 2018
Hi -

I recently stayed at the Hyatt Place in Park City, Utah for 5 nights during the Sundance Film Festival. Unfortunately, our experience at the Hyatt property was so unpleasant that we checked out a day earlier than planned.

Here's what happened:

1) The power went out for one of the days we were there. During the outage, the other couple traveling with my husband and I were briefly stuck in the elevator. At checkout, the hotel didn't offer so much as an apology. They simply said the outage was out of their control.

2) We ate dinner in the hotel restaurant and received extremely poor service. First, the waiter didn't provide plates or silverware with our appetizers. When we ordered a bottle of wine, the bottle was brought to our table already opened. For dinner, a few of us ordered grilled cheese which appeared to have been microwaved and made with sprinkle cheese. The pieces of bread didn't even stick together.

3) We kept a "do not disturb" sign on our hotel room door so that we could sleep in a few days we were there. Despite the sign, the housekeeping staff would knock on our door early in the morning and when we opened the door, ask if they could come in and clean our room. This happened multiple times and made us feel pressured to leave our room as fast as possible in the mornings.

I've tried to resolve this with the staff at the Hyatt Place in Park City, but with no luck. They offered $50 off of our bill, which was disappointing given that our total bill for the stay was well over $1,000. When I asked what else the staff member could provide, he said he would find out and call me back. That was over 48 hours ago and I haven't yet received a call. If all Hyatt Hotel properties are like this, I will not stay at a Hyatt again.

If anyone has any suggestions or can offer any help for us to get our account credited for at least a portion of our stay, I'd really appreciate it.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Honestly- your complaints are really minor. As far as early morning knocks on the door- did you speak to Management after the first time and tell them to notify the housekeeping staff not to know on the door? Did you tell the manager of the restaurant the food was unedible? Did you reduce the tip for the poor service?

I would suggest you complain to Hyatt Corporate offices. We have company contacts on top of our pages. Click on the first post- it tells you how to write to the company.

Follow the directions and let us know what happens. Good luck!

Jan 6, 2015
When I searched for your hotel, with an eye toward "is it a franchise or corporate owned hotel"? I could not determine so I called corporate and verified that it is a franchise. The representative with whom I spoke indicated that corporate can help with this as Neil has indicated (provided you have checked out at this point).

By the way, this hotel opened in May of 2016
www.investors.hyatt.com/investor-relations/news-and-events/financial-news/financial-news-details/2016/Hyatt-Place-and-Hyatt-House-Celebrate-Continued-Momentum-with-10-Hotel-Openings-During-First-Quarter-2016/default.aspx

Best wishes for success ..

Jan 6, 2015
I will add a few words about your list. Mostly remove any negative statements that are directed at the people:
  • "the hotel didn't offer so much as an apology"
  • "received extremely poor service"
  • "They offered $50 off of our bill, which was disappointing"
  • "I will not stay at a Hyatt again"
The facts will ultimately "win the day" here (if indeed that is possible). This is a Hyatt Place, where more is expected for the guest experience. Thus:
  • During a power outage, our friends were stuck in the elevator
  • No plate or utensils were provided for/with our appetizers
  • Our wine was brought to the table already opened
  • The grilled cheese we ordered appeared to have been microwaved and made with sprinkle cheese (the bread slices did not stick together as is typical for this entree)
The hotel has offered to deduct $50 from our bill, but matched against the $1,000 we paid, we feel this is inadequate, and that a Hyatt should provide a better experience.​
Thank you for your time and consideration ...​

These are just my thoughts ...

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I would also suggest asking for what you think you should be offered. IMO I don’t think you should ask for more than $100. If you ask for too much they will just say no.

And don’t say you won’t stay at Hyatt again- if you say this they don’t have any reason to give you anything because you aren’t coming back. They would make you an offer so you would come bs k and see that their service is better than what you received.

Sep 19, 2015
Honestly I would take out the entire elevator issue. If there was are regional power outage it was out of the hotel's control, and since an elevator is run on electricity, what does one expect? And I notice the word is briefly. I fail to see how the hotel is responsible. I have been briefly stuck in elevators, in hotels and offices, it is no fun but I have never expected an apology from the building. I am actually perplexed as to why the hotel is being blamed for his. Perhaps the utility company should be contacted for an apology.

the Hyatt Place brand is what the call the "modern essentials"; it is not the premium or luxury brand or level.

I notice that this is a smaller more casual hotel with no pretensions for fine dining: from their website:

Park City Dining
Order shareables, soups, salads, sandwiches, and more from our 24/7 Gallery Menu,

Concerning the appetizer -- was there not already cutlery at the table? Were these appetizers that needed separate plates, or something like salads?Concerning the grilled cheese -- was the issue brought to the attention of the restaurant at the time? Was there a complaint made about the wine being opened? Was a request made for a different bottle to be opened at the table? What did the restaurant manager say and what chance where they given to correct the issue? Did the restaurant offer to remake the grilled cheese?

And the do not disturb issue -- was a call made to the manager of housekeeping at the time to discuss the concerns?

Jan 6, 2015
Neil and Christina both makes ecellent points with which I agree. When you appeal you want to win them over, not tell them off or tell then what to do. Just politely state what happened and what you want in terms of compensation. Be very polite ...

johnbaker

Verified Member
Oct 2, 2014
@Amanda H Reading through your note here's my initial thoughts so you can figure out what you'd like to ask for.
1. The issue with the other elevator is for the other couple to fight. It just clouds your letter.
2. Sounds like you did have some bad service during your dinner. Just keep in mind its kind of par for the course at the lower end restaurants in lower end hotels.
3. Unfortunately the actions of the gunman in Las Vegas have lead a number of hotel chains to rethink the whole "Do Not Disturb" sign. I was recently at a conference and stayed in two higher end properties owned by different companies (one was a Hyatt Regency). Both hotels had pulled the DND signs out of the rooms. Apparently one of the initial findings in Las Vegas is that the gunman had used the DND sign to hide his preparations for days.

With that in mind, I think $50 in cash, essentially, was fair. You might get a little more if you're willing to accept points but you basically got $50 for a bad meal that probably cost you less than $50 to begin with.

Good Luck!

Sep 19, 2015
JohnBaker makes an excellent point on the do not disturb corncern. Considering the OP was there at an event, the film festival, the hotel may have been on heightened alert after the Las Vegas attack and want to check each room per day.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
JohnBaker makes an excellent point on the do not disturb corncern. Considering the OP was there at an event, the film festival, the hotel may have been on heightened alert after the Las Vegas attack and want to check each room per day.
That’s correct - Disney and Hilton have both instituted that change and I think you are going to see others follow suit. But all you need to do is call the front desk and tell them to note on you room for housekeeping you don’t want a knock on the door before a certain time in the morning . It’s not difficult to do.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.trav...el-news/hotel-do-not-disturb-signs?source=dam

Jan 6, 2015
The issue according to Amanda is that "the housekeeping staff would knock on our door early in the morning and when we opened the door, ask if they could come in and clean our room. This happened multiple times and made us feel pressured to leave our room as fast as possible in the mornings."

Whether or not these security measures are warranted, surely the hotel could establish a better schedule for the housekeeping visits. "Early in the morning" conflicts with the "need for privacy" cited by Hilton in the link Neil posted. It seems to me that lunchtime would be a far better solution. This would eliminate the need to advise/request a time from the front desk.

I find myself in full support of Amanda's concern here ...

Jan 6, 2015
Good point Neil. It may not have occurred to her/them. I can see where they may have assumed this was standard procedure and not able to be changed.

Sep 19, 2015
The issue according to Amanda is that "the housekeeping staff would knock on our door early in the morning and when we opened the door, ask if they could come in and clean our room. This happened multiple times and made us feel pressured to leave our room as fast as possible in the mornings."

Whether or not these security measures are warranted, surely the hotel could establish a better schedule for the housekeeping visits. "Early in the morning" conflicts with the "need for privacy" cited by Hilton in the link Neil posted. It seems to me that lunchtime would be a far better solution. This would eliminate the need to advise/request a time from the front desk.

I find myself in full support of Amanda's concern here ...
Early in the morning means different things to different people..... as does lunchtime... start work at 6 am lunch is earlier than those that start at 8 am. I am not a morning person so I speak from experience...

Unfortunately travel has become more complicated, it is a sign of the times we live in and now there is even more of a conflict between privacy and security; the hotels are worried about lawsuits and liability.

I wish I had an easy answer.

Sep 19, 2015
and I just listened to the news here in NYC -- there was a terrorist attack several months ago, a man drove a truck into a bike area and killed people. The terrorist was a lone wolf, as they say. Now the city has been served notice of lawsuits asking for over 600 million, saying that the city "knew" that the area was vulnerable to attacks. Hotels will act to prevent liability claim.

Jan 6, 2015
Here's an example of a reasoned approach to this issue:
www.nytimes.com/2018/01/04/travel/disney-hotels-do-not-disturb.html

from Nigel Glennie, the company’s vice president for corporate communications ...
Hilton guests will still have the option to hang a “do not disturb” sign on their doors, but the revision includes a 24-hour detail to help Hilton employees manage extended use of the signs.

“The clock starts when a team member first notices the ‘do not disturb,’” Mr. Glennie said, and “they will alert a manager if it’s still up after 24 hours.”

That doesn’t mean someone will enter the room every day, but it will help inform management’s decisions, he said.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
and I just listened to the news here in NYC -- there was a terrorist attack several months ago, a man drove a truck into a bike area and killed people. The terrorist was a lone wolf, as they say. Now the city has been served notice of lawsuits asking for over 600 million, saying that the city "knew" that the area was vulnerable to attacks. Hotels will act to prevent liability claim.
And the new blockades they put up in the tourist areas are a pain in the neck to walk around. It stops people up when youa re in big groups and have to dodge them.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Good point Neil. It may not have occurred to her/them. I can see where they may have assumed this was standard procedure and not able to be changed.
And she could have sent her sandwich back too. There is no reason people should suffer in silence. Speak up-, advocate for yourself while you are at the property. We tell our clients this all the time - if there is a problem, speak to a manager. If they can't fix it - call us and we'll fix it while you are there. Once you get home its too late to complain.

Jan 6, 2015
We do not know exactly what she did. She has stated "I've tried to resolve this with the staff at the Hyatt Place in Park City, but with no luck".

Last edited: