1. Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
    Dismiss Notice

Paid for Bulkhead Seats, Norwegian Airlines chgs plane and no more bulkhead seats....

Discussion in 'Airlines' started by steve s, Mar 15, 2016.

1. steve s

Way back in December I purchased tickets on Norwegian Airlines. I paid the extra money for the seat reservations since that early they had bulkhead seats available which are nice for the overnight LA to London flight portion. I paid the money, reserved the seats and figured I am good to go. What happened was that Norwegian chged their plane from a 787-8 to the dreamliner "stretch version" 787-9, with the result that my paid for bulkhead seats were no longer bulkhead seats in the 787-9. I only found out by accident when I happened to see how far I was from the bathroom etc--of interest is that on the website it still showed that my seats were bulkhead--it was only when you went to actual seat assignment that you saw the real airplane layout. So now I have paid for seat reservations for bulkhead seats and I no longer have bulkhead seats. Norwegian never told me of the airplane chg. I called them and they told me I can chg back to a bulkhead seat, but of course those are long gone except for one seat, leaving my wife in the regular seat, or if I pay an additional fee beyond what I already paid. ps the exit row seats also chged--I imagine the people who originally paid for the seat reservation and now are in regular seats are going to be surprised when they get on the airplane.

I paid for seat reservations and reserved bulkhead seats. Had Norweigian told me when they chged the plane I could have intermediately chged the seats back to the bulkhead, but they didnt. I would like the airline to put my wife and I both back into bulkhead seats. (and not charge me more money beyond what I already paid before for prior bulkhead seats. )

2. steve s

ps here is Norwegian's reply

Dear steven,

Thank you for contacting Norwegian.

When you book a flight, you have the option to reserve a preferred seat. Depending on the applicable Fare Rules, a seat reservation may be considered an Optional Service and the applicable charge will apply. The current Rules and charges for seat reservations are available from us, on our Website or from our Authorised Agents. Such Rules and charges and may change.

In special circumstances we may have to change your seat, even if it has been reserved in advance. If you do not make a seat reservation, we will assign you a seat on the day of departure.

Please fallow this link to read more about our general conditions of carriage.

http://www.norwegian.com/uk/booking/booking-information/legal/general-conditions-of-carriage/

You can still do changes on your seat selection, please log in into "My travels" or contact us over the phone, we are happy to assist.

Kind regards,
    Elizabeth

3. steve s

here is the chat exchange--

Chat

Close

Alexander: Hi, my name is Alexander. How may I help you?
    steven : I made the reservations a long time ag0 and booked row 7 the bulkhead seat--but I just brought up a seat map--did you chg the plane for my flight?
    steven : it was supposed to be a 787 dreamliner
    Alexander: Absolutely, that is the 787 Dreamliner
    steven : the original map showed no row 6 on the side of the plane--so my row 7 was a bulkhead--but the current map shows different?
    steven s : to be clear--there is not supposed to be a 6GHJ row--but the current map I am looking at shows a row 6GHJ
    Alexander: I believe it is the same, but you can change your seat reservations up to 24 hours before departure.
    steven : I want to make sure I have a bulkhead seat. Can you ck what is going on--thanks
    Alexander: It could have been a minor technical glitch, i recommend deleting all unneccessary cookies and informationcapsules in your web browser and check again. Our current seating map for the 787 dreamliner contains a 6th row.
    steven : please look at this link--its to your website--
    steven : https://www.norwegian.com/uk/travel-info/on-board/seat-reservation/seat-maps/
    steven : both the 787-9 and 787-8 dont show a row 6 on the right side of the plane.
    steven : what is interesting is that the seatmap for the LA to Stockhom flight doesnt show the row 6 on the right side, but the LAX to rome does?
    Alexander: We're so sorry sir, it seems as if the seat maps on our website might be a bit outdated. Thank you for pointing this information out for us, i have sent the information further.
    steven : meanwhile--is there a row 6 on the right side of the plane? I just started a reservation and got to the select seats page and it does not show a dreamliner--it shows a plane with 43 rows. Do you want me to send a screenshot?
    File attachment upload has started.
    The file Seat Reservation - Norwegian.com.html (136.19KB) was received.
    steven : I have heard that sometimes you chg planes to some older charter plane--that would seem to be true here based upon what I just sent you?
    Alexander: I'm sorry, i can't see the seatings in an html file. When we change our flights to different planes we send out mails regarding this, as our passengers will receive the possibility to change their ticket for free or get it refunded if they are not happy with the change, and the name of the operator helping us (like go2sky) will be shown in your booking. I just double checked, that is still a 787 dreamliner.
    steven : can you look at the attachment and explain? it doesnt look like a dreamliner?
    steven : if you cant see the seating issue--go to your website--create a reservation--then go to select seats and you will see the issue. Then please explain?
    Alexander: I just checked the seating on the flight from LAX to LGW on the 5th of May, on our homepage and on both of our systems, and they all show the seats 6GHJ. Like i've said, i have reported the issue regarding the seat maps on our website, thank you for pointing it out.
    steven : But you seatmaps on your website for both 787 dreamliners dont show a 6GHJ. Can you ck if anyone is booked into those seats--that would tell us something
    Alexander: I can see that all the seats on row 6 has been reserved. Like i've said, i have reported the issue regarding the seat maps on our website, thank you for pointing it out.
    steven : I am very frustrated--I booked this flight last year to make sure I had a bulkhead seat--
    Alexander: We understand your frustration, and apologise for the inconvenience.
    steven : what can we do? what alternatives do I have? I dont want a non-bulkhead seat--that is what I paid extra for
    Alexander: Unfortunately it seems like we only have one seat available right now with extra leg room, 11D.
    steven : given the problem, and that I paid for the reservation last year--would you consider putting me in one of the seats in one of the rows in the fronter part of the airplane? I really dont know what to do--you are telling me its a dreamliner--but the current seat map is not a dreamliner--I am not sure what the airplane is.
    steven : sorry to bother you but I really wanted the bulkhead seat--that is why I paid the fee and booked way way in advance
    Alexander: Right now you are on the second row in the economy section, whereas the entire row ahead of you is unfortunately taken, there are no seats in front of you available. We're sorry for the inconvenience
    steven : that doesnt make sense if this is a dreamliner--there is no 6 HJ seats on a dreamliner?
    Alexander: On our dreamliners it seems like it is. If you really need that extra leg space it might be possible to upgrade to premium for a fee.
    steven : I already paid the fee--booked the bulkhead in all good faith and now you are telling me that I have to pay more money to get the bulkhead that I already paid for? Sorry, that just doesnt seem right
    Alexander: I'm sorry, but you reserved seats on row 7, which does not have any leg room. I have already told you all of the current possibilities, and again sorry for the inconvenience.
    steven : But in a 787 dreamliner there is no row 6--your own seatmaps and when I made the reservation show it isnt there. And every single thing I googled shows that there is no row 6 on the right side of the plane. Can you ask a supervisor to help here--because I am really having difficulty figuring this out. But I do understand that you are telling me I had a bulkhead seat--they chged the plan and took it away and the only way to get it back is to pay more money
    Alexander: I called over a supervisor once you linked me the seatmaps on our website, it has been confirmed that we do have a row 6ghj on that 787 dreamliner
    steven : I do want to know what plane it is--as there is no dreamliner that has 42 rows of seating?
    Alexander: I do not believe i have said you had a seat with extra leg room, i can't see that the seat map for that flight has been changed. It is a 787 Dreamliner, as shown in your booking and our website. You can send in a complaint under "claims & feedback" here to get an official written response here:http://www.norwegian.com/uk/help-contact/
    steven what exaxt 787 ? there are 3 major types current out there?
    Alexander: Is there anything else i can help with?
    steven : do you fly 787-9's?
    Alexander: I'm sorry i do not have access to that information. Is there anything else i can help with?
    steven : yes. I am still frozen. If the seat map is just wrong then I should keep my current seats? You said maybe--you didnt know
    steven : see, everything I have googled shows that your planes are not 787-9's and since 787-8 dont have 40 plus rows--I dont know what to do
    Alexander: At this moment there is only 1 seat with extra leg space available, 11D. Right now there is one row ahead of you, which is already taken, you are as far in the front of the plane as you can possibly get right now without upgrading to the premium cabin.
    steven s : It doesnt matter how far in front I am -- I booked a bulkhead seat--that is what I did. Either your current seatmap is wrong or I dont have a bulkhead seat. What you are telling me that the only way to be sure to have a bulkhead seat now is if I pay you extra money--that just does not seem right steven : Can you call the corporate office and ask them if you are flying 787-9's. If the answer is no--then find out how we are getting 40 plus rows of seats in a 787-8 which is actually not possible--that should answer the question on the seat map. Can you call them?
    steven : And I just found out some more information--you are ordering 787-9's but they wont be delivered until 2017. Can you clarify?
    this goes on for a while....

4. Flywisely

OK so what do you want? You paid for seat assignments and did not get one of them. Do you want a refund?

TropicalRichmond and Neil like this.
  5. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

Steve, "stuff" happens. Planes get changed, seats are not the same. There is little you can do about it.

Did you receive a refund for the seat that is no longer a bulkhead seat? Really, thats all that is owed you. They can't make a section of seats that no longer exists on the new plane and they aren't going to move you to business or a higher class of seat unless you pay for it.

Are you a frequent flyer with Norwegian? When there is an aircraft change like this, sometimes those that are frequent flyers with the airline get re-assigned seats first, sometimes only those that were originally sitting in the section of seats that is no longer available are the ones who have to be moved.

I suggest you keep checking to see if there are any cancellations and a seat might become available.

If you did not receive a refund for what you paid extra for the displaced seat, you can write to them and ask for the refund.

Otherwise, there is really nothing else we can do for you.

6. jsn55

Staff Member Advocate

Ah, Steve, this is an oft-heard complaint. I'm sorry you got caught in it. When you book your own travel (without a real travel agent), you have to stay on top of the details. This means checking your seats every couple of weeks. every week before your flight, and every day the week before your flight. Sounds dopey, but assigned seats fly into space every time there's even a tiny change, and the only way you can rebook good seats is to catch it before everyone else does. Where I sit on an airplane is very important to me, so I (along with several of my colleagues) have developed this habit, and it's very effective.

So right now, you have to decide what your comfort is worth and book the available seats that you want ... it's not fair, but it's reality.

cp556 and Neil like this.
  7. steve s

============
    SInce Norwegian only has 787-8's I didnt worry about it....although now we know that they leased the one 787-9....but your advice was correct--next time...

jsn55 likes this.
  8. Realitoes

It appears that Norwegian has updated their configuration and added more seats. Seat Guru shows their seat maps with 35 rows (with no 6G,H,J)

Capture1.JPG

Norwegian seating map has 45 rows with a 6 G,H,J.

Capture.JPG
    With those extra seats, there is bound to be less leg room.. I didn't see any reviews on the new configuration (which suggest a recent change). Here is one I found for 7G,H,J from last July:

"Seats 7G, 7H and 7J all have a bulkhead directly in front of them, so there isn't really much extra legroom. Certainly not like this seat map portrays! It is wildly inaccurate. I sat in 7J today and it was fairly miserable. 7G, on the aisle, has a little bit of extra legroom. 6C and 24C or 24G seem to me much better seats -- I looked around the plane today to check out what was best."​

jsn55 and Neil like this.
  9. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

I keep hearing about Norwegian Air and their pricing but I just priced flights to London on them and they ended up being more expensive than several other airlines once the seat assignments and luggage fees were added on. And at least for London, they fly into Gatwick instead of Heathrow and that ends up costing more for transfers to the city center.

I don't see the value.

Realitoes likes this.
  10. steve s

update--I asked Norwegian to chg the flight to the other flight that day where they had seats I wanted available--actual fare is sl less than I paid (so I am not asking for more expensive fare etc) and even that they said no. (ps they actually loose money as the seats on my flight are selling for quite a bit more than the flight thru stockholm--so if I chged flights lax to rome they would make more money reselling my seats on my current flight at a now much higher rate. -so what we have is an airline willing to loose hundreds of dollars...)

11. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

Did the give you a reason why or did they tell you that you would have to pay a change fee for wanting to change the flight?

12. steve s

No reason--they just say they wont do it.

13. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

Steve, I suggest writing to the airline using our contacts. It doesn't make sense that they won't let you change your flight, especially if you are willing to pay their change fee to do so. Did they provide a refund for the seat that was changed?

elliott.org/company-contacts/norwegian-airlines/

Write to the customer service address and see what they say. Give them a week to reply, if they don't or you don't like the answer, write to the first executive shown. Repeat weekly if necessary.

I'm curious as to why you can't change your flight. Let us know how you make out.

mmb likes this.
  14. steve s

Neil---as it was their incorrect website (and chgning planes without telling me) that lead to this issue--I asked them to waive the chg fee and put me on a day flight--where the seats arent as important. The fare on the day flight is slightly lower than what I paid back in december so I am not asking for a more expensive flight. Of interest is that my current night flight is more expensive so Norwegian could presumably resell my seats for more money than what they would get for a set of seats on the day flight--basically they are declining to allow me to change even thought its going to cost them more money in the end. I emailed the customer service address and will wait for a reply. This is what I sent to corporate email address:

Way back in December I purchased tickets on Norwegian Airlines. I paid the extra money for the seat reservations since that early they had bulkhead seats available which are nice for the overnight LA to London flight portion. I paid the money, reserved the seats and figured I am good to go. I would have waited to book but I wanted the bulkhead seats and I knew the way to get those was to book early. What happened was that Norwegian chged their plane from a 787-8 to the dreamliner "stretch version" 787-9, with the result that my paid for bulkhead seats were no longer bulkhead seats in the 787-9. I only found out by accident when I happened to see how far I was from the bathroom etc--of interest is that on the website it still showed that my seats were bulkhead--it was only when you went to actual seat assignment that you saw the real airplane layout (you have a bug in your website that still wasnt fixed when I cked it a couple of days ago). So now I have paid for seat reservations for bulkhead seats and I no longer have bulkhead seats. Norwegian never told me of the airplane chg--if you had and had a correct seat map for your 787-9 I would have chged the seats as soon as I was notified--but I was never notified and your website was wrong.

I know that you can say, yes, our website was wrong but once you book that is it, but I am hoping that we could try to fix this given the errors on your website and that no one told me of the plane change (in fact when I discovered the issue--the agent on chat didnt know that the plane was chged to a 787-9 nor did he know the website was wrong although we figured it out as the chat went on--I googled Norwegian and 787-9 and got the answer).

It would not be ethical for me to ask you to "kick out" the current people in the bulkhead seats; it would just be wrong. I was hoping to ask you to put me in any other bulkhead seats (my wife and I together)(they did find me one bulkhead seat when we all discovered this--but now my wife and I are separated) or allow me to chg to the other flight on the same day--which is for me a day flight so it doesnt matter as much. You have a 1400 departure from LAX to Rome via Stockhom. It turns out the fare in euros (the currency I paid in) is actually less now for the LAX to Rome via Stockhom than what I paid so I am not asking for a more expensive flight (it is one euro less)(I cked this yestereday), just asking, given the issues that Norwegian had with its website, that you allow me to change without the change fee.

thank you

15. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

Let us know what happens, but if they respond negatively, I would shorten the letter by half before sending it to executives. Use bullet points and facts only.

Good luck and I hope they do the right thing.

jsn55 and Realitoes like this.
  16. steve s

I shortened it to just about 8 sentences and sent it in--lets see what happens. Thanks

jsn55 and Neil like this.
  17. Denisoftus

We are in the similar situation. Being kicked out from our Row 6 and placed to row 15 after flight change (time of departure changed). Did you get anything back from executives? Customer service absolutely helpless, just telling they apologise for inconvenience. How great is it to book 12 months in advance just to learn you will be moved our of your seats without even any warning.

18. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

Booking that early unfortunately usually begs for some kind of change to your flights. We just had honeymooners who's flights changed 9 times when they booked them 11 months ahead of time.

But your seat assignments are never guaranteed so sometimes booking early is a curse. (Especially with pricing). In fact, the SCHEDULES themselves are not guaranteed either.

Airlines change aircraft type all the time. Some folks get booted off if there aren't enough seats so things can be worse.

Here are your flyer rights according to the DOT and seating is mentioned. No guarantees unfortunately.

It could be worse- you could be that mother who just flew United and was forced to put her 2 year old (who she paid the airline for a seat) on her lap because they sold the seat twice. THAT is illegal according to DOT rules- the child must have a seat over age 2. That is going to get the airline in hot water.

https://www.transportation.gov/airconsumer/fly-rights

Denisoftus likes this.
  19. Denisoftus

It can get worse, considering we have to book all other (2) connecting flights and even 3 hours change will screw it, so fingers crossed they won't change again.

But if we book close to the departure we will be paying higher fees and won't be able to pay and select a good seats anyway, so it is a gamble isn't it?

20. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

Yes it is. Especially with connections the earlier the better and you are very wise to keep an eye in this. So if thevseats change, that's the least of your issues as long as you are on the plane.

As long as all of your flights are on one PNR, and you have left adequate time between connections (at least 90 to 120 minutes) if one of them changes affecting the others the airline has to allow you to change the rest as well.

If they are on separate tickets, they don't.