Overcharge and no resolution

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 6, 2018
We bought two direct flights for 4/13/18, 6 weeks out. Flight chosen was $386 each, 2 for $772. Travelocity/Expedia charged us $1245 instead, plus tax and fees. No notice of this overcharge in initial itinerary, or for several days. Many phone calls and emails—they state their “screenshot” justifies extra hundreds of dollars. Clearly, no economy fare Columbus to Denver on United on March 1 was $622.50 We would still like to make the trip and pay the correct amounts—the amounts we selected on the website. Their gradt total of $1,688 never appeared on any screen and I certainly would not have accepted that. Plus, the itinerary listed $,1688 with no taxes or fees, but information representatives have lists $145 in taxes and fees. Something is mixed up! We are in our mid-70s and feel this might be our last chance to fly to see our family. We have offered to pay the correct amount. Time is short because the family event is on April 13th. Dispute department said they may cancel our trip.

What's your desired resolution? We would like the company representative tosee that the ticket cost charged was wrong. Just delete the extra $490, agree on the total that we initially booked for and send us a confirmation via email. Time is short. We are not cancelling and we want to pay the amount we selected.

Apr 6, 2018
Can you post a copy of the itinerary with your name and address and all personal information crossed out. I am having a hard time figuring this out,
Can you post a copy of the itinerary with your name and address and all personal information crossed out. I am having a hard time figuring this out,
I am not printer-savvy enough to post a copy of the itinerary. it boils down to: I bought two round-trip tickets for $386 each equalling $772. They charged us $1245 plus tax instead.

Apr 6, 2018
OK I am attempting to attach a copy of the itinerary. This was not sent to me until several days after the booking.
I am not printer-savvy enough to post a copy of the itinerary. it boils down to: I bought two round-trip tickets for $386 each equalling $772. They charged us $1245 plus tax instead.

Itinerary # 7333589976834​

Important Information
Remember to bring your itinerary and government-issued photo ID for airport check-in and security

Price Summary
Roundtrip Flight
Rental Car
Cancellation Plan
Total
$1,688.64
Subtotal
$1,688.64
Taxes & Fees
$0.00

Columbus (CMH) → Denver (DEN)
Apr 13, 2018 - Apr 16, 2018 , 2 round trip tickets

CONFIRMED
Your reservation is booked and confirmed. There is no need to call us to reconfirm this reservation.
Traveler Information
=

Adult
No frequent flyer details provided
===============
No frequent flyer details provided
* Seat assignments, special meals, frequent flyer point awards and special assistance requests should be confirmed directly with the airline.

Apr 13, 2018 - Departure Nonstop
Total travel time: 3 h 10 m​
Special Fare

Columbus
Denver
3 h 10 m​
CMH 9:06am
DEN 10:16am

United 349
Economy / Coach (W) | Confirm seats with the airline*
Apr 16, 2018 - Return Nonstop
Total travel time: 2 h 50 m​
Special Fare

Denver
Columbus
2 h 50 m​
DEN 10:10am
CMH 3:00pm

United 5941 Operated by /SKYWEST DBA UNITED EXPRESS
Economy / Coach (U) | Confirm seats with the airline*

Feb 21, 2018
I wonder if it's possible that the $386 price is the round-trip cost based only on the outbound flight you chose. Then, the price jumped up because of the inbound.

I just did a dummy booking for the exact flights you chose. When selecting the flight from CMH to Denver, that 9:06am departure shows a fare of $451 Round Trip (a higher price than yours, but then again we're less than a week from departure so the price naturally rises)...but that assumes that you choose a return in the identical fare bucket. Once I choose the 9:06 am outbound flight the inbound options pop up...and the 10:10 am out of Denver jumps the round trip price to $611, or $1222 for two tickets.

To stay with the $451 round trip I'd have to select the flight that leaves at 5:55pm

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I wonder if it's possible that the $386 price is the round-trip cost based only on the outbound flight you chose. Then, the price jumped up because of the inbound.

I just did a dummy booking for the exact flights you chose. When selecting the flight from CMH to Denver, that 9:06am departure shows a fare of $451 Round Trip (a higher price than yours, but then again we're less than a week from departure so the price naturally rises)...but that assumes that you choose a return in the identical fare bucket. Once I choose the 9:06 am outbound flight the inbound options pop up...and the 10:10 am out of Denver jumps the round trip price to $611, or $1222 for two tickets.

To stay with the $451 round trip I'd have to select the flight that leaves at 5:55pm
This can definitely be what happened.

Are you sure you didn’t get an immediate email after you booked? I have never heard it taking several days to get a confirmation.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I recreated your flights and I think you may have misunderstood how the pricing worked.

I chose the same flights 6 weeks in advance. The outgoing flight showed as $389 (or in your case $386) . However, the return flight leaving at 10:10 AM said +329. That means you didn’t chose the return flight that was priced at the $389 rt. You chose a flight that was an additional $329 which made the cost of a ticket in these days $718 pp. Two tickets with the flights you chose at least in today’s money comes to over $1400. There is a few hundred dollar difference but that is essentially what it looks like happened with your tickets.

My next post shows the one flight that was available to book at the $389 round trip was on Frontier st a different time. Not the United flight got you chose.

Attachments

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If you look at this printout if the return flights to choose from, you would have had to choose the flight that says +0 to have a $389 round trip ticket.

In this screen shot- only the Frontier return flight says 0, which gives you a $389 rt
5DA62938-CB7C-42E6-B70A-9DB2CA59E8BB.jpeg

See the total for two tickets if you chose the Frontier flight that says +0- it is the $389 pp.

If they seems that you didn’t understand what you actually booked and what you were charged was correct for the return flight you picked.

If you want bathe $389 ticket you are going through have to call Expedia and change to the Frontier flight but you would have to cancel the tickets you have, pay a cancellation fee and then repurchase the tickets at today’s prices- which might no be much more expensive then $389.

And you won’t get a refund of the price difference - if they can do the cancel and repurchase you would only receive a credit, not cash back since you had a non refundable ticket.

Thank you for posting the ticket info so we could figure out what happened.

Attachments

Apr 6, 2018
This can definitely be what happened.

Are you sure you didn’t get an immediate email after you booked? I have never heard it taking several days to get a confirmation.
Wow, fare buckets???!!!?? I never heard of this. When it says Round trip the inexperienced flyer thinks that means...round trip. Be that as it may, the site did not give the cost of the return flight, no breakdown before the total and the total of $1,688 never appeared or I would have clicked off immediately. Any advice now that we are 6 days out? And thank you for the astounding information.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Yes, fare buckets. The internet makes it quite easy to book your own travel but this is why travel agents still exist.

Honestly- I don’t think there is anything you can do except see if this is what actually happened and use it as a learning experience unless it was an Expedia error. If it is not an Expedia error- unfortunately you chose the return flight, I’m not sure they will offer a refund because you may not have understood what happened.

You must go through Expedia because that’s where you booked, this has nothing to do with the airline. I would suggest requesting asking for a breakdown of the fare - what the outgoing price was and what the return price was- and see if that is indeed what happened.

Your only other option is to see if you can change the return flight to a less expensive one BUT- with 6 days out, you would have to cancel this ticket, have a cancellation penalty applied and buy a new one. At this late date- I am willing to bet if flights are available, the tickets are even more expensive than what you are paying now.

Sep 19, 2015
The total costs are on the screen before entering the passenger information.

I think the website is badly done and not clear at all.

Travelocity and Expedia are happy to book two one way tickets — ie United out and Frontier back yet do not explicitly point out that there will be two cancellation fees if the trip can not be taken.

A fare may look low on Frontier but they charge for carry one bags and even water.

Attachments

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
The total costs are on the screen before entering the passenger information.

I think the website is badly done and not clear at all.

Travelocity and Expedia are happy to book two one way tickets — ie United out and Frontier back yet do not explicitly point out that there will be two cancellation fees if the trip can not be taken.

A fare may look low on Frontier but they charge for carry one bags and even water.
I agree that the websites are poorly done- if you don’t understand what that + means when you are looking at the return, it is very easy for them his to happen.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Sandra, I am so sorry you got caught in this online booking service runaround. I would like to see all of these OBS websites covered with the caveat: THE INTERNET IS NOT YOUR FRIEND. They only care about creating revenue, there's no regard for the client. They just "take orders". Always book direct with airlines and hotels. Always. At least now you know the explanation and can move on; my colleagues are really good at this stuff. So you can just go enjoy your trip.

Jun 27, 2017
Neil, can you answer a few questions for my own education?

The itinerary says, "Remember to bring your itinerary and government-issued photo ID for airport check-in and security."
Does this mean that Sandra can't print boarding passes from home 24 hours prior and she must get them at the Check-In Counter?
Will their seats on both flights be assigned at the Check-In Counter or by the Gate Agent?
Also, what's the difference between Economy/Coach (W) - the CMH-DEN outgoing flight and Economy/Coach (U) - the DEN-CMH return flight?
Are these the type of flights where you can't bring any carry-on luggage on board?

I tried to find this info at United, but couldn't. The multiple letter codes are confusing. We always book directly with the airline. And we've always received a confirmation immediately after our credit card is changed. Not sure about the OTAs and how quickly they send confirms.

Thanks in advance!

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Neil, can you answer a few questions for my own education?

The itinerary says, "Remember to bring your itinerary and government-issued photo ID for airport check-in and security."
Does this mean that Sandra can't print boarding passes from home 24 hours prior and she must get them at the Check-In Counter?
Will their seats on both flights be assigned at the Check-In Counter or by the Gate Agent?
Also, what's the difference between Economy/Coach (W) - the CMH-DEN outgoing flight and Economy/Coach (U) - the DEN-CMH return flight?
Are these the type of flights where you can't bring any carry-on luggage on board?

I tried to find this info at United, but couldn't. The multiple letter codes are confusing. We always book directly with the airline. And we've always received a confirmation immediately after our credit card is changed. Not sure about the OTAs and how quickly they send confirms.

Thanks in advance!
“Remember to bring your itinerary and government-issued photo ID for airport check-in and security.”

No you can still do your online check in 24 hours before. You still need to bring your identification when you check in, whether you printed a boarding pass or not. You won’t get through security or be able to drop your bags without that.

Here is a list of United’s fare codes- they have more to do with earning mileage.

https://cwsi.net/m/united.htm

Basic economy is code N.