Orbitz refund two full and one partial for a group of three. Why?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 3, 2015
Last year I booked tickets for three of my family (my husband, my son and me) through Orbitz from San Francisco to Galapagos Islands. The travel agent is Orbitz, the airline is LAN Airline, and the flight is operated by American Airline. Our flight was from San Francisco to Miami on December 19, 2014 at 23:50pm, then Dec. 20 Miami to Guayaquil at 6:30pm,and then Dec.21 from Guayaquil to Santa Cruz Island. But first flight from SFO to Miami was delayed around 12 hrs so we were not able to catch up the next flight from Miami to Guayaquil. The worse thing was the American Airline was not able to find three seats for us from Miami to Guayaquil until after Christmas which is 5 days later. So my husband called Orbit, carrier LAN airline and AA to cancel all our trip and was told by them tickets were cancelled. AA issued a Property Irregularity Receipt under my name b/c our luggage was not able to be unloaded from the flight. (It was delivered to my house on Christmas Eve). After we got home, we asked for refunds from Orbitz. Orbitz gave my son and me full refund which is good. But my husband was only got partial refund. Orbitz said my husband used partial ticket. My husband kept telling Orbitz it is not correct. He didn't use any ticket. He called AA and LAN also, was told our agent Orbitz only requested partial refund for him and the agent had the right to provide a correct information. Then my husband called Orbitz again and again, he was told this is their final decision. How come Orbitz doesn't want to do some research and correct their mistake. I kept all documents including tickets, unused boarding passes, luggage receipt letter and their refund letters including amount. I attached a file with all these information to you. Can you help me?

Last edited:
B

bodega3

Three questions.

Where these published fares? Were they based on roundtrip or priced using one way fares? Were they nonrefundable fares?

Feb 3, 2015
All three tickets are refundable. Orbitz claimed two passengers didn't use any ticket but one passenger used the first leg from San Francisco to Miami. However, we didn't use the tickets. Three of us stayed at San Francisco airport over night and returned.

B

bodega3

I need you to answer the questions. There is a reason I am asking them.

When you purchased the tickets, were they nonrefundable tickets?
Was the fare based on roundtrip or one way fares?
Was the fare a published fare or a special fare that Orbitz had with the airline?

Feb 3, 2015
1. They are refundable tickets.
2. Round trip fares.
3. On line bought from Orbitz, not special fare.
The point is Orbitz said my husband used the ticket from San Francisco to Miami. But he didn't. All our 3 family members stayed together. Orbitz did refund the rest trips Miami to Quayaquil, Quayaquil to Santa Criz, and all the tickets back to San Francisco. It doesn't make sense only use one ticket.

B

bodega3

Thank you. If Orbitz is saying the segment from SFO to MIA was used by your husband, it has to do with something AA put into his reservation and it is on AA side that is the issue, would be my guess as to what is happening.

Orbitz was the ticketing agency but they have to report all their tickets to ARC, which then reports them to the carrier. The only way Orbitz would say your husband used the first segment of his ticket, was due to something in the reservation, placed there by the carrier. Unless Orbitz issued you a special fare ticket, American will be the refunding company on your credit card statement.

At this point, since Orbitz isn't service oriented, I would be on the phone with AA and ask them what is the status of the first segment on your husband's ticket. They need to refund that portion to your credit card and explain to them that the other segments have been refunded.

Jan 8, 2015
Bodega, I'm not quite sure why it matters if the tickets were refundable or not. The airline was responsible for the delay in the flight and all the missed connections. The LW never even left the home airport.

B

bodega3

I was trying to see the type of fare to get a sense of what they had and how the pricing might have been made to possibility understand the one segment being pulled out.

Feb 3, 2015
Thanks for suggestion. We did call AA, AA said this is LAN's ticket, plese contact LAN. Then we called LAN, LAN said Orbitz provided wrong information, please contact Orbitz. We called Orbitz again, Orbitz said my husband used a ticket. We guess that night AA on site agent tried to help us find seats by using my husband' ticket and then massed up. Now none of these three companies wants to investigate it. We keep calling and calling..., no result.

B

bodega3

Orbitz should be going to bat for you on this. They could easily contact their sales rep and have this looked into. When you book with an online agency, you may not pay a service for issuing a ticket, but you also get zero service. I am so sorry you are being treated like a ping pong ball.

Feb 3, 2015
Refund updated:
Orbitz Customer Relations called us on Feb 13, 2015 and agreed to give us remaining ticket refund including all Orbitz fee . After they reviewed our case, they figured out the refund was “short” the fare difference between the child fare and the adult fare. They charged an adult price for my 15yrs old son but refunded a kid's ticket fare. They apologized their error by offering $150 Orbitz travel voucher.
Now I got all my money back. I appreciate all the help and feedback on this situation, especially Chris. He replied my emails immediately and suggested I post on this site for help. His involving accelerated Orbitz responding this time and solving the issue immediately. Thanks Lynne Ellis from Orbitz Customer Relations also.