• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

Orbitz nonrefundable airline tickets

Jan 20, 2020
My husband as a great surprise for me bought us tickets to London and Edinburgh as a Christmas gift for me (June-July '20). (I've been wanting to go for years but we've had a long spate of bad luck financially.) He somehow entered in the wrong dates and has us there in Europe for a month instead of two weeks. There is no way we can manage that, either financially or because of our dogs/cats. I have tried to get Orbitz to change either date (departing or returning) to no avail. I contacted the airline (Virgin Atlantic) but they told me they have nothing to do with tickets booked through agencies. There is no way I can afford to eat the loss and Orbitz will not even allow me to transfer the tickets. In short, they either expect me to use them as is or lose the money. I don't know what to do at this point. Thanks for any assistance you might be able to lend me.

Nov 22, 2019
You will have to pay a change fee plus the difference in price. Why can’t Orbitz change the return with a fee? They will not change the ticket at no fee but you can pay the rebooking fee. Or did he buy basic economy tickets?
If it is Economy Light (basic economy), unfortunately, there is nothing to do beside asking for a courtesy refund, but very unlikely.
If not (it is economy classic), do a research now on virgin atlantic to find when is the cheapest flight leaving and coming back at the date you want, then call Orbitz to proceed to the change at the date you want but be ready to pay a fee per ticket as well as the difference of fare.

Jan 20, 2020
You will have to pay a change fee plus the difference in price. Why can’t Orbitz change the return with a fee? They will not change the ticket at no fee but you can pay the rebooking fee. Or did he buy basic economy tickets?
I would happily pay a fee but the tickets he bought are economy and allow no changes at all. That is the problem.

Jan 20, 2020
Then the purchase had to be basic economy and unfortunately those are always nonrefundable and non- changeable.

What you can do is buy a one way ticket from wherever you would be departing from for the correct date.
Yes, I tried that. I tried both one-way and round-trip from and to just about every major European city but I can't seem to find a low-price fare. Thanks for your replies.

Sep 19, 2015
So these are basic economy tickets? I did not think Virgin had them — or are they Delta codeshares?

You can hope for a schedule or airplane change which would allow cancellation.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Yes, I tried that. I tried both one-way and round-trip from and to just about every major European city but I can't seem to find a low-price fare. Thanks for your replies.
Unfortunately, that’s your only option unless there is a substantial change to your air schedule.

We do have company contacts on top of our page- you could write to Orbitz and see if they can do anything- you have nothing to lose.

This is how to write:

https://forum.elliott.org/threads/resolving-consumer-complaints-and-developing-a-paper-trail.8903/

Reactions: VoR61
Jan 20, 2020
So these are basic economy tickets? I did not think Virgin had them — or are they Delta codeshares?

You can hope for a schedule or airplane change which would allow cancellation.
The departure is VA; the return is VA operated by Delta. Yes, the schedule change option was mentioned by Orbitz but how likely is that to happen? Even she had to admit it was a very slim chance.