Ongoing problems with Samsung Refrigerator

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jun 4, 2018
I purchased a Samsung Refrigerator (model. RF22KREDBSR ) through a promotional sale at Home Depot June 28th, 2017. (As an aside, I contacted Home Depot first and was told it wasn't there problem.)

I took possession of the unit July 29, 2017.

The refrigerator was delivered with a broken shelf. Through a couple of phone calls the broken shelf was replaced.

With in a few weeks the real problems with the unit began:

1. Ice machine made a loud pop, like a gun shot. This was mostly addressed by the Samsung repair center but it is still much louder than normal.

For the problems list below I have had Samsung repair men out numerous times only to be told these problems are considered normal. The problems are still persisting. (At one point the Samsung customer service center "escalated" the problem but I didn't hear back in the promised time. When I followed up on the phone I was told the case was closed because the problem was fixed). I opened another case but was told that the noise issues (I only identified the most frequent one) are normal.

2. The unit makes a persistent buzzing sound- like the noise a fluorescent light makes.
3. Food in the freezer gets freezer burn.
4. Ice crystals form on food in the refrigerator.

The only suggestion offered by the the Samsung appliance repair center was to turn off the “Energy Saver” function on the unit. This did not fix the issues. (For the record, I am diligent about keeping both the freezer and refrigerator from becoming over crowded).

To date all I have done is continuously contact Samsung to send a repair person out to the fix the ongoing noise and refrigeration problems. My next step is to reach out to this forum for direction on how to best address the problem with Samsung. I would like Samsung to fix the problems once and for all or take the unit back and give me a full refund for the purchase.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
It is so aggravating today to purchase large, expensive appliances that don't work. When you compose your letter, remember that the person reading it did not cause your problem and is in a position to help you. Being polite and sweet makes a lot of difference. Keep your letter concise, a list of the issues is the best practice. Tell them how much you appreciate their assistance. Based on what I've seen on this forum, it's a long slog to get these companies to step up and make things right, so don't give up.

Jun 4, 2018
Thank you for the link and providing the contact information. I will be writing a letter (using Grammarly) and sending it via FedEx ASAP. Fingers crossed. I did not purchase an extended warranty because 1. I was having problems from the beginning and was hoping to have had it resolved already (i.e. a new unit or refund) and 2. we have a service plan through Xcel Energy/Homesmart to repair the appliance after the one year warranty is up.

Here you go:

http://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/samsung/

Go to our company contacts page and read the first page on how to write and escalate to the executives (one at a time) to escalate. Did you buy an extended warranty?

Jun 4, 2018
I agree on being aggravated with malfunctioning appliances. Our old refrigerator was freezing the food and causing freezer burn but it was 15 years old, and it was as quiet as a mouse. I do not expect this from my very new, very expensive refrigerator. Last year was particularly burdensome for us because we replaced several appliances. My gut was telling me to go with the LG refrigerator but my budget only allowed for the Samsung. The LG washer, dryer and microwave we purchased have been great...

I do try to work under the principal of getting more flies with honey than vinegar. I will follow the advice from this forum and the "how to resolve a complaint" from the FAQ page.