• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

One Ocean Expeditions imploding

Nov 5, 2019
The cruise company, One Ocean Expeditions, is imploding. They have outstanding bills with vendors, dozens of unpaid employees and the two most recent Antarctic cruises have been cancelled. They closed their office in Squamish, BC and fired the employees.
I am booked on the 11/21 cruise and fully expect to hear it’s been cancelled. Fortunately I booked through AAA and I have trip insurance, so I will not lose money but plenty of other passengers will. I’m wondering how often this kind of thing happens, and what to look for when buying trip insurance to ensure coverage. Thanks.

Reactions: TropicalRichmond

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
This is rare but it happens. You’ve protected yourself the best you can By buying a policy that covers supplier bankruptcy. But the best way is to only use a credit card for payment. Never a debit card. With a cc you can file a dispute for services not delivered even if you paid a long time ago. With a debit card you don’t have the same protection.

Jan 15, 2020
I also am in the nightmare of One Ocean Expeditions.
In September 2018, I sent a deposit of $5700 CAD to One Ocean Expeditions for an Antarctica voyage that would depart in January of 2020. This past May, the company informed me the voyage was cancelled. They offered discounts on other cruises or a refund. I chose refund. They said within 90 days I would get it. For months, they kept saying the refund was coming. In November, I finally called Barclay's Master Card to see if I could get a refund. I was past their date cutoff and was denied a refund. As of a few days ago, One Ocean Expeditions has collapsed. BTW, they have been still booking voyages up until a few weeks ago. They even stranded an entire ship of passengers in Ushuaia in November. Those people has already paid $20K AND didn't make it to Antarctica! I did not have insurance, but I am hearing from the huge Facebook page on this.....that no one is getting reimbursed from their travel insurance companies. Something about re-structuring language. That might have changed now that OOE is completely out of business. This has affected clients from around the globe...Japan, UK, Australia, USA. I heard from an article written by Elliot Advocacy that the CC company should be using date of services rendered.....not when the deposit was made. Do you advocate on my behalf on something like this?

Nov 22, 2019
I think I saw somewhere but I can't recall where, that Chase Sapphire now exclude financial insolvency of the travel supplier/agency... It is good to read at all benefits every other months and write it down somewhere.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
In September 2018, I sent a deposit of $5700 CAD to One Ocean Expeditions for an Antarctica voyage that would depart in January of 2020. This past May, the company informed me the voyage was cancelled. They offered discounts on other cruises or a refund. I chose refund. They said within 90 days I would get it. For months, they kept saying the refund was coming. In November, I finally called Barclay's Master Card to see if I could get a refund. I was past their date cutoff and was denied a refund. As of a few days ago, One Ocean Expeditions has collapsed. BTW, they have been still booking voyages up until a few weeks ago. They even stranded an entire ship of passengers in Ushuaia in November. Those people has already paid $20K AND didn't make it to Antarctica! I did not have insurance, but I am hearing from the huge Facebook page on this.....that no one is getting reimbursed from their travel insurance companies. Something about re-structuring language. That might have changed now that OOE is completely out of business. This has affected clients from around the globe...Japan, UK, Australia, USA. I heard from an article written by Elliot Advocacy that the CC company should be using date of services rendered.....not when the deposit was made. Do you advocate on my behalf on something like this?
Jean, go back to your credit card company and tell them the company is insolvent. They can go make exceptions and go back even though it is past the chargeback date - please read this story:

https://www.elliott.org/blog/tour-operator-takes-money-no-refund-no-trip/

Mel65

Mar 23, 2015
You need to re-engage with your credit card company. They DO have leeway beyond their stated "60 days" etc...Perhaps if you stress that you are filing your dispute from the date of anticipated SERVICE, not from the date of PURCHASE, they will take another look at it? Good luck!!

BittyBoo

Jul 30, 2018
The cruise company, One Ocean Expeditions, is imploding. They have outstanding bills with vendors, dozens of unpaid employees and the two most recent Antarctic cruises have been cancelled. They closed their office in Squamish, BC and fired the employees.
I am booked on the 11/21 cruise and fully expect to hear it’s been cancelled. Fortunately I booked through AAA and I have trip insurance, so I will not lose money but plenty of other passengers will. I’m wondering how often this kind of thing happens, and what to look for when buying trip insurance to ensure coverage. Thanks.
So glad you bought the trip insurance. These trips seem very expensive.

Indeed, when shopping for trip insurance you need to thoroughly read the policy to understand what perils it covers and the corresponding coverage benefit. Most policies allow you to cancel within a week or so if you decide it's not right for your trip.

Reactions: VoR61
Jan 15, 2020
I have now been on the phone for an hour with Barclay's Mastercard. They are refusing this refund on all sides. They keep quoting the 60 days time limit. Now they want to connect me to the merchant phone line. That's One Ocean! One Ocean hasn't answered their phones since November. As of this week, One Ocean no longer exists.
This is so frustrating. Also, the person I'm speaking with at Barclay's has a thick accent and is very slow. I have mentioned the Fair Credit Billing Act several times. I've repeated that I never received the goods or services because the cruise that was cancelled and that date hasn't even occurred (Jan 18, 2020). I've said these things over and over......and this rep just keeps saying the 60 days have passed and there's nothing they can do. I tried to get a supervisor and was told there is not one available. I am really angry about all this.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I have now been on the phone for an hour with Barclay's Mastercard. They are refusing this refund on all sides. They keep quoting the 60 days time limit. Now they want to connect me to the merchant phone line. That's One Ocean! One Ocean hasn't answered their phones since November. As of this week, One Ocean no longer exists.
This is so frustrating. Also, the person I'm speaking with at Barclay's has a thick accent and is very slow. I have mentioned the Fair Credit Billing Act several times. I've repeated that I never received the goods or services because the cruise that was cancelled and that date hasn't even occurred (Jan 18, 2020). I've said these things over and over......and this rep just keeps saying the 60 days have passed and there's nothing they can do. I tried to get a supervisor and was told there is not one available. I am really angry about all this.
File a complaint with the CFPB:
https://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/

Also, try and use our company contacts for Barclays-

https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/barclaycard-us/

If any are out of date, report here:

https://www.elliott.org/add-a-company/

Aug 15, 2019
I filed a complaint last year with CFPB about an issue I had with a Citibank credit card. I found the CFPB was completely useless. All they did was go back to Citibank and made them respond to my complaint within a certain number of days. So Citibank just sent me the same letter that they sent me originally telling me why they were not going to reimburse me for the fraud on the credit card. The end. CFPB just closed my complaint as completed and did nothing else. It was quite obvious to me that the CFPB is there for the banks and corporations - not the consumers.

Reactions: Jean Hall
Jun 24, 2019
As I read the FCBA, one must complain within 2 billing cycles of the claimed billing error. In my experience, credit card companies who make refunds to consumers outside of that time do so because they have a means of collecting from the merchant.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Jean, I can empathize ... we were booked on a cruise years ago when the company went out of business months after I made the the final payment and it was awful. Back then it about $6500. American Express came to me and gave me a credit for the entire amount, I was floored. You better believe that I was a loyal AmEx customer for 30 years ... until they started falling apart many months ago.

But I digress ... I think you can make this right but it will take a huge amount of patience and effort and a complete lack of anger and frustration. Not an easy task! My colleagues have given you a great deal of ammunition and I believe you will prevail with Barclays. I've had some experience with the reps who obviously can't grasp even a simple situation and have such thick accents that understanding them is an awful chore. Like everyone else, I get so angry, but that is not an option here. Be above it all, put your mind into a position of "educating these Barclay people" instead of letting them get to you. Frankly, I've not heard a single positive thing about Barclay's customer service. So make yourself a checklist, grit your teeth, and get started. Best of luck, and please let us know what transpires.

Reactions: Jean Hall
Jan 15, 2020
Thanks to all you for the support. This is a huge amount of money for me......for the trip of a lifetime to Antarctica. The full amount would have been close to $20k.......so at least I'm only losing $5700 CAD. So many people have lost the full amount. Many were stranded on an impounded ship in Ushuaia in November as the company started to implode. I guess I'm lucky?

I just spent an hour writing to the contacts that this group suggested, who are higher ups. I included all the emails from One Ocean over 8 months saying the refund was coming. Again, thanks for all the good advice.

Reactions: Marjorie Pinard

BittyBoo

Jul 30, 2018
Thanks to all you for the support. This is a huge amount of money for me......for the trip of a lifetime to Antarctica. The full amount would have been close to $20k.......so at least I'm only losing $5700 CAD. So many people have lost the full amount. Many were stranded on an impounded ship in Ushuaia in November as the company started to implode. I guess I'm lucky?

I just spent an hour writing to the contacts that this group suggested, who are higher ups. I included all the emails from One Ocean over 8 months saying the refund was coming. Again, thanks for all the good advice.
Did you write to them all at once? If you write all the contacts simultaneously you risk your letter going into a spam folder. Start with the first contact and wait a week before moving to the next. We don't recommend writing to the CEO or last contact listed first because if this person says no, there is no one else to appeal to. No employee will override the decision of a CEO.

Reactions: justlisa and VoR61

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Reactions: Marjorie Pinard
Jun 24, 2019
What incredible news! You're a gem, SoCal. This thread is a really good example of the importance of using a good travel agent. The TA would have known about this in a day or two and saved Jean a little grief.
When our second poster receives her refund and the check clears I'll be happy.

If the cruise operator is still operating there are three paths. These paths are not exclusive; in other words, our poster may (and probably should) proceed on all three paths.

As to the bank, the tour operator has failed to provide the promised refund. While the billing error dispute may be outside of the 60 days, the tour operator may wish to keep its privileges to take MasterCard and Visa. Thus, I would continue to press the bank, which may have some leverage through the MasterCard or Visa association. Companies with excessive complaints (i.e., risks) get dropped.)

While I have my doubts as to the current efficacy of the CFPB, our second poster may be Canadian. Thus, I would suggest complaining to the appropriate Canadian government authorities, especially because it appears the tour operator operates in Canada. Moreover, if our poster's Barclay's account is through a Canadian bank, the appropriate Canadian authorities may be able to persuade Barclay's to get you the refund. This path may (and probably should) involve separate letters to Canadian banking authorities (re Barclay's) and to whoever licenses the tour operator in Canada, or, if there is no such licensing authority, the central legal authority, such as a department of justice or the equivalent of our FTC.

Separately, if the tour operator is back in business, once cash flow develops, maybe it will pay. Alternatively, as unsatisfactory a solution as this may be, maybe the tour operator will offer a free package elsewhere which our poster can take.