1. Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
    Dismiss Notice

OK bad weather happens, but what is the responsibility of the airline

Discussion in 'About us' started by fishyissues, Feb 24, 2016.

1. fishyissues

9 PM before a United flight scheduled to leave the next am to DC from Tuscon via Houston cancelled its flight from Houston to DC due to the snow storm. It noted that one could reschedule for no fee.I needed to be back in DC that next day. I tried, I called, I was on the website, till 3 am attempting to change my flight. No response of course by phone, and the website insisted on charging well over $1000 for a flight that would had originally cost somewhere about $200, I gave up. I cancelled my flight from Tucson and booked one for over $500 on SW leaving about the same time the United flight would have. There were no flight issues, but my wallet hurt.

Many letters to United finally netted me $100 voucher (ouch). I kept asking however, what might I have done not to have forefitted the cost of my flight and incurred greater expenses. I have never received a response. PLEASE review what the best strategy might be in such a situation if you are not physically at the airport....

2. Realitoes

Normally in these situations you can ask to be re-booked on the next available United flight or for a refund of your ticket (or residue amount if partially used). You would have to make this change via the phone or at the airport so the change can be made to your existing ticket.

Since you purchased a flight on another airline, did you ask United for a refund of your original flight that was cancelled?

Neil likes this.
  3. Realitoes

fishyissues, you can reply to this thread instead of my profile. There are many experts on here who can jump in to provide advice or assistance.

Understand you asked for a refund, but did you actually request it from their refund site, or did you just send a letter/email asking for a refund. If you didn't use the United Refund site, I recommend attempting that first. If you have already tried and that didn't work, then I recommend you email United using the Company Contacts provided by this site starting with the primary executive contact. Keep your email polite and concise, as the person reading it did not cause the issue, but can very well help you. Give them a week to provide a response before moving up the chain to the next one.

Best of luck & please come back to let us know how it turned out.

4. Joe Farrell

UA tariffs allow you to rebook a weather cancelled flight for free - using any available flight - period. Class of service booked must be the same but the booking code is irrelevant. If you find a seat on a flight during the days that you can rebook for free - you get he seat.

If United failed to let you do so - they have breached their contract.

You are entitled not to a $100 voucher, but to the difference in fare between what you paid to Southwest and what you paid to United. This means you paid $500 - United must refund you the $200 you paid, plus $300 for breach of contract.

The only fly in the ointment is proving that you could not find a free flight - meaning they were charging you $1000 for a $200 flight credit. Were you looking for new flights? Or had you logged in and were pursuing reaccommodation under your existing reservation? If you screwed up the process - then UA could have had flights available but it was user error trying to fix it -

Which circles back to how do you prove you could not get a rescheduled flight? You need screen captures showing you trying to rebook and being charged.

Your cell phone will have a record of how long a call lasted -

So - tips here include:

a) if you try to rebook on the internet and are not successful, then you need proof - screen captures of the booking page showing the repeated attempt by UA to charge you

b) USE A CELL PHONE to call the 800# because your cell phone will have a record of your hold time - one is really not required to hold more than 30 min -

Then - once you have proof - you then buy your replacement ticket and file a claim with AA for the full refund [$200] and the $300 because they breached their contract by not making a free reaccommodation available - you are required to take 'reasonable steps' to avoid collecting damagesfrom a contract violation - you are not required to remain on the phone for hours - the party breaching needs to make reasonable accommodations and have staff available to not have extraordinary wait times.

AAGK likes this.
  5. jsn55

Staff Member Advocate

Excellent reminder of the best action to take in this situation, Joe. Thanks for posting this.

AAGK likes this.
  6. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

The problem here is that the airline must be the one to re-book you so you aren't charged. As much as it's a pain in the neck, it is going to be difficult to get anything from them because you didn't let them rebook you.

I have been on hold for an hour or so trying to rebook a client when the weather is bad but I never had them not pick up. The best action is to wait online to be rebooked while on the phone with the airline to see which one you get through first. Or to use a real travel agent (not an OTA) who can rebook you while you are on the line.