Novice with miles.

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 15, 2017
Absolute skymiles novice here with questions. Please excuse my ignorance and inexperience. Don't assume you are insulting my intelligence by stating the obvious, I appreciate any information.
  • Need to fly to San Juan PR (business and a little tourist maybe) this summer. Travel budget is tight and uncertain (isn't everyone's)
  • Conference at convention center
  • I read that it's like a US state, but is it?
  • My last email skymiles statement shows 63000+ total miles.
  • Do I need special kind of miles or just pain total miles?
  • Miles trips show cheapest at 44,000. Is that my kind of miles?
  • What glitches or traps do I need to look out for?
Thanks

Apr 10, 2017
You have 63,000 Delta SkyMiles? Is the cheapest mileage award ticket a Basic Economy ticket or Main Cabin? Be aware of the restrictions associated with Basic Economy--no roller bag carryon allowed, inability to select seat, etc. You don't need a passport to go to Puerto Rico as it's a U.S. territory (although it's never a bad idea to have one just in case....you never know what can happen with air travel). You won't need Medallion Miles to book the ticket, just regular ones will work. Medallion miles aren't used to book award tickets as they are instead used to award Medallion status (Silver, Gold, Platinum, Diamond, 360).

Did you happen to accumulate those miles from a co-branded Delta American Express card? If so, which one? If it's their new Blue card you won't have priority boarding or a free checked bag.

johnbaker

Verified Member
Oct 2, 2014
Absolute skymiles novice here with questions. Please excuse my ignorance and inexperience. Don't assume you are insulting my intelligence by stating the obvious, I appreciate any information.
  • Need to fly to San Juan PR (business and a little tourist maybe) this summer. Travel budget is tight and uncertain (isn't everyone's)
  • Conference at convention center
  • I read that it's like a US state, but is it?
  • My last email skymiles statement shows 63000+ total miles.
  • Do I need special kind of miles or just pain total miles?
  • Miles trips show cheapest at 44,000. Is that my kind of miles?
  • What glitches or traps do I need to look out for?
Thanks
No worries. We were all novices at one point!

PR is a US territory. For the purposes of this trip, its like going to Washington DC.
For an award ticket you just need plain old miles so you should have enough.
DL award tickets are only for Main Cabin so no need to worry about the Basic Economy. Edit: Should have said Main Cabin and above!

MY hint when it come to award miles... Its like most travel. Find the flights that you're willing to pay for, pay and then walk away. You'll kill yourself trying to time things or see a drop etc.

Enjoy PR!

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2017
Jsn,
I use a Delta Gold AmEx card.
Be sure to pay any ticket fees with this card and you and up to 8 travel companions will each get 1 free checked bag (up to 50 lbs.) and priority boarding.

My husband and I have had the Delta cards for years and have been pleased with the benefits.