Not the HYATT I grew up with

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 20, 2018
Feb 9th and 10th my son and I stayed at the Hyatt Fort Wayne. The outside of the hotel has tons of parking, is located conveniently and looks very appealing from the outside. Our check in went quickly. I had questions about area restaurants and activities but the employees just handed me a map of the area and told me to google it. Upon entering the hotel we noticed that there was a strange smell. It was a cross between Old Spice After Shave and skunk. I thought it would dissipate but actually was worse in the hallway going toward our room. I was glad that I had not brought my asthmatic daughter because she would have been triggered by the smell. The smell was so bad that i had a headache as a result of it. Our room was spacious, but very broken down upon closer look. The small refrigerator section was nice but barely cold. We kept water in it and it was not much cooler than room temperature. The sofa in the "lounging" area should have been replaced many years ago. It had stains on it and it felt like hundreds of kids had been jumping on it throughout the years. Upon going to bed I pulled back the blanket and noticed a large number of strands of hair on the sheets. This was not just one or two strands, it was significant. There was also a ball of hair on the floor. I called down to the front desk three times but no one answered. I finally called the reservation number and they put me through to the front desk. The lady at the desk told me that she was "busy" and that is why she didn't take my call. She did send up someone from maintenance (not housekeeping) to bring me new sheets. He handed them to me at the door about 30 minutes after I spoke with the front desk employee. I looked at him and told him that I was not changing the linens on the bed. He begrudgingly did. He took out the 3 pillows and told me that he would return with 3 new ones. He came back around 10 minutes later and handed them to me. I am not convinced that they were changed out because one of the three still had hair on it. I just put that in the closet. The bathroom was another issue. We were on the fourth floor and there was no hot water at all. It took forever for it to even warm up to "warm" let alone hot. The plumbing for the toilet was so loud that you couldn't hear the television when someone flushed the toilet. However, the most disgusting part of the bathroom was the back of the door. There were some stains of fluid left behind streaking down the door. I am not sure if it was vomit or something else. Next morning, we were gone for 7 hours and came back around 3 in the afternoon. Housekeeping still had not cleaned our room. I had to call down to get housekeeping to bring up new towels and make the beds. They never emptied the garbage or vacuumed the time we were there. The morning breakfast was ok. But, the worst part was the garbage that was piled up throughout the dining area. It didn't look like there were any employees to clean up the areas and to wipe down tables or to empty the trash bins. People were eating on top of garbage and half-eaten food from other patrons. I did contact the manager and got a general email response of thanks for letting us know so that we can make changes. However, after I did a little research, I realized that this has been an ongoing problem. This manager has either no ability or no desire to change anything. I did ask for her to call me and left my phone number but she has yet to reach out via the phone. For the few hundred dollars that I spent on two nights, I will take my money elsewhere and just know to stay away from the Hyatt since they seem to be living on an old reputation of customer service, cleanliness and a higher end name in the industry. Apparently cleanliness is no longer valued at the hotel.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Why didn’t you speak to the manager? You should have asked to be moved to another room.

Did you check TripAdvisjr before you booked? There are quite a few reviews that say the rooms were dirty and the hotel is tired.

If it were me- I would have checked out.

We have company contacts on top of our page. You might want to use them to write to the Executives and tell them about your experience . Sorry this happened to you.

Jan 6, 2015
If/when you write, as Neil suggests, bear in mind that Hyatt executives may have little control over this hotel if it is a franchise. They may be willing to offer a refund or voucher, and might be able to influence the hotel to do better, but ultimately they can't force this one to change unless it's corporately owned (unlikely I think).

I also suggest you email them a bulleted list of issues - it's easier to process ...

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Ugh, what a disappointment, just gross. If Hyatt doesn't step up to the plate, I would post a review on TripAdvisor. People should not be wasting their money on a hotel that has obviously gone off the deep end. What a nasty carbunkle on the good Hyatt name.

Feb 20, 2018
Why didn’t you speak to the manager? You should have asked to be moved to another room.

Did you check TripAdvisjr before you booked? There are quite a few reviews that say the rooms were dirty and the hotel is tired.

If it were me- I would have checked out.

We have company contacts on top of our page. You might want to use them to write to the Executives and tell them about your experience . Sorry this happened to you.
Thanks for your reply. I did ask to speak to the manager but what it came down to was that she was busy working with a group that appeared to have a conference going on. I couldn't wait around because I needed to be somewhere. The following day I tried again but there was a big ice storm and she was running behind and not available. I left my phone number and was given her email address. I did email her but she never called me. There were no other rooms available according to the front desk person because they were hosting what appeared to be a special olympics group in the hotel that had alot of families with it. $258 is not alot of money for some but for me it is over a weeks worth of work. I could not just check out and find somewhere else to stay and pay twice.

Feb 20, 2018
Ugh, what a disappointment, just gross. If Hyatt doesn't step up to the plate, I would post a review on TripAdvisor. People should not be wasting their money on a hotel that has obviously gone off the deep end. What a nasty carbunkle on the good Hyatt name.
Thank you, I think I will!

Feb 20, 2018
If/when you write, as Neil suggests, bear in mind that Hyatt executives may have little control over this hotel if it is a franchise. They may be willing to offer a refund or voucher, and might be able to influence the hotel to do better, but ultimately they can't force this one to change unless it's corporately owned (unlikely I think).

I also suggest you email them a bulleted list of issues - it's easier to process ...
Great suggestions, I will do that.