..Not-so-Merry Christmas! Thanks Target

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Dec 24, 2017
Los Angeles
On December 23, 2017, I was told that my gift card had a zero balance, when the only time I had used my gift card previously, a purchase of only $2.16 for clear band-aids were made. I called the Target helpline six times to report my zero balance on my card as being fraud and that $97.84 should be the correct balance. I have not been helped and instead have been given the run around by different operators who can barely speak english. What can be done about this injustice? Can I re-issued this stolen balance? Whatever happened to customer satisfaction?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Where did you get this gift card? From a third party website?

If you did not buy the card directly from Target - someone else had the code on the back of the card and used it. If you read our threads on Target gift cards - every single problem with a gift card was due to where the card came from. None were purchased directly from Target. Most were from third party sites, some were paid with funny money, some were roommates playing each other - but not a single one was ever purchased at Target.

We also haven't successfully been able to help with gift card problems due to this. Target will not answer our queries for security reasons.

Mar 25, 2015
cali
I got fired from Target this year, so I'm going to speak freely.
They do not keep anything in a database. We cannot look up gift card histories. (only the current balance.)

Do you have a receipt from when you bought the band-aids? If so there will be at the bottom, a "balance remaining" number. That number, plus that date are your ONLY proof.

If you do not have the receipt then you have lost $97.

Ask me how many times, as a cashier I have had someone hand me a gift card, I zap the card and ask "So how will you be paying the rest?"

And the customer looks at me like I asked for their immortal soul. "But this had 100, 25, 50, etc!"
And every single time I send them to customer service and EVERYTIME customer service sends them back with their tail between their legs.

Target does NOT care. They will NOT do you any favors if they can help it. (and god forbid if you're an employee who tries to help a customer- you will be dealt with severely.)

Boycott Target, if at all possible. They don't deserve any more of your time or money.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Chris did a story on this in the blog - he had it happen to him.

One thing I can tell you from experience is that some of these gift cards purchased at retailers
like CVS ir Walgreens, have exposed PIN numbers in them instead of the ones you must scratch off. That leaves these very vulnerable to fraud - store employees or even shippers can keep track of these and if they are dishonest- have a huge racket going by redeeming these or selling the numbers.

Chris’s story is interesting because it also involved an Amazon gift card from a third party:

http://www.elliott.org/blog/gift-cards-keep-disappearing-2/

Dec 24, 2017
Los Angeles
Where did you get this gift card? From a third party website?

If you did not buy the card directly from Target - someone else had the code on the back of the card and used it. If you read our threads on Target gift cards - every single problem with a gift card was due to where the card came from. None were purchased directly from Target. Most were from third party sites, some were paid with funny money, some were roommates playing each other - but not a single one was ever purchased at Target.

We also haven't successfully been able to help with gift card problems due to this. Target will not answer our queries for security reasons.
Thanks Neil for the information... I still find it rather perplexing that when I first used the gift card it was accurate, I wait again closer to the holidays and I get screwed over with a zero balance. The card was given to me as a gift, so I don't know the purchase history, but i think realistically a store employee took my card information and committed some kind of fraudulent purchases, thus, the zero balance

Dec 24, 2017
Los Angeles
I got fired from Target this year, so I'm going to speak freely.
They do not keep anything in a database. We cannot look up gift card histories. (only the current balance.)

Do you have a receipt from when you bought the band-aids? If so there will be at the bottom, a "balance remaining" number. That number, plus that date are your ONLY proof.

If you do not have the receipt then you have lost $97.

Ask me how many times, as a cashier I have had someone hand me a gift card, I zap the card and ask "So how will you be paying the rest?"

And the customer looks at me like I asked for their immortal soul. "But this had 100, 25, 50, etc!"
And every single time I send them to customer service and EVERYTIME customer service sends them back with their tail between their legs.

Target does NOT care. They will NOT do you any favors if they can help it. (and god forbid if you're an employee who tries to help a customer- you will be dealt with severely.)

Boycott Target, if at all possible. They don't deserve any more of your time or money.
So Dourdan......if I'm able to produce the receipt stating a balance of $97, would I be able for reimbursement!? thanks again for your honesty and advice

Dec 24, 2017
Los Angeles
On December 23, 2017, I was told that my gift card had a zero balance, when the only time I had used my gift card previously, a purchase of only $2.16 for clear band-aids were made. I called the Target helpline six times to report my zero balance on my card as being fraud and that $97.84 should be the correct balance. I have not been helped and instead have been given the run around by different operators who can barely speak english. What can be done about this injustice? Can I re-issued this stolen balance? Whatever happened to customer satisfaction?
.... I also want to mention that when I did talk to these operators on the Target helpline, they mentioned that a purchase was made at a Target store in Norwalk, California that I'm unfamiliar with, and I replied as stated that this was a fraudulent transaction. Nonetheless, the run-around continued for the next 2 days consisting of 6 different calls that netted no results or resolution.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Thanks Neil for the information... I still find it rather perplexing that when I first used the gift card it was accurate, I wait again closer to the holidays and I get screwed over with a zero balance. The card was given to me as a gift, so I don't know the purchase history, but i think realistically a store employee took my card information and committed some kind of fraudulent purchases, thus, the zero balance
You should go back to the friend that gave it to you and tell them what happened. Maybe they bought it from a third party. Some companies that sell these give you a warranty - if you use the card within a certain time frame, like 45 days- they warrant the sale.