Not Honoring the Best Rate Guarantee

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
It might not be a bad idea to ask them to look at the wording to clarify what exactly the best available rate is- is it without any package, is it non refundable? If they put it in terms the public can actually understand instead of guess at maybe they would get less claims that they have to refuse.
But what, praytell, would be the FUN in that?

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I called the hotel property directly a few hours ago, I asked them about the room being free, and they had no idea what I was talking about. I politely asked them to send me documentation of their matching the rate, and they quickly sent it to me.
A few hours later they called me back (voicemail again), they looked into it, sent it to escalation and they are giving me the free night!! They even sent me the documentation saying as much!!

Obviously I'm not going to pursue this further.

But just to share the following, hours AFTER hearing that I got the room for free, the BRG helpdesk dest sent me the following email:

Thank you for your email. We appreciate the opportunity to assist you.

As per the Terms and Conditions: Book. Complete a valid room booking with the lowest available price (room rate) on any IHG website for any IHG branded hotel using the “Best Available Rate Search.” A “valid room booking” means a complete booking with a valid form of payment. Please note that the IHG Best Price Guarantee does not apply to Kimpton® Hotels bookings. Kimpton® Hotels and Restaurants offers its own Best Rate Guarantee with distinct terms when you book directly on KimptonHotels.com. The Best Price Guarantee is not applicable to hotels in Mainland China, Macau, Hong Kong and Taiwan.

Please be advised that booking the best available rates is one of the initial requirements of the Guarantee. The reservation must be booked under the best available rate, regardless of the package inclusion, before we can proceed with the verification of the competing website. In your case, we have verified that you did not booked the best available rate since there is a lower rate offered on the IHG website which is YOUR RATE by IHG Rewards Club. The Clause 7 in the Terms and Conditions will only be applicable once you met the initial requirements. Thus, your claim will remain invalid for the Guarantee.

Moving forward, we have been informed by the hotel that they already matched your rate to the lower rate you found inclusive of Breakfast. Please know that it is the hotel’s discretion and our decision will remain the same.

Should you have questions, please let us know.

Sincerely,

Mayette Nicolas
Best Price Guarantee Helpdesk
IHG

The issue here is that I DID BOOK THAT RATE, they keep coming back with bogus, non existent reasons to deny.
Here is a screenshot of the reservation, with private stuff blocked out: http://img.techpowerup.org/170403/res-screenshot427.png

Like I said, I am not going to pursue this any further, as I have already received what I am requesting. But something here just isn't Kosher.
It is one thing to make very difficult rules as per the terms and conditions (as is their right), it is another thing to change the rules in the middle of the game, and quote non-existent rules.
Jay, I've had a loyalty account with Hilton longer than IHG ... Hilton rarely jerks their people around and they have a wide range of hotels in price and luxe. You get their top status with an affinity American Express, it's quite valuable. If it weren't for a certain IHG property I use (and love) at Heathrow, I might just swing all my biz to Hilton.

Mar 27, 2017
Hi just received the following email due to my correspondence with the people on the executive contact lists.
Like I said, I already got my free night, so I won't pursue this further, nevertheless, I figured I should share this with you.

Hi,

I understand the process can be confusing.

In order to a claim to qualify, all conditions must be met. You did book YOUR RATE, however, including breakfast in the rate is what made it not qualifying as a lower rate was available with breakfast not included.

You are also correct on the terms & conditions; the lowest rate must be booked in order for a claim to be valid, even if the rate is non-refundable.

I hope this helps to clarify. Have a wonderful weekend.