1. Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
    Dismiss Notice

Norwegian Air

Discussion in 'Airlines' started by ukmum1, Apr 19, 2017.

1. ukmum1

Purchased round trip non-refundable tickets BOS-LHR together with Insurance recommended by Norwegian during online booking process. Additional costs for check bag/seat etc also. Few months after booking unexpectedly became pregnant with due date around time of travel and by their own quoted rules I would be ineligible to fly. Waited past 12 weeks pregnant to confirm all ok so contacted Norwegian Customer Service to request cancel and claim on insurance. Agent told me I was covered as I had letter from OB/Gyn to submit. Few days later I was contacted by Norwegian, told that was not the case as Ins did not cover 'normal' pregnancy, only serious complications. I asked to reschedule my tickets for following year but Norwegian had already cancelled my booking. They refunded taxes part of booking but I am still $690 out of pocket for ticket/baggage/Ins prem fee. I have emailed and written to both Customer Service and Chief Customer Officer but consistently get a response from Customer Service Agents and told NO, not entitled to anything and they repeatedly quote their rules and regulations regarding 'non-refundable' tickets. Norwegian staff provided me with incorrect information at time I first contacted them which prompted their cancelling my booking and they took away my option to rebook. I now have no booking and no money as a result of their actions. I have asked for management discretion in this matter to issue an airline credit to re-book in future or a refund but nothing. In their latest communication I was told that they regard this matter as closed and even if I wrote again they would not respond! I have been polite throughout all my correspondence, cited details from their own website, tried to reach higher level management to communicate with but to no avail. Am I fighting a losing battle?

2. Tricia K.

Congrats on the baby, first and foremost. The downside to getting a credit in your case is that they usually require you to use it within one year of your original booking daye, not the travel date, and I can't imagine you would want to travel with a newborn if you didn't have to. You didn't say whether you had trip insurance but if you do, see if they will cover the difference. It's also possible your credit card may offer some sort of insurance that would cover it as well. Others might be able to offer other suggestions, but if either of these options don't pan out, write, don't call, using the company contacts on this site (I'm a bit technologically challenged so I can't seem to post the link here-hopefully someone else can help with that) and ask them for a
    Credit for your ticket. Good luck.

3. JVillegirl541

Staff Member Advocate

Credit Card (the one used to book your tickets) often has Travel Insurance as one of the benefits of the card. Do call and check on that!

4. Carrie Livingston

Staff Member Advocate

@JVillegirl541 she purchased insurance. They are denying her claim since it's a normal pregnancy and the insurance would only cover a "special pregnancy." However, she can't fly because of their limitations on pregnant women and due date, I believe. The flight is longer than 4 hours and she'll be between 4 and 2 weeks of due date.

According to their website...
    Flying while pregnant
    We welcome mums-to-be on our flights! For you and your baby's safety, you may need a medical certificate to fly with us at some stages of your pregnancy. I would think they should cover this because they would deny her boarding if she tried to take the flight.

Up to 4 weeks before due date
    You can fly with us up to 4 weeks before your due date without a medical certificate

Between 4 to 2 weeks before due date
    Your flight cannot be longer than 4 hours and we require a medical certificate to confirm that you're fit to fly. If you're travelling on a return flight, please make sure the certificate covers you for the whole period. Please keep this certificate available in your hand luggage at all times during your flight/s.

Less than 2 weeks before due date
    For you and your baby's safety, you cannot fly with us if it's less than 2 weeks before your due date.

5. JVillegirl541

Staff Member Advocate

She should also see if she has additional coverage thru the Credit Card she used to book with. I understand her Purchased TI won't cover, I get that! Too bad she didn't wait to cancel the flight times likely would have changed enough to actually get a refund! :(

6. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

Appeal the claim denial. If your due date falls within the parameters Carrie posted, get a letter from your Doctor stating you will be so many weeks pregnant at time of flight and according to their own rules you can't fly.

You can't file an insurance claim without canceling your ticket first, so if you filed a claim the ticket had to be canceled first.

Are you sure they don't have a credit on the books for the rest of the amount of the flight?

This is one of the drawbacks of buying a ticket so early- first you may not get the best pricing but if you have to cancel you have already lost much of the time you would have had a credit for.

7. ukmum1

Thank you for your suggestion about an appeal. Where would you suggest I send the appeal to? I have already been told by Norwegian that they will not respond to any further contact from me. Can I bring the matter before the Ombudsman even though Norwegian have told me they have not signed on to arbitration? They also sent a link that took me to European Commission to file a consumer complaint. I am not sure about taking it this far if I don't have a valid claim hence my posting in this forum.

8. ukmum1

Thank you for your response. I will definitely check with my credit card provider.

9. ukmum1

Thank you for your response I will give definitely call my credit card provider and check with them.

10. JVillegirl541

Staff Member Advocate

11. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

If this is the first denial from them they should have a blurb about how to appeal if you think an error was made.

VoR61 likes this.
  12. KCB5

I know this is an older post but I am in a very similar position with Norwegian Air. I wonder what the resolution was for the OP.

13. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

No updates usually means they were not successful.

14. KCB5

True, I am still curious how it played out for them. Your reply was super helpful BTW....

15. ADM

ADM

Please post your situation in a separate thread and everyone here will see what we can do to help.

Neil likes this.