Norwegian Air issues with re-booking change

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 16, 2018
My wife and I had a reservation booked from Copenhagen to Ft. Lauderdale on July 5 and wanted to change it to an earlier date - June 28. We were willing to pay the re-booking fee of $130 per passenger or $260 total. My wife tried to change it online but mistakenly changed it to July 28 and called immediately to correct it. Norwegian would not make the correction unless we paid another $260. When we inquired about the policy that states we cannot correct a re-booking within 24 hours we were told that the policy is not sated online even though that is the only method you can use to change a booking. They said that the policy is given to you orally when you call. At this point we have paid $260 just to get back to our original booking. Thepolicy should be the same as original bookings - you have 24 hours to correct or change it.

Sep 19, 2015
After booking a ticket, one has 24 hours to cancel it. I do not think that the clock resets with every change on a ticket.

So Norwegian restricts passengers to one rebooking per 24 hours?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
The 24 hours only refers to the day you buy the ticket, not the date you made any changes. There is no law applying to changes made after the first 24 hours have elapsed. Why didn't she call and have them fix it?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I am reading that she did call and they would fix it for another fee. Hence, this letter to us.
She did it online first and erred in the date, from what I read. Then she called to try the have it fixed again. Had she called them to change the dates instead of doing it online, this would t have happened.

My suggestion is to use our company contacts and ask to waive the second fee. If she called right away- they shouldn’t have charged to fix it again- it’s absurd.

rlogan, when you write, nicely ask them to make an exception and waive the second $260. This airline is a discounter and fees are what they do when you use a discounter.

Read the information on our company contacts tab about how to write. You are asking for an exception that be made- that you wife immediately called when she made the mistake and that you would appreciate it if they would consider waiving the second fee.

http://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/norwegian-airlines/

Let us know how you do.

Apr 16, 2018
Neil is correct in the way it happened except that the web site states you can only change your booking online. My wife called immediately (within 15 minutes) after the mistake and they told her all they could do was to re-schedule the original date but they had to keep our $260. They wanted another $260 to complete our actual desired change in booking which we did last night. We filled out a claim form yesterday evening for the $260 and are waiting for a response.

I am not well versed in the consumer protection regulations but it seems to me that if you have 24 hours to change your mind for the original booking, then you should get the same 24 hour grace period when you change your booking, especially when you are paying $130 per ticket for the change.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I am not well versed in the consumer protection regulations but it seems to me that if you have 24 hours to change your mind for the original booking, then you should get the same 24 hour grace period when you change your booking, especially when you are paying $130 per ticket for the change.
Unfortunately, that’s not the way the law works. Only within 24 hours from making the original booking can you change it for free. (And up to a few years ago you didn’t even have that grace period). Anything after - they can do what they want. That’s not to say it’s the right thing to do and in your case- I don’t think they should have charged twice especially if they required you to do it online in the first place. This was an innocent error.

If you get a no from your form- use our company contacts and try to appeal to someone outside of customer service that might have a brain and some compassion to color outside the lines.

Just an FYI- there are exceptions to the 24 hour rule-if your flight is in less then 7 days- you don’t have the 24 hours and if you book through a travel agency- they don’t have to adhere either - it is just for directly booking with an airline.

Sep 19, 2015
Sorry rlogan54 Neil is absolutely correct; making a change is not the same as buying a ticket, and the law is very specific that one gets to cancel the ticket within 24 hours of purchase only if the trip is over 7 days in advance. And as Neil mentions if one uses one of the many online booking engines they are not required to follow the 24 hour rule, and if they do provide 24 hours, they can still charge a service fee.

Hopefully you will reach someone that will refund the fee. Question -- would you accept a voucher in the amount of the fee, keeping in mind that they are only valid for a year from issue.

The low cost carriers (and others) make a lot of money off fees, and it may be hard to get the money back. I am not trying to discourage you, just being realistic. I do think you should write, especially since the mistake was noticed in such a short time.