Nordstrom $454 gift card theft

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
You understand why walking in with tagged clothes and no receipt or credit card record to prove the purchase occurred suggests to the store these items were stolen. That is why you said you "got lucky" when you got the gift card. Your mom purchased them, why not get the receipt from her now and submit it with your correspondence, just in case. That will make your complaint much stronger.
I'm sure I've returned an item to a dept store without a receipt in the past but I can't think of a helpful example right now. I recall something about them trying to refund me the sale price rather than the price I paid instead.
Nordstrom prints a code sticker and places it on every price tag that is purchased, even on tags without a price printed (gifts for example). I would be surprised if the price tags did not have these code stickers. Regardless, the Nordstrom employee stated the items were "shipped out" which means Nordstrom knows who used the gift card by the shipping information and can follow up with their own investigation.

Aug 28, 2015
New York
Nordstrom prints a code sticker and places it on every price tag that is purchased, even on tags without a price printed (gifts for example). I would be surprised if the price tags did not have these code stickers. Regardless, the Nordstrom employee stated the items were "shipped out" which means Nordstrom knows who used the gift card by the shipping information and can follow up with their own investigation.
I just think the receipt would help. If I were the LW, I would prepare this:

1. A brief typed statement like,
On Oct. X, 2016, I returned 1 pair of jeans (cost) and 1 dress to Nordstrom (address). I purchased these items on x date (see attached receipt). In exchange, I received a gift card on x floor valued at $x (see attached gift card receipt). I secured the card in my home. On October 6, 2016, I returned to Nordstrom to use the card. I selected x items and upon check out, the cashier informed me my card had zero value. I am the only one who had access to the card and I did not purchase any item, nor share the card number with any third party.
Finish the story and take it to your bank. Have it notarized (this is free). Submit the original and keep a copy.

2. Copy of the original receipt

3. Copy of gift card (front and back)

4. Copy of return receipt

5. Copy of driver's license and most recent utility bill for proof of address.

Send to Nordstrom contact.

Aug 28, 2015
New York
It's kind of like submitting an insurance claim when you don't know what happened but you know you did everything right, you would submit a notarized document. It may add some heft to the claim, even if you don't have the receipts. The people at Nordstrom want to make sure you are the person it issued the card to, and didn't buy it/find it, etc.

Oct 7, 2016
Oh, my items that were not clothes did not have a Nordstrom price tag on them. I know Macy's does that too. I should have just kept the items.

Oct 7, 2016
Thank you. I will definitely write out a statement & get it notarized at my bank. Anything to help prove my case & that I'm not trying to scam the store. Even if I never get a reimbursement gift card, I still want Nordstrom to be aware of this situation. The access code/PIN number on the gift card is a code that is easily guessable. I looked at another gift card I have & the PIN number is like 8 digits long. I just feel like it's an inside job but it could be something else that Nordstrom should be made aware of.

May 17, 2016
No receipt, no Nordstrom accounts & paid with cash. I know this all sounds fishy, but I wouldn't have posted on here & post updates if I was not genuine & very upset about losing $454 on a gift card. I plan to pursue this through upper management, Nordstrom needs to know what happened. I filed a police report online. I have to wait a few business days to get a copy & I'm not even sure if a detective will be assigned to the case. I will be contacting the police regularly as this is a theft case & possibly an inside job by an employee. I can't imagine I'm the first & only person targeted, but maybe I just lucked out.
Before contacting the Nordstrom execs, I would let the police do their job.

May 17, 2016
It's no longer relevant how I got the gift card. Whether I paid for it myself or returned something without a receipt, the gift card balance should not have been stolen off the gift card & items shipped to another state by a thief or employee. Nordstrom items were returned & they can review the store cameras to see that I did not just steal it from the floor & return it. My mother is not in town to immediately help me with this nor is it her problem, but yes now I have to bother my mom for the receipt, after she just buried her father. I didn't join this forum to have to prove myself, I came here for help. I'm not some young scam artist. This has never happened to me before as I have received many gift cards with no problems. Thank you for all the information, I really appreciate it.
Excuse me, but this is getting to sound too defensive. And now you're adding that you can't bother Mom for the receipt because she just buried her father? You said you filed a police report...let them investigate. There's nothing else to be done.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I don't think the police are going to do a thing.

I agree with Leatanya, I would pursue this up the executive chain. Let them know you filed a police report. The store knows where those items were shipped. Keep pursuing it and let us know what happens.

May 17, 2016
Thank you. I will definitely write out a statement & get it notarized at my bank. Anything to help prove my case & that I'm not trying to scam the store. Even if I never get a reimbursement gift card, I still want Nordstrom to be aware of this situation. The access code/PIN number on the gift card is a code that is easily guessable. I looked at another gift card I have & the PIN number is like 8 digits long. I just feel like it's an inside job but it could be something else that Nordstrom should be made aware of.
A notarized statement will not help. Why won't you let the police investigate?

May 17, 2016
I don't think the police are going to do a thing.

I agree with Leatanya, I would pursue this up the executive chain. Let them know you filed a police report. The store knows where those items were shipped. Keep pursuing it and let us know what happens.
Why do you think the police won't do anything? At the very least, they'll be able to find out who purchased items using the card.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
A notarized statement will not help. Why won't you let the police investigate?
Joyce I would be going what Leatanya is doing. Having been a victim of identity theft and having to file a police report and I can tell you the police did absolutely nothing. $454 is piddly and they aren't going to devote manpower to such a small amount.

My bank required I do it and give them a file number which I did.

Leatanya, continue up the executive chain.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Leatanya, this is a truly awful situation. Personally, I believe that most of these kinds of thefts are inside jobs. It's maddening. I am happy to know that you will pursue this with all avenues ... Nordstrom needs to tighten up their internal procedures if they want to continue to be the Queen of Customer Service.

It's easy to assume that someone is scamming, and I hope you are not offended at all our questions ... please just keep the ball rolling forward. Eventually the big corporations will figure out a cure for this kind of behaviour; right now they need to have their tree shaken until they own up to responsibility.

Aug 28, 2015
New York
Obviously it's a self serving statement but it has value and directs its reader to her version of facts. Similarly,Contacting the police was not about beginning an investigation but showing she was willing to participate in a process that only an honest person would take on as filing a false police report is a crime and may be charged as a felony in New York.

Aug 28, 2015
New York
Oh, my items that were not clothes did not have a Nordstrom price tag on them. I know Macy's does that too. I should have just kept the items.
We outlined the steps we would take. They are all a pain but so is everything we advise people to do. If you mail the statement, receipts, proof of address, police report and a brief letter to Nordstrom execs as the cover sheet, you will have a nice comprehensive packet that will be difficult to refuse. If we have more ideas, we will add them.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
Joyce I would be going what Leatanya is doing. Having been a victim of identity theft and having to file a police report and I can tell you the police did absolutely nothing. $454 is piddly and they aren't going to devote manpower to such a small amount.

My bank required I do it and give them a file number which I did.

Leatanya, continue up the executive chain.
Completely agree......the police in most cities are spread too thin to be chasing theft for less than $500. In Portland, they won't even come to the scene of an accident, regardless of the severity of the damage, unless there were injuries.

Oct 7, 2016
I live in a city of over a million people & just don't see the police taking immediate swift action on a gift card. It is a case of theft, but theft under $500 is the most minor misdemeanor in my state. It's also hard to prove this case from my standpoint. I just feel like Nordstrom executives will care & want to get to the bottom of this. Thank you for all your support. I am diligently pursuing this so it doesn't happen again to someone else.

Sep 19, 2015
I have to agree that most police will not actively investigate the theft of a gift card worth less than $500; the resources are not there. Still the OP should get a copy of the report and follow the suggestions.

The theft of gift cards numbers is an ongoing issue. Nordstroms, like any large retailer, is not immune to employee related scams; there are also large theft rings of gift cards. The retailer should be told.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I have to agree that most police will not actively investigate the theft of a gift card worth less than $500; the resources are not there. Still the OP should get a copy of the report and follow the suggestions.

The theft of gift cards numbers is an ongoing issue. Nordstroms, like any large retailer, is not immune to employee related scams; there are also large theft rings of gift cards. The retailer should be told.
Exactly and if I were in Leatanyas shoes I would do the exact same thing.

Aug 28, 2015
New York
There's nothing to investigate here.
Why do you think the police won't do anything? At the very least, they'll be able to find out who purchased items using the card.
the NYPD came in 10 minutes when the doggy day care wouldn't release my dog. NY is extremely efficient for a big city, however. @Leatanya dont take any of this personally. Often we just speak generally about these situations for folks with a similar issue so don't take it as we are doubting you. We just get detailed about every nuance and hypothetical and sometimes forget there's a person reading this. Once they issued the gift card, of course it should be available to you when you are ready to use it.

Oct 7, 2016
I was able to talk on the phone with the regional VP of Nordstrom. She is going to have a colleague in the fraud dept. look into the matter and call me this week asking for the gift card number & etc. She said in her 25 years with Nordstrom she has never heard of this happening. She felt that the police probably wouldn't help me much. It really sounded like she doubted my story & I felt like some young teenager trying to scam money out of a successful company. I'm in my 40s & I'm not asking for cash, just the gift card balance to be rightfully returned to me. The gift card will be spent in their store. Didn't feel so great after the phone call. It's discouraging being doubted, but I certainly understand it. Fraud and scams do exist and it could happen anywhere to anyone.