Non-Smoking Policies and Third-Hand Smoke

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Status
Not open for further replies.

VoR61

Jan 6, 2015
the United States
With the recent (February of 2021) threads about smoking charges, I searched for definitive and authoritative sources. The technical term for the "transfer" of smoke, of which I was unaware, is "third-hand smoke".

For related information, I was able to locate this posting from the Cleveland Clinic: Third-Hand Smoke

"When you smoke in a room or car, toxic chemicals like nicotine cling to walls, clothing, upholstery and other surfaces, as well as your skin"
This and others I found validate the principle that smoke can indeed adhere to a variety of items and subsequently transfer elsewhere.

Next, I sought to better understand "non-smoking policies" and first checked Hertz: Hertz Non-Smoking Policy

How is it determined that a vehicle has been smoked in?

A Hertz employee must either:

Witness the customer smoking in a vehicle, or
Find evidence of smoking, such as ashes, cigarette butts or burns, or
*Smell smoke within the vehicle* (emphasis mine)[/size]
Checking Avis/Budget reveals similar language

I then moved on to hotels and found this FAQ from Hilton dated 2017: General Information

Q: Do you allow smoking on property? In the rooms?
A: Our property is a smoke-free hotel, therefore smoking is not allowed in the guest rooms, only in designated smoking areas.
Their answer ("designated smoking areas") creates a situation where third-hand smoke could be transferred to the room, and thus a Hilton property could not, I think, assess a fee in those instances UNLESS the franchise specifies otherwise. Marriott and Wyndham have similar language.

While this does nor cover every Car Rental Agency or Hotel Chain it is reasonable, I think to expect that "third-hand smoke" is not allowed when renting a car. As always, I think it is wise for renters and guests to review the applicable policies before booking and plan their stays/rentals accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.