Non refundable Nightmare

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 29, 2018
I have a son who has been living in China for the past six years. As a teacher’s assistant I don’t make a lot of money but I really wanted to visit him so last January I started working another job to make it happen.
I booked the flight and purchased the flight insurance but sadly I booked a non refundable hotel through Expedia and paid for it up front.
Three days after booking the room I was told I have a large mass and was referred to a Gynecologic oncologist. I have been diagnosed with Stage IV ovarian cancer. Traveling now will be impossible. I have begun chemo. That will be followed by surgery and then more chemo.
I realize I booked a non refundable room but was hoping since the reservation is still almost two months away I could convince someone with a heart and a little power to allow me to recoup at least a portion of my money. That has not been the case.
I can document and verify my health issues. I could really use some help.
I

Jan 6, 2015
You can use the Company Contacts link at the top of this page to present your request to Expedia. Be sure to read and follow the instructions at the top of the initial Company Contacts page.

In this case, I suggest you begin with the first executive on the list. Keep us posted on your progress.

Best wishes for a quick resolution to this and for a complete recovery.

Jan 29, 2018
You can use the Company Contacts link at the top of this page to present your request to Expedia. Be sure to read and follow the instructions at the top of the initial Company Contacts page.

In this case, I suggest you begin with the first executive on the list. Keep us posted on your progress.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
It’s a shame you didn’t buy insurance for the whole trip and also that you didn’t purchase directly with the hotel - you would have had more leeway appealing directly to the hotel rather than having to go through Expedia. But this is the last thing you need to deal with right now.

As Christina said, see if the card you purchased with had any insurance. Otherwise we have company contacts on top of our pages along with instructions on how to use them to write to Expedia. Use the contacts for Expedia under travel agencies as the instructions state and ask for a hardship consideration for a refund or possibly future credit. Let us know how you make out.