No transfer allowed for canceled exchange fee

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 1, 2018
I recently booked a week at Westgate Resorts in Florida. I paid a $120 exchange fee as well as a $250 premium for it being a holiday week. Circumstances changed and I had to cancel to the reservation. I was told I would get a refund for the $250 because I canceled 60 days in advance but no refund for the exchange fee. I asked if I could apply it to a different week and was told no. If I wanted to rebook I would have to pay another exchange fee. I asked to speak with a supervisor and was told the same thing. She just kept repeating policy over and over. I then emailed their customer service dept. and they said the same thing and emailed me a copy of the owner's manual. I can't believe there isn't any way to appeal this. I find it hard to believe that there is never an exception to this rule.I am not asking for a refund just to be able to apply the already paid for exchange fee to another week. Otherwise I paid Westgate $120 for absolutely nothing. Any advice on how to proceed from here would be greatly appreciated.

Jan 6, 2015
I think I have located the contacts for Westgate Resorts:
Mark Waltrip, Chief Operating Officer
Barry Siegel, Executive Vice President
Jim Gissy, Executive Vie President
David Siegel, Founder, CEO & President

I recommend you start with Mark Waltrip and work your way up the list. Please allow each contact 7-10 days to respond before moving to the next level.

When you email them, be very polite and gracious in your request. Criticism will not be well-received and might hurt your cause.

I also found these links that relate to your issue:
https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/westgate-developer-exchange-fees-help.191973/
https://www.redweek.com/forums/messages?thread_id=18863

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
I recently booked a week at Westgate Resorts in Florida. I paid a $120 exchange fee as well as a $250 premium for it being a holiday week. Circumstances changed and I had to cancel to the reservation. I was told I would get a refund for the $250 because I canceled 60 days in advance but no refund for the exchange fee. I asked if I could apply it to a different week and was told no. If I wanted to rebook I would have to pay another exchange fee. I asked to speak with a supervisor and was told the same thing. She just kept repeating policy over and over. I then emailed their customer service dept. and they said the same thing and emailed me a copy of the owner's manual. I can't believe there isn't any way to appeal this. I find it hard to believe that there is never an exception to this rule.I am not asking for a refund just to be able to apply the already paid for exchange fee to another week. Otherwise I paid Westgate $120 for absolutely nothing. Any advice on how to proceed from here would be greatly appreciated.
It seems to me that what you are asking is for someone to refund the fee you paid for them to do the work that they did do. Does that seem fair to you?
Over a 20 year period of owning an architectural firm, we had on one or two occasions a client contract for construction documents, permitting help, etc. when they later decided, for whatever reason, to not go ahead and build the project, they somehow felt that they didn’t need to pay us for the work we had done. They were wrong. We had done the work, under contract and they needed to pay for it.

Feb 1, 2018
It seems to me that what you are asking is for someone to refund the fee you paid for them to do the work that they did do. Does that seem fair to you?
Over a 20 year period of owning an architectural firm, we had on one or two occasions a client contract for construction documents, permitting help, etc. when they later decided, for whatever reason, to not go ahead and build the project, they somehow felt that they didn’t need to pay us for the work we had done. They were wrong. We had done the work, under contract and they needed to pay for it.
Was there any work involved? The phone call was approximately 5-7 minutes when the agent looked up in her database if the dates I asked for were available and then she reserved it.No time and effort involved and the agent gets paid by the hour. I don't think the comparison is the same as what you are describing.

Feb 1, 2018
I think I have located the contacts for Westgate Resorts:
Mark Waltrip, Chief Operating Officer
Barry Siegel, Executive Vice President
Jim Gissy, Executive Vie President
David Siegel, Founder, CEO & President

I recommend you start with Mark Waltrip and work your way up the list. Please allow each contact 7-10 days to respond before moving to the next level.

When you email them, be very polite and gracious in your request. Criticism will not be well-received and might hurt your cause.

I also found these links that relate to your issue:
https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/westgate-developer-exchange-fees-help.191973/
https://www.redweek.com/forums/messages?thread_id=18863
Thank you so much.I will definitely try that.

Feb 1, 2018
Moxie, can you post the terms and conditions you received when you purchased your original time share? There should be information in those terms on what is refundable and what is not.
I am sorry Neil, it was such a long time ago that I purchased it that I have lost track of the paperwork. It may be their policy but it doesn't allow for human error. I am just going to politely request a one time exception and see if they will allow me to use the exchange fee for another week. In all the years I have owned it this is the first time I have ever made such a request. I am going mention that in my letter and see if anything can be done. At this point I have nothing to lose.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I agree - you have nothing to lose. The worst they can say is no, the best is that you get up to one of the executives and they make an exception. We have seen things approved we never thought would be approved so give it a go.

Feb 1, 2018
Update on situation: I emailed one of the executives off the contact list I was sent. The executive emailed me back the next day stating that he would have someone from his team contact me. A very nice woman called me and said they would apply the already paid for exchange fee to whatever week I needed and then went a step further and booked the week for me at a resort that is hard to get into. Thanks to Neil and the rest of the team for this forum and for giving good advice. It got me my desired result. I also made sure I sent a thank you email to the executive and praised the associate who helped me out to show my appreciation for their consideration of the matter.

Jan 6, 2015
Excellent. Your case seemed self-evident to me. And kudos to them for handling this expeditiously and courteously ...

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
FANTASTIC! This is one aspect of the 'travel world' that always makes my eyes glaze over when I try to understand it. So happy that we were able to help.