New Rental Car with few miles (full gas & oil) overheated in France. Hertz/Thrifty sent us a bill for ~ $5000

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 21, 2018
I am writing about our difficult experience with Hertz/Thrifty while traveling in France in June 2017. Long story short, we were given a new rental car when the engine started heating up after we had barely drive about 60 miles. We immediately called Hertz roadside assistance, returned the car and were given another rental vehicle. All good thus far after we were told this is no fault of ours. You can imagine our shock when we received a bill for 4033 Euro (approx. $5000). Moreover, then 'invited' us to come back to Nice (France) for the damage inspection --- this after they know very well that we live in San Francisco

We have written to them strongly disputing the facts, but we continue to receive dunning letters for the 'payment'. Please help us

Here is the initial letter I wrote to them (on August 10, 2017)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am writing from the U.S to state the facts of what happened with the rental car in question. As you are aware we picked up the car late in the evening of June 23, 2017 at Nice Airport. We only drove the car on three afternoons before the check engine light came on. We never needed to fill gas , oil or any other fluids as the car was full of gas and oil when we rented it. Furthermore we did a second and detailed check with another attendant before exiting the premises and believed any scratches were noted and all fluids/gas was full/adequate.

On Monday afternoon June 26, we were heading back from Nice and one of the dashboard lights came on. We suspected something was amiss and immediately pulled over and turned the car off. We then called the number on our rental agreement for roadside assistance, after which the tow truck came and took the car. We then took a taxi to the airport to get a different rental car. At this time at the rental car counter, we specifically asked if we were personally liable for any damage, and the answer given to us was that we were NOT personally liable. We were told that this is a new car, which was under manufacturers warranty, which would cover for what was obviously a manufacturing defect.

My husband and I are of course very concerned that we may be seen as responsible for this event. The car did not “break down” and we did the responsible thing which was to immediately stop driving it and call for assistance. There is absolutely nothing that could point to our being responsible for the malfunction with the vehicle! We are not at fault and we believe it is fundamentally unacceptable to hold us accountable for either a manufacturing defect or a process failure from the rental company.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for your time and attention

Mahroushka

Last edited:

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
What meeting are you talking about?

You should not be responsible for this after driving 60 miles. We have company contacts on top of our page. Get the information for Hertz and write to them. Start dealing with corporate, not the office writing to you.

Read the information on the company contacts page on how to write. Let us know what happens.

Feb 21, 2018
What meeting are you talking about?

You should not be responsible for this after driving 60 miles. We have company contacts on top of our page. Get the information for Hertz and write to them. Start dealing with corporate, not the office writing to you.

Read the information on the company contacts page on how to write. Let us know what happens.
Hi Neil,

The meeting I am referring to was when Hertz/Thrifty 'invited' us to be present during the 'damage' inspection & evaluation being done in Nice, France. This was a couple months after the fact, and knowing fully well that we live in San Francisco and cannot attend this meeting.

I have tried numerous time to contact Hertz Corporate, but they have declined to help. Their answer is that Hertz France is a separate entity and that Hertz USA has nothing to do with this case

Apr 10, 2017
Have you directly emailed any of the company contacts listed for Hertz? If they can't help you ask to be directed to someone in France who can.

Jan 19, 2018
Good luck getting any kind of satisfying response from Hertz France, especially if you do not write to them in French (which I did...I am a native speaker). I have had two major issues with Hertz France both which were satisfactorily resolved by contacts at Hertz International, I believe based in Ireland. First try Ms. Perrini at lperrini@hertz.com then elevate to Barry Cooney at CRDUKONE@hertz.com. It may take a while but Mr. Cooney came through for me both times. I hope that he still works there!

Feb 21, 2018
Good luck getting any kind of satisfying response from Hertz France, especially if you do not write to them in French (which I did...I am a native speaker). I have had two major issues with Hertz France both which were satisfactorily resolved by contacts at Hertz International, I believe based in Ireland. First try Ms. Perrini at lperrini@hertz.com then elevate to Barry Cooney at CRDUKONE@hertz.com. It may take a while but Mr. Cooney came through for me both times. I hope that he still works there!
Thank you Carol, I have not had luck thus far but will reach out to the two contacts you have mentioned. Hope this works!