Need some input

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Mar 17, 2015
Hello! I have a question about airlines. I have the option of traveling with 1 stop to Europe on KLM (Business) or 2 stops on Delta (Delta One/business). I have read that KLM is pretty budget and even the business class is not as good as Delta, and have always been restricted to flying AA/BA in the past. Anyone have thoughts or experience with KLM vs. Delta? I am tempted to go with the only one stop vs. 2 as I believe every time there is a connection is another chance for something to go wrong, but since I am paying for business class with cash and not miles, would like the better product. Flight prices are within $10 of one another. Thanks in advance!

Sep 19, 2015
One thing to consider is that Business class has different configurations on different air crafts. The configuration makes a difference. Does the Delta two stop include a domestic flight? Where would you be connecting?

Also flying KLM will give you EU 261 protection from the US to Europe and back which is important; Delta is only under EU 261 regulations when leaving the EU.

Mar 17, 2015
One thing to consider is that Business class has different configurations on different air crafts. The configuration makes a difference. Does the Delta two stop include a domestic flight? Where would you be connecting?

Also flying KLM will give you EU 261 protection from the US to Europe and back which is important; Delta is only under EU 261 regulations when leaving the EU.
Choice of flights are IAH- AMS - BUD on KLM, they have the lay flat 1-2-1 seating.

Delta - HOU - ATL- CDG - BUD - Looks like it would be the staggered seating 1-2-1.

I did not think about having the EU protection, since I am purchasing travel insurance, but that is a big difference.

Sep 19, 2015
The EU protection is important with an involuntary downgrade -- you pay for business and they give you economy because of a broken seat or such.

If Delta is flying one of their older planes such as a 330 the business class lay flat may not be that much better than KLM -- Delta flies the lay flat 767 JFK to SEA sometimes, and it was fine, but not that wonderful. I have not heard from anyone that has flown the newer 350 which are supposed to be better.

And Houston to Atlanta would be one extra trip, one extra connection, one extra stress -- but that is just me.

I think the issues with KLM also are airplane specific -- 330 not great, 747 better.

You may want to check flyertalk to see what people there say. I would not trust the mileage bloggers, they are fairly useless -- Flyertalk has people that have to travel for work and are not trying to sell a credit card or something of the sort.

Apr 10, 2017
The ATL-CDG leg could also be a code share with Air France so you could end up on one of its planes. I'd check out Seat Guru and see what they say on there. Personally, having one fewer connection would count for a lot with me.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Two sources for your research: SeatGuru and FlyerTalk. It will take lots of reading and the making of notes to come up with the best plan. I'm pretty much in your shoes after a R/T on Virgin Atlantic with absolutely horrible seats in Upper Class last month. I've flown them forever, now I need to find out all about the other airlines, their seats and their service. I'm not looking forward to it.

Oct 5, 2016
I have always found KLM quite satisfactory. It is not a budget airline by any standard. The easy choice on your flights is that the KLM flight has only one connection in Amsterdam, a very nice airport. The other flight has two connections, one of which is Charles DeGaul. One connection is better than two and CDG is an awful airport, always included in lists of the world’s worst.

Mar 17, 2015
Thank you everyone! I have decided the one stop is best and after much research decided KLM is the way to go for schedule and price.
@ mike - thank you, the reviews seem to be ppl either love it or don't, but I am going with those that say it is a good airline.

@ jsn55 - yes, so much to wade through and also just trying to sort through real problems vs. perceived or not important to me, lol!

@ Johnbaker - I was worried about CDG, it is not my favorite airport, but I can navigate it when necessary.

@ neil - booking direct with KLM, as of right now all flights are on KLM, not even code shared in Europe. Of course, I realize this could change as the flight is a ways out, but at least I have done what I can for now on that end.

Thank you again for all the input!