• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

Need PayPal assistance

Jun 13, 2018
Short Version-Saw item advertised on Facebook. Ordered. Paid via PayPal. Item was shipped from China. Item received was nothing like the advertisement. PayPal won't refund unless I send back to the seller but shipping to China will be more than I paid for the item.

Barry Graham

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Jan 7, 2015
Did the money come from your PayPal account cash or did it come from an associated credit card, debit card or bank account?

Reactions: TropicalRichmond
Feb 3, 2019
I think we need a slightly longer version...

What's PayPal's policy governing refunds when you've used their service to pay a merchant? Have you complied with all the terms? What efforts have you already made to resolve this situation to your satisfaction?

Unfortunately, the seller was a scammer. Part of the scam is to make you pay to send shoddy merchandise all the way back to China - which inevitably costs more than whatever you bought in the first place. They know very few, if any, dissatisfied customers will be willing to spend more to do so than they'll get for their return, so the company ends up keeping the money.

Reactions: jsmithw

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii

What's PayPal's policy governing refunds when you've used their service to pay a merchant? Have you complied with all the terms? What efforts have you already made to resolve this situation to your satisfaction?

Unfortunately, the seller was a scammer. Part of the scam is to make you pay to send shoddy merchandise all the way back to China - which inevitably costs more than whatever you bought in the first place. They know very few, if any, dissatisfied customers will be willing to spend more to do so than they'll get for their return, so the company ends up keeping the money.
And even if you sent it back, there is no guarantee that the scammer would admit it was received or that the scammer would not say it was damaged or unusable. This is a typical scam on FB (and elsewhere on the internet) involving Chinese junk merchandise.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I wish people would search for complaints on those companies that advertise on FB before they buy. If you actually look at the comments many people who have bought the products complain about the quality or never receiving the items.

I hope you didn’t pay a lot for it because PayPals policy is you need to return the item and the scammers know this. Please post appropriate feedback on the comments for this company to warn others.

Jun 13, 2018

Long Version-

I saw a sponsored post (ad) for an item that I knew was a scam going in, It was listed as a Gilypark Game Console With 1199GB. You can see the same advertisement at https://homeassist.store/products/gilypark-game-console-with-1199gb-games I was curious as to what would actually be sent for $9.90 plus shipping

What I received were two Tamagotchi toys.

I filed a product received not as ordered dispute with PayPal and received an offer of 50% reimbursement. I declined it and received an offer of 100% (including the shipping to me) if I send them back to China, I know PayPal has a program to cover return shipping up to $30.00 but from the little research I have done shipping back to china through a method that provides proof of delivery will be more than $30.00

Jun 13, 2018
I wish people would search for complaints on those companies that advertise on FB before they buy. If you actually look at the comments many people who have bought the products complain about the quality or never receiving the items.

I hope you didn’t pay a lot for it because PayPals policy is you need to return the item and the scammers know this. Please post appropriate feedback on the comments for this company to warn others.
The seller is not on Facebook any more so I can't leave feedback

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Long Version-

I saw a sponsored post (ad) for an item that I knew was a scam going in, It was listed as a Gilypark Game Console With 1199GB. You can see the same advertisement at https://homeassist.store/products/gilypark-game-console-with-1199gb-games I was curious as to what would actually be sent for $9.90 plus shipping

What I received were two Tamagotchi toys.

I filed a product received not as ordered dispute with PayPal and received an offer of 50% reimbursement. I declined it and received an offer of 100% (including the shipping to me) if I send them back to China, I know PayPal has a program to cover return shipping up to $30.00 but from the little research I have done shipping back to china through a method that provides proof of delivery will be more than $30.00
And you got exactly what you paid for: a scam. You also encouraged the seller to continue this practice. They ARE on still FB, just using a different name.

Jun 13, 2018
So you went into it knowing it was a scam? It’s too bad you used a debit card and not a credit card. You have more protection with a cc then a debit card.

Have you contacted your bank and asked if you could file a dispute? You didn’t actually pay WITH PayPal, you pays through PayPal.
I did not try to file a dispute yet because I believe I have to let PayPal try to resolve the issues first

justlisa

Feb 12, 2019
If you knew it was a scam going into it, why did you turn down PayPal's 50% offer? Considering PayPal's requirement to return the merchandise this probably would have been your best outcome.

Reactions: R.L. and Neil Maley
Jun 13, 2018
If you knew it was a scam going into it, why did you turn down PayPal's 50% offer? Considering PayPal's requirement to return the merchandise this probably would have been your best outcome.
Because I expect as a payment processor they can take back the entire amount I paid and refund me if I get the correct help.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Because I expect as a payment processor they can take back the entire amount I paid and refund me if I get the correct help.
But you aren’t meeting the PayPal requirement if shipping it back.

I read the terms and conditions on the link you posted. The company doesn’t accept returns but say if the item is not as described, refer to the terms and conditions. I read the terms and conditions and it referred back to the purchase.

Call your bank and see if they yet will allow you to dispute the charge for not as described.

Reactions: justlisa and VoR61
Jun 13, 2018
But you aren’t meeting the PayPal requirement if shipping it back.

I read the terms and conditions on the link you posted. The company doesn’t accept returns but say if the item is not as described, refer to the terms and conditions. I read the terms and conditions and it referred back to the purchase.

Call your bank and see if they yet will allow you to dispute the charge for not as described.
The link I posted was from a different seller of the "same item"

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Did you check the comments on the item before you bought? There are always comments and I have seen so many people write they never received the items or they were not as described.

However, that still doesn’t negate the requirement of returning the item if you are disputing the purchase. Your bank might require the same thing .

Reactions: VoR61