Need Just a Few MQM's

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Nov 19, 2017
I am a Delta platinum sky miles card holder and usually only travel on Delta 2 to 3 times a year. This year has been an exception year for travel, with trips to Cabo, Wine country CA, North Carolina eclipse watching and a long fall European trip. This all leaving me “66” miles short of qualifying for Silver Medallion at Delta as of today November 19th,2017. In conversation with their customer service rep. The only way to make up this 66 miles is to fly somewhere by December 31st. currently the cheapest flight I can find is Vegas at 59 each way … red eye fun. Note I have already qualified the Medallion Qualified Dollars via my credit card…

• Is Silver medallion worth it? I am planning a couple trips for 2018
  • Is there a work around Delta is not telling me about? (Trust Factor)
  • Is there a work around you may know about?
  • Will Delta have a catch up program in December?

Barry Graham

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Jan 7, 2015
William, did you earn the Platinum second 10000 MQM bonus? I'm assuming you got the first 10000 by earning the MQD waiver.

I wouldn't count on a catch up promotion. When you are Silver you'll be competing with a lot of higher status people to get upgraded but it could happen depending on the route and timing. There are airport and baggage benefits but you may already get them through the card. I think that flying is the best way to earn those missing miles unless you can earn another 10k MQM by spending 50K on the Amex if you haven't already.

Last edited:

Carol Phillips

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 28, 2014
Coastal South Carolina
Often, toward the end of the year, I receive an offer from Delta to BUY more MQMs. They are not inexpensive and if I recall correctly there's 500 or 1000 miles minimum.

You might also inquire from Delta if there's a higher level credit card available to you that would award you an immediate X Skymiles (or award them after you spend a certain amount in the first month). I know I was ~50 miles short of reaching a Medallion Level and chose to upgrade the credit card for the bonus miles.

Barry Graham

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Jan 7, 2015
Often, toward the end of the year, I receive an offer from Delta to BUY more MQMs. They are not inexpensive and if I recall correctly there's 500 or 1000 miles minimum.

You might also inquire from Delta if there's a higher level credit card available to you that would award you an immediate X Skymiles (or award them after you spend a certain amount in the first month). I know I was ~50 miles short of reaching a Medallion Level and chose to upgrade the credit card for the bonus miles.
Usually it's cheaper to buy a ticket and fly somewhere than to buy the MQM! Maybe this year will be different. The instant MQM is a good idea. You can apply for another Delta Sky Miles card (like the Reserve card) that gives instant MQM, after a certain amount of spending, even if you have another Delta card of a different type. It also gives you Sky Club access. However for $450 and the couple of trips a year you will do, it's probably not worth it for you.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I believe that Delta has more credit cards than the $450 annual fee one. This puzzle will require a calculator to determine which is less expensive, taking the durn trip to Vegas or getting a new card. Pretty short opportunity to get a card and fulfill the requirements before 12/31, but I'm sure it could be done.

This happened to me with Continental many years ago, I just sent customer service a letter and asked them to let me keep my gold status for the coming year. Perhaps DL might be amendable to such a request ... I mean, 66 MILES???

johnbaker

Verified Member
Oct 2, 2014
@William Karkula I've got a DL Reserve Amex business card which effectively gives me Silver status every year.

Short answer is I don't see much benefit above what I get with the CC. At least at my airport even as a gold, I hardly ever see an upgrade to first. Occasionally, I get lucky with a Comfort+ upgrade.

You do get some preferred seat benefits. Here's the link https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/skymiles/medallion-program/silver-medallion-status.html

FYI - when it comes to your second question, no airline informs people when they are close except for maybe the big elites (ie a diamond is 60 miles short).

Another thought ... DL MQMs roll over every year. If you think you'll do 25,066 miles next year, you might intentionally hold off so you get gold.

Jul 27, 2016
@William Karkula I've got a DL Reserve Amex business card which effectively gives me Silver status every year.

Short answer is I don't see much benefit above what I get with the CC. At least at my airport even as a gold, I hardly ever see an upgrade to first. Occasionally, I get lucky with a Comfort+ upgrade.

You do get some preferred seat benefits. Here's the link https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/skymiles/medallion-program/silver-medallion-status.html

FYI - when it comes to your second question, no airline informs people when they are close except for maybe the big elites (ie a diamond is 60 miles short).

Another thought ... DL MQMs roll over every year. If you think you'll do 25,066 miles next year, you might intentionally hold off so you get gold.
MQMs only roll over if you get status. So, if you end 2017 with 45,000 MQMs, you get Silver, and roll over 20k. If you don't get at least 25k MQMs, though, nothing rolls over.

Nov 19, 2017
William, did you earn the Platinum second 10000 MQM bonus? I'm assuming you got the first 10000 by earning the MQD waiver.

I wouldn't count on a catch up promotion. When you are Silver you'll be competing with a lot of higher status people to get upgraded but it could happen depending on the route and timing. There are airport and baggage benefits but you may already get them through the card. I think that flying is the best way to earn those missing miles unless you can earn another 10k MQM by spending 50K on the Amex if you haven't already.
I only received the first 10,000. I don't think I'll get to 50,000 spending :cool:

Barry Graham

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Jan 7, 2015
I believe that Delta has more credit cards than the $450 annual fee one. This puzzle will require a calculator to determine which is less expensive, taking the durn trip to Vegas or getting a new card. Pretty short opportunity to get a card and fulfill the requirements before 12/31, but I'm sure it could be done.

This happened to me with Continental many years ago, I just sent customer service a letter and asked them to let me keep my gold status for the coming year. Perhaps DL might be amendable to such a request ... I mean, 66 MILES???
The Reserve and Platinum are the only ones that give MQM based on spending.