Need help re cancelled flight. PL playing games

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 8, 2018
I booked a business class ticket from Tel Aviv (TLV) to Chennai, India (MAA) and return for a total price of US $2,539.11.
The booking was done through Priceline and was built as follows:

TLV to Amman (AMM) on Royal Jordanian (RJ)
AMM – Doha (DOH) of Qatar Airways (QR)
DOH – MAA on QR

Return:

MAA – DOH on QR
DOH – Larnaca (LCA) on QR
LCA – TLV on Agean Air
The first leg of the trip (RJ) was delayed due to bad weather in Amman and closure of the airport. I requested to be shifted to the following day but was assured by the RJ agents in TLV that there is no need. They assured me and the other 40 passengers which were connecting with the QR flight that RJ is in close contact with QR and that the QR connection will wait. Well. It did not – it even left 5 minutes early right in front of our eyes.
After hours of wait, and despite being the only Business Class passenger with this problem, RJ did not offer any alternatives which were even barely reasonable (I do not consider 2 sleepless nights on airplanes or in airports as reasonable). More reasonable alternatives (on Etihad) were available but were rejected by RJ since they were not part of the "one World" alliance. After a few more hours, I asked that to be returned to the port of origin (TLV) and that the rest of the trip will be cancelled. After agreeing to that I was asked to wait some more and after approx 30 mins, the supervisor came and told me that they booked me to continue to my original destination in the long route I referred to before. I refused and at the end I was sent to wait 6 hours for my home bound flight.
Upon arrival back home I booked a flight (again on PL) through Swiss and Lufthansa for the following day.
I called QR and was told that they could not deal with the ticket because it was changed by RJ and that I should call Priceline. They did agree to cancel my flight back but would not give me a refund only a credit for future use at QR without being able to tell me the amount of the credit.
I then called PL and was informed by the PL agent that PL cannot deal with this issue since the ticket was exchanged by the airline. At my request I was transferred to a supervisor (Kenny ID # W1) who repeated the same message. I submitted a written request to PL but got no response or reaction.
I refuse to accept being sent to run in circles between the airlines. I bought the ticket from PL and not from the airline, and cannot accept that the change that was made by the airline without my request, permission or even knowledge put the issue in my court. I am fault-less in this situation and should not only get a full refund but also be compensated for the annoyance and aggravation and the full day I had to wait at the Amman airport. This is without even mentioning the damages I had due to the postponement of important business meetings I was traveling to.
I really do not know what else I can do.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Here is the big question- were these all on One PNR ticket (One ticket for All flights) did Priceline book three separate tickets?

Knowing that is key as to the responsibilities of each airline. If they are not all on one ticket- then airline two is not responsible for you not making it on time for their flight and would charge you for new tickets. And the first airline is not responsible for airline 2. Their only obligation is to either rebook you on the next available flight (which could be a day or two or three down the road) or provide a refund.

Feb 8, 2018
Thanks Neil. Yes. They are all with one PNR. To the best of my understanding this is a Qatar Airlines issued ticket.

Jan 6, 2015
From the information you posted I was able to extract the following timeline:
  • You purchased a Qatar Airlines issued ticket (one PNR) through Priceline for the following:

TLV-AMM (on Royal Jordanian), connecting from there to DOH-MMA using Qatar Airways
    Returning via MAA-DOH-LCA on Qatar and LCA-TLV on Agean Air
  • The first leg of the trip (RJ) was delayed due to bad weather in Amman and closure (???) of the airport
  • You requested to be shifted to the following day but was assured by the RJ agents in TLV that the QR connection flight would wait, but it did not.
  • RJ (???) offered no reasonable alternatives (2 sleepless nights on airplanes or in airports)
  • There were more reasonable alternatives on Etihad but these were rejected by RJ since they were not part of the "one World" alliance
  • You asked to be returned to TLV and that the rest of the trip be cancelled
  • After approx 30 mins, a supervisor (RJ again?) stated that they booked you through to your original destination in the long route referred to earlier
  • You declined and waited 6 hours for your flight to TLV
  • You subsequently called QR and were told that they could not deal with the ticket because it was changed by RJ and that you should call Priceline. They did, however, agree to cancel your return flights but offered only a credit for future use at QR without being able to tell me the amount of the credit.
  • You then called PL and were informed that PL cannot deal with this issue since the ticket was exchanged by the airline.
  • You were transferred to a supervisor (Kenny ID # W1) who repeated the same message, and also submitted a written request to PL but got no response or reaction
It seems to me that the difficulties you experienced have several underlying causes:
  • In addition to six (6) connecting flights using three (3) different airlines, Priceline (an OTA) was added to the travel equation. This made problem-solving more difficult as you discovered. Too often the airlines and the OTAs end up finger-pointing, which leaves you the passenger in the middle.
  • Although your connecting flight at AMM was with Qatar (which was also who issued your ticket), you attempted resolution at AMM through an RJ agent (this may be the correct approach, but it is counter-intuitive to me)
  • You did not contact Priceline until after you returned to TLV
In addition to those, I am puzzled by your statement that the AMM airport was closed yet RJ transported you there.

All that said, you can use the Company Contacts link at the top of this page to present your case to Royal Jordanian (since they handled your issues on that day). Before you do, be sure to read and follow the instructions at the top of the initial Company Contacts page first. And remember to include your desired compensation.

Jan 6, 2015
Writing Practices to Consider ...
  • Begin by thanking them for their time and consideration. This sets a respectful tone for the message to follow.
  • Present the relevant facts in an orderly fashion. The person to whom you will be escalating this will want to parse the events quickly. I prefer this format:
Month Day
Time of day (if multiple entries for that day) followed by the shortest possible description of events​
  • Avoid criticism and "how to run your business" statements. These are rarely successful and often harmful.
  • Include your desired resolution. Bear in mind that excessive requests can turn them off to your cause.

Last edited:

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
You are indeed 'faultless' Rago ... with one exception. You booked through a cut-rate online agency. The minute there are issues with flights, the passenger is hog-tied because Priceline owns the res. The airlines put you in last place when it comes to customer service, if indeed you can even get them to talk with you. I am not trying to discourage you, but to present reality to you so the process of a credit/refund is not so annoying.

You will be successful in righting this wrong, but it will take a long time and a great deal of effort. Follow our guidelines; be polite, patient and persistent and NEVER give up. The internet booking sites are masters at stringing you along until you get tired of the fight and go away. Good luck and please let us know the outcome.

Feb 8, 2018
Neil, Thank you for your detailed answer. The story - as described by you - is correct. I will start pestering the various execs (RJ, QR and Priceline). Will report back.

In order not to leave you perplexed, I'll explain the 2 points you marked with question marks. 1 - The Amman AP was closed til around 1030 am when the fog dissipated and it opened. The RJ flight left for Tel Aviv only then (about 2 hours late). The net flight time is only 20 minutes so it arrived to TLV, did a quick turn and flew back. We boarded at around 1105 and reached the gate in Amman around 1150 am and saw the QR flight push back. 2 - The reason I (and all the other passengers dealt with the RJ agent is because there were NO QR agents there. They went home once the flight boarded and RJ dealt with all of us since we were flown in by them.

Jan 6, 2015
When you do, I suggest you use a bulleted list similar to what I presented above. They need to process your experience quickly and easily ...

Oct 10, 2016
Tucson, AZ
I have had issues with Spirit Airlines, Air Canada, and American Airlines. I agree that persistence, politeness, and perseverance works. If you keep on them, I found that if no other reason, they will compensate you just to get you off their back. I got 4 vouchers for future flights from Spirit for horrible customer service, a gift card from Air Canada for an overcharged bag,, and $20 from AA for overcharging a checked bag. BUT you have to be patient and have the time to keep on them. Some people do not have the time or patience to pursue these kinds of issues to the final resolution, which if reasonable, will go in your favor.