1. Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
    Dismiss Notice

Need help on getting my refund back

Discussion in 'Expedia' started by cici, Jan 11, 2017.

1. cici

。。。

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  2. Patina

Patina Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

I hate to be the bearer of bad news.......you are not eligible for a refund. The first agent was correct in that when you purchase a non-refundable ticket, if you do not travel on your original itinerary, you can use the value of the ticket toward a new ticket minus any change fees. Even if the ticket is departing and arriving into/out of the same airports, if you change the date or time of the flights, the ticket will be re-calcuated based on the current fare codes available which may be higher than your original fare price. The fare rules are clearly stated at the time of purchase and should also accompany the receipt you received from Expedia.

The second agent is also correct in that you have the option of a credit to use toward a future flight to be used within one year of the date of purchase. There will be a change fee associated with the change when you use the ticket value. In other words, you pay a change fee at the time the change is made, either by changing the ticket now or at a later date.

Your best bet would be to write to Expedia's customer service (find the email address on their website) asking them to waive the change fee. Be brief, polite and professional. The likelihood of them waiving the fee is slim since it is the airline that charges for the change fee, Expedia just passes the fee through to the customer. Expedia may have an additional change fee that they have the prerogative to waive.

In the future, you may want to consider using a travel agent to book your airline tickets so that they can outline the terms of the ticket you are purchasing. Another suggestion is to book directly with the airline. You are still acting as your own travel agent so need to be aware of the terms of the ticket but, in this case, you would be asking the airline to waive the change fee.

Good luck and let us know your progress!

3. Just A Guy

Agree with Patina, and I'll add a piece of advice:

When you email Expedia, either remove the complaints about the quality of their customer service reps' English, or have someone edit your email to them, since the post here indicates that your English may not be entirely fluent either.

4. Carrie Livingston

Staff Member Advocate

I almost spit out my drink...:)

jsn55 likes this.
  5. jsn55

Staff Member Advocate

I'm sorry this happened to you, but my colleagues are correct. Booking your own travel on the internet is not a simple task.

ADVOCATE ADVICE
    If you encounter customer service people whose English is hard to understand, don't do business with that company. An online travel agent (OTA) is an order-taker; they deal in high volume to make their business plan work. There is little, if any, customer service available. By the very nature of booking for yourself on the internet, you must accept that you are responsible for your travel plans and be willing to do the research to understand what you're buying.

Carrie Livingston, Neil and Patina like this.